G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Future G35X Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I can't feel or hear my AWD "kicking in" at all. It's pretty fluid to me with no jolt or bang or anything. On a dry road, i can't tell a difference

I'm pretty sure it works fine as the car is awesome in the snow, but if i were to go test drive my own car right now I couldn't do anything that would make it kick in so to speak.
Yeah but doesnt the slip light mean its using AWD? I dunno I rarely notice mine being used but it has saved my *** a few times. + 1 for the 18 year olds who own THEIR own G cause I do to. I hate when people are all like nice care mommy bought you lol, I mean my parents dont neglect me sorry were kinda well off but I bought my car with my OWN earned money so yeah. And no black cars? Thats a tragedy. Johnny Cash would be pissed right now cause I know hed be in a black suit rollin in a black G if he were here still.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by vtguy429
Yeah but doesnt the slip light mean its using AWD?
No, that just means you lost traction and the car did something to correct it like apply a brake, reduce power and even adjust the AWD bias.

But the car is always in AWD at a dead stop with 75/25% split up to a certain MPH. And if you hit the snow button, it's 50/50% up to 11MPH and then computer controlled after that, so the AWD is always active even if the slip light is not on.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
No, that just means you lost traction and the car did something to correct it like apply a brake, reduce power and even adjust the AWD bias.

But the car is always in AWD at a dead stop with 75/25% split up to a certain MPH. And if you hit the snow button, it's 50/50% up to 11MPH and then computer controlled after that, so the AWD is always active even if the slip light is not on.
I was under the impression that the car is always in RWD and then the computer assistance kicks it into 75/25 when you start to fishtail or spin a little...at least this is what the dealer told me when I bought my X 2 weeks ago. So technically, the car is always in AWD mode, but only switches to AWD when it needs to be. Otherwise, you're in RWD until that happens.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the dealer was right. your car is Always rwd until you slip or loose traction. the the computer takes over and switches it to 75% read and 25% front unless you use the snow button which it then changes to 50/50 but in the time its on you cant exceed 15mph. So in reality the x is rwd until it detects loss of traction then it becomes awd.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
The dealer was mostly right. It is 100% RWD under normal circumstances, but it's not a fixed switch to 25/75 when slippage is detected. The ATTESA-ETS system can split the torque anywhere from 0/100 up to 50/50 by varying the oil pressure in the transfer case. It does this in a continuous manner, not a discrete manner (i.e. there aren't any fixed split points). The Snow Mode button will temporarily split the torque 50/50, but will also limit throttle response to help prevent slippage. It switches back to "normal" mode above 12 mph.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by h23sdominate
the dealer was right. your car is Always rwd until you slip or loose traction. the the computer takes over and switches it to 75% read and 25% front unless you use the snow button which it then changes to 50/50 but in the time its on you cant exceed 15mph. So in reality the x is rwd until it detects loss of traction then it becomes awd.

I disagree. From a dead stop the car is always AWD. The exact split is computer controlled and depending on if the snow button is pressed. There is always a mechanical connection. It's one of the reasons an X must be flatbedded and cannot use a RWD dyno even with the fuse pulled.

12MPH seems to be the magic number. Above that the car is 100% RWD unless slip is detected, but at low speed, the AWD system is active to some degree....it coule be 1%/99% but it is active.

There wa sa good link posting up exactly how the system worked but i can't find it.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is all good info. Thanks guys. Next winter I'll have to throw on a set of Blizzaks and prey for snow. ROTFL

Old 04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Or get some real tires like Nokian WRG2's. Blizzaks are overpriced and overrated, and will only last maybe 2-3 winters at best. Nokians will last at least twice as long, and are far better tires. I've had them on 3 different cars in northern Michigan, and they've been awesome. http://www.nokiantires.com/

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I disagree. From a dead stop the car is always AWD. The exact split is computer controlled and depending on if the snow button is pressed. There is always a mechanical connection. It's one of the reasons an X must be flatbedded and cannot use a RWD dyno even with the fuse pulled.

12MPH seems to be the magic number. Above that the car is 100% RWD unless slip is detected, but at low speed, the AWD system is active to some degree....it coule be 1%/99% but it is active.

There wa sa good link posting up exactly how the system worked but i can't find it.
this could be true but at the same time might not be, anybody ever get on some gravel and give it some gas from a dead stop? you can actually get your tires to spin for that half rotation or watever it is before slip actually kicks in

Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 PM
To the OP...

...I was in your situation last summer: looking for a G that I would be commuting 100 miles a day from Western MA to just north of Hartford in. I settled on the X. You're lucky in that the depreciation of the G has increased like crazy in the last year, and you'll probably score an '06 for the price of my '04.

I just wanted to give you a little advice based on what I've learned in the last year. First, as people have said, the X is incredible in the snow. I had some decent A/S tires on this winter and it was a blast to beast around in. I can't imagine how sick it would be in snow tires.

Second, I would swap it for a 6MT in a heartbeat if it was possible to do so without losing any money. I didn't regret my decision for the X until recently when I started modding my car. The RWD G's can be great in the snow too with good tires, and you absolutely can't beat the 6MT as far as the fun factor. I LOVE my car, but I get so bored with the 5AT! It's not that I have a huge problem with it, it's just that when I think about how much FUNNER driving would be with a 6MT, I get oh so sad

I wish I had given the 6MT vs. 5AT thing a bit more thought when I bought my car, instead of immediately justifying the 5AT due to the AWD. Just make sure that you do the same.

Either way, good luck with your search and post pics when you pick up your new baby!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
UMassG35,
I know what you're talking about. I always had manual trans up until a few years ago. Sitting in stop & go traffic on I84 in my '93 Altima convinced me that my left leg couldn't take it any more. As Dirty Harry says,"A man's got to know his limitations".

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Same with me really. My last car was a manual and sitting in 1hr+ of stop and go traffic for 20 miles really started getting to me.

However, i also wanted AWD for the winter, and i wasn't all that disappointed to find it only came Auto. To be honest, in terms of a daily commuter vehicle, i'm really not missing driving a manual trans.

I have another vehicle with a manual, so when i really need to bang gears, i drive that.