G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

TechnoSquare Comments

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TechnoSquare Comments

2 Questions:

How do I set up "my ride?" I have quickly looked into it, but there doesn't seem to be an upload icon or a tab for a new user to start one...

and secondly, could you list out in detail what you mean by a "big difference" since the TS ECU Reflash?

Thanks.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen Heat Shield
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
02 Maxima SE 4AT 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 07-09-2004, 02:15 PM

These G35's without FI are almost bumping 14.0 and running close to 100 mph in the 1/4 mile. To use round numbers, that speed is about 15 feet per second (actually 102 mph).

That means that every 0.1 second represents about a car length. It doesn't sound like much (unless you are in the car that's a car length behind!)

Old 07-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bosso,
if you really want to open up and release all that power you have waiting in your car, you need an exhaust and maybe cats. however, with only the mods you have right now, you should be feeling mad gains as yours is an automatic. the TS upgrade really hits for the auto sedan. but the only way to prove it is through dyno. i honestly dont thionk you can feel 20 ponies. plus, you've been away from your car a couple days at least so you might not remember. i drove mine back to back and i saw the dynos. there definitely was a difference.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 PM

John,

A suggestion. Replace your K&N SR with the stock system. Drive around for a couple hundred miles to let the TS ECU adapt to that configuration. Then re-install the K&N system with your custom Injen heat shield.

DaveO
03 G35 AT Sedan / DP / Willow / Premium / Sport / Aero / Mods

Old 07-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The other problem is most of these mods don't increase anything below 4,000 rpm so the 3.357 x 3.54 [AT] =11.88 torque multiplication [less friction/tire losses].

Ideal numbers are in the 13 to 13.5:1 range.

Why not order a 3.538 [105.4%] or a 3.694 [110%] rear diff gear set [and speed correction gear]........Nissan also makes a 3.90 [116.2%] and 4.083 [121.6%] rear gear set.

A 3.90 diff gear [13.8:1] would increase 1st gear torque by 16% but decrease steady state rpm highway MPG by the same amount. IS it worth losing 4 MPG?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:02 PM

If you wish to make these cars fast and stay away from FI so as not to melt the VQ, it is a matter of simple bolt ons. 1st, lose the cats. 2nd, stick with a dry panel filter wit stock intake on a Z tube (for G35s), 3rd do the pulley and grounding kit, and lastly decrease your rear tire/wheel diameter by about 3 %. It will maximize your final drive to punch you out of the hole while giving you a lower road to rim height making the tire slip angle easier to optimize. My ex-'03 Enthusiast Z did 0-60 in 4.9 via G Tech on stock programming with a wheel/tire diameter decreased 4.65%. The stock ECM parameters will pull timing if the readings from the intake are too out of spec. On an NA car, adding a little timing and tweaking the A/F ratio should not give huge expectations to the buyer. Peak HP dyno brag rights are only applicable if it increases your cars acceleration ability, IMHO.

'04 6MT Sport Sedan

UR crank pulley
Helix test pipes
G35C midpipe
Z intake tube
Nismo Sport "dry" air filter
Nismo grounding kit
RS*R Z33 springs
Hawk HPS brake pads
Motul 600 RBF

Old 07-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

No problem John:

Issue 1: "How do I set up "my ride?""

I clicked on your username and your "2003 sedan" and it looks like you've already set up a "my ride". The only thing is you need to add pictures. Once you are logged in, go to "My G35" under control panel, navigate to the vehicle profile utility. Once in there, go to the picture section, then you can upload your JPEG files.

On Issue 2: "could you list out in detail what you mean by a "big difference" since the TS ECU Reflash?"

I think this is a valid question. Mind you, my dyno isn't scheduled until next TH, but here's the details on my perception of the TS ECU F-Spec reflash immediately following the my installation last TH:

1) The drive by wire is much more responsive. While there was never any noticeable "lag" between pedal input and acceleration per se, it seems to me like the pedal input is much more responsive; i.e. I have to depress the pedal less to gain the same or better acceleration.
2) The engine seems to actually rev faster. In other words, the amount of time it takes to get to say 6,000 rpm seems to be less.
3) The overall engine power delivery seems smoother, better balanced, and just plain stronger. I think the reflash advances the ignition timing resulting in this.
4) At WOT, my engine really opened up, especially at the top end. I reached 130 mph on my initial test drive before I knew it. The car kept pulling strongly, but I saw a wolfpack ahead and did not want to be a goober so I slowed down. Previously, I had only maxed out at 120 mph and that took some time to get there, relatively speaking.

I understand these are just my "perceptions", but I get the feeling like this ECU upgrade resulted in pulling my intake and exhaust mods together in one package to yield their potential. We'll see next TH at the dyno.

2004 Sedan 5AT STS
Huper Optik Ceramic 50/Underbody Diffusers/Clear Corners/Brake Cover
GroundingGear 7 Wire/Z-Tube/Stillen High Flow Airbox/HKS Sport Exhaust/Technosquare F-Spec ECU

Old 07-10-2004, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the nice response...I updated my Ride...I couldn't find it in the 15 pages of vehicles, but it said it went through the whole process successfully.

As for the TS Reflash...I easily got up to 140 a few times b/f getting enough room one very early morning to hit 145 (OEM max for 5ATs) and it always pulled strong up there...it seems to pull a little higher there now, but besides that and the increased Red Line...I was actually commenting to my wife tonight on the way to get an ice cream how there seemed to be a lag when I floored it to when it either downshifted or started pulling rpms...so right now I am lost.

Wtih my big Kuhmos and 17' rims, 2 Avaya PBXs, and my Golf Bags in the trunk...witha a full tank of gas it pulled a Gtech time of 5.99 0-60 and 14.58 @ 98.7 mph tonight in the one save take off I got...so we'll see when I hit the Dyno.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen Heat Shield
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
02 Maxima SE 4AT 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 07-10-2004, 01:55 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Dam 145, this is obviosuly now rite? One thing I hate about my auto is that if im too low in 3rd even 3500 rpm it gradually gains speed then becomes quick and when im in 4th its slow as hell. In the manual you get instant power from a rool for example when you're racing, it sucks. Leaving it in D on the highway is so much faster than manumatic unless your at 5k rpm on the hgihway then push it then even once you hit 4th it seems so slow, I HATE AUTO Also ive gotten up to about 135 and it took pretty long, flooring it on the highway at a safe distance I can only get up to 120 and then it feels like it dies! This sucks!! Hopefully with my new mods on monday i'll be pulling hard, we"ll see. On a good note, I beat a new G35 coupe owner tonight from a roll each of us had 3 people in it, he kept jumping and jumping finally we did 3 beeps and I had 3/4 a CL on him!! I also ran into that turbo gsx eclipse again tonight (you guys might not have read the story) and took it again same thing, as soon as I entered 4th from a stop going throuhg all gears I started pulling and same thing happened on the launch. I powerbreaked and got a half cl on him and hes stick, it sounded sick and was lettin his BOV go off and it was loud as hell. Shouldve brought the camera. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-10-2004, 10:33 AM

boss,
That's an awesome time with your mods. I guarantee that if you do the cats you'll definitely feel a difference.

When I did the plenum it felt slightly torqueier, when I put the cats on it was night and day. Others have done cats, reported slight gains, then plenum with huge gains. You gotta do both sides of the engine, air in air out and I think you'll notice quite a bit of difference. Cats are a huge restriction.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 07-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

iLLG35:

Wow, sorry to hear about your AT "bogging" on you like that. Is that a common problem with the AT?

I've only got 6700 miles on my Sedan, but I've been 135 MPH several times (I've taken a couple of 600-700 mile Interstate runs) - the 6MT seems to pull effortlessly, even with a full load of people and gear, and is very stable at those speeds as well (aero package probably helps a little). Pulls to 135 MPH from 70-80 MPH from 5th or 6th very quickly and smoothly, and, if you go down to 4th and rev it, it REALLY runs hard.

And I've been cautious, never pulling full redline yet (although I know it's safe to do, and even a little beyond with the reflash). I don't doubt this car could do 150-155 MPH with all the electronic "leashes" removed.

You've got a nice car, and you deserve the full measure of performance it can give. Seems there should be an electronic "cure" for your ills.

My $0.02

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 07-10-2004, 12:39 PM

I'm hardly the all knowing Oz about these cars, but is it possible that one of the following 2 conditions could be true?

1) This car is something of a factory anomaly, and doesn't take well to the mods thus far, or was already running pretty hot and had little to improve, or

2) The reflash was incorrect and/or incomplete. These are performed (ultimately) by humans, and some other people make mistakes... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2004, 02:58 PM

on the G definitely takes well to some mods. ive dynod at 300 hp so they're definitely working.
as for pulling... heck yea this car pulls. with a full car i can still pull on the freeway in 6th gear. going from 80 to 100 is cake.
in a real race, dropping to 4th and taking off till 145 is not even close to a problem. well, one time i raced a STI and got mad smoked though. i had 3 in the car if that makes a difference. by 120 he was 2 car lengths ahead. =(

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-10-2004, 04:43 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

God damm, im really missing out on this car's true performance and pull without a 6spd. My sedan is def quick, no doubt about it and I beat most coupes or fater cars from a stop!! But on the highway the auto SUCKS, you guys are talking about 4th, 5th, and six gear pulls hahah, im lucky to get upto 125 now from 4th in like 30 seconds or a lil more, 4th gear is suppose to be a gas saving gear though on the auto's rite? Whatever it is, this car is not putting out what it use to, acceleration from a stop feels real good now and much improved over stock with my intake but top end I never even realized has been bad!! Could be that its an auto (thats an obvious) I see coupes pull hard on the highway from 4th or 5th gear when at meets and its hard stay rite behind them with them hitting throttle first. Could there be something wrong with my intake? Ive had it for almost a year, never changed the filter could that be why? Damm this is dissapointing. I feel I can get up to 120-130 quick from a stop and maxing out all gears and thats when 4th pulls, but when just sitting ont he highway and I drop it into 3rd at high rpm's then send it into 4th its like uhhh GO LOL!!! I guess the momentum from a stop gets it going but manumatic on the highway SUCKS!! Man I want a stick, I have everything I could possibly get in this car, aero kit, sports package and wheres my 6spd to go along with it. Im pissed at myself for not waiting for it, came out a month after I got it last august!! Hopefully these mods will get my hopes up. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-10-2004, 04:44 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

dbarnes thanks man, im just so dissapointed rite now!! What could be wrong ecu or electronically wise? Anybody have any ideas? Or is that just plain ol auto for ya?

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: TechnoSquare Comments