G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

TechnoSquare Comments

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TechnoSquare Comments

1. I have driven 109 miles since I got my ECU back today...there is ZERO EFFING difference in anything and everything besides the rev limiter being over 7000 which is only a care if I am manually shifting at the track...I assume I could go 160 mph down the highway too, but I have yet to test that one out...but there is no quicker spool up b/t 1500 and 2750 rpms which is this car's only true problem and there is no kick in the pants after 3000 rpms....$520 for what????

Does the ECU take a certain period of time to learn this thing and then all of a sudden impress me...

That's two mods in a row b/t the Crawford Plenum and this TS ECU Reflash that have done nada...

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
K&N CAI w/Injen Heat Shield
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
02 Maxima SE 4AT 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 07-08-2004, 10:29 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TechnoSquare Comments

Wow surprising. Ive seen quite a few people with your mods and less and say they've gotten great gains and the TS ecu pulled it all together to make a more deadly combo!! Hmm dunno, i'll prob having everything you have except ecu and ill have the test pipe's this week. I heard the UR pulley adds good boost down low where we need it, no? Monday im putting in so much lol, i'll see what I notice. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-09-2004, 12:32 AM

that IS very surprising. You DO need to put a few miles on it, some say drive it for about 10-14 days to really let the ECU 'learn'

I bet however, that there is still a gain there, albeit not a huge one. One (if not the only) way that you can verify if everything is 'OK', is to take it to a dyno and get a RELIABLE (read: PRE-CAT) a/f reading. look to see where your a/f is. It should be like the one posted on the forums a couple of days ago (of a 6MT sedan). It should start at around 13.6-14 (on the low end) and decline SMOOTHLY to about 12.9-13.2 at redline.

If you are running too rich, which one would suspect if you in fact did not gain any power, TS will correct it and lean it up for you. Every car is different, and there are many variables at work here. This is why it may take more than once to get it to be near-perfect.

Gurgen

Old 07-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Well the 10-14 days thing makes me feel a lot better...it's so ironic how it's the opposite now with an ECU reset too whearas is used to be a good thing...now it's bad apparently...at least for the first "X" amount of miles b/f the car relearns all of its parameters.

I will wait and do a dyno towards the end of the month then. Thanks guys.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 07-09-2004, 09:08 AM

I'm gonna get beat up here--I just know it--but in my opinion a 10 HP gain isn't something most people can actually perceive with any degree of reliability. A louder engine sure is noticeable, though, and that's why most of these performance mods are popular: they make the car louder so it seems faster.

The TS ECU doesn't make the car louder, BTW

--Steve

Old 07-09-2004, 09:33 AM

I don't know why anyone would beat you up for saying that. Because it's a fairly accurate statement IMHO. Unless you professionally time your car, most people would not be able to tell the difference in with a 10HP gain. Just because a car is louder, does not make it faster.

03.5 G35S 5AT - Desert Platinum/Graphite/350Z Tube/Clear corners/HG kit/20% Tint

Old 07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

0.1 second 1% decrease in quarter mile time is 14 feet, a car length roughly. That is pretty significant in a race.
Takes another ~~ 100 HP to change things by a second.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:10 AM

I've put about 200 miles on my G since installing the TS ECU last week. I noticed a very positive difference immediately, particularly in highway passing situations.The low end could still use some help but until Infiniti/Nissan offers numerically higher ring and pinion sets for this vehicle, that will remain the issue. When you look at the 2 second 60 foot times that many on this forum have reported it's obvious that this is where the greatest improvement can be made because 1/4 mile times are very good for this class of car. I changed the gearset in my '99 Ford Mustang Cobra from the stock 3.27:1 to 4.10:1 and took almost 3 tenths off my 1/4 mile times. That car has a reworked computer rev-limited to 7,200 rpm. If you are comfortable with giving up a little top end (which you may never see on public roads anyway) I think you will have a quicker and more pleasing to drive car for everyday situations. I think the main inhibitor that we are confronted with is the tall-ish 3.36:1 final drive gearing that we have to live with (at least those of us with AT).

'03.5 G35 Sedan Premium, Aero & Sport Packages w/Auto
Desert Platinum w/wood dash & cabin trim
Injen CAI, Borla catback exhaust, Tein H-tech lowering springs, UR crank pulley, Technosquare ECU

Old 07-09-2004, 10:52 AM

I hear every one of you loud and clear and no one has said anything to get beat up about...this is not that kind of forum anyway so don't worry about that.

I've put on roughly 150 more miles and I'm just not feeling it...the 10 hp thing is tough...but Q has a point...it is one car length in the 1/4 mi and that should be able to be felt over a 0-100 blast and I am just not feeling it...I have always said that since the Crawford Plenum my car was a little throatier...in a good way, but not quicker...if anything is felt...it's that the car pulls really strong from 80 to 100+, but I never thought it didn't pull there...so it's tough to tell, but ddmander is right on there...he's also on about the gearing...but I was reading about how the newest Cadilac STS has it all down now via GM doing a nice job with the TCS/VDC...the new STS is RWD and if the TCS is disengaged upon launch you can lay twin strips of rubber down for 10'...that's all I am asking for...is for Nissan to let this car launch right off the bat...not at 2800 rpms...and that is all I asked TS to do when they reflashed my ECU and I was ensured via the Throttle Body plate opening 100% at WOT that this would be taken care of.

Maybe I am being too hard on the mods...as far as the butt dyno...but I don't think so...I have an 87 Mustang GT that is naturally aspirated and putting 300 RWHP down adn 350 RWTQ down...and I know every little thing that helps and hurts...and DDmander really hit it on the head when he mentioned the 2.XX 60 ft times our cars lay down...that is the one reason a Z tubed, K&N'd 5AT cannot run a 13.9 at 98-99 MPH like an 87-88 Mustang 5.0 LX could do with a 1.9 60 ft time...

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bosssho on 07/09/04 07:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Zimbo that was so true LOL.. About the loud sound and thinking your car's faster because of it lol. Also wat dd said was interesting and boss, if you think about it these car's really dont see any big performance gains or numbers without going FI or maybe stroking the engine whihc nobody has done yet. It sucks, but when you drop a well built turbo kit in expect 400 to the wheels which ive seen on a stock engine!! To me thats sick, then with all of the mod's you guys have (exhaust,pulley,cats, and a few other things) it like multiplies the gains of these bolt ons. Such a weird set up in this car, prob cause it wasn't built with FI from the factory!! Like the supra, or the old audi s4 or a4. A simple chip in the audi's and vw's get you 40-50 hp and over 70 lb ft of torque and witht he supra all of the bpu mods putting down 500 hp with ease kinda pisses me off!! I wish this car had better tuning capability with simple bolt ons rather than going FI which I wanna go anyway but have a leased car. Ahh sorry for this long post, just needed to let some stuff out lol. Boss good luck with it, Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-09-2004, 11:49 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Also, I thought it was one second is a CL, wow now I think about it and it makes no sense LOL!!! Dam 10th of a second and a CL seems so short to be a cl! Also if 100 hp takes roughly a sec off your car, that means for some 400 +hp g's and z's they should be low 4's or high 3's? Thats way over a 100 for them and also the e46 supercharged M3 got 97 more HP from it, that should be like 3.8-9 with your info q45 rite?

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 PM

I agree 100%...it's just nuts that the Coupe or 350Z are at 280 and 287...we should be there and then some...but until I dyno the car, who knows.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 07-09-2004, 12:29 PM

I'm not saying it's not actually faster over the course of a 1/4 mile. I'm opining that the average human all alone on a flat road (w/o a stop watch and w/o any car to race against) cannot feel a one-car-length difference over the course of 1320 feet. That's my opinion.

Maybe after years of practice and a daily regimen of Kegel exercises some of you have honed your butt dynos well enough to feel a 5-10HP increase. I have personally have not.

--Steve

Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

FWIW: I installed the TS upgrade last week and noticed a big difference right away. My perception is that it works as advertised. I'm scheduled to dyno next TH, and will update my "ride" with the numbers so we can really see if the ECU upgrade really works.

2004 Sedan 5AT STS
Huper Optik Ceramic 50/Underbody Diffusers/Clear Corners/Brake Cover
GroundingGear 7 Wire/Z-Tube/Stillen High Flow Airbox/HKS Sport Exhaust/Technosquare F-Spec ECU

Old 07-09-2004, 01:04 PM

lol What you are forgetting, is that I am not talking about 10 hp either...I am saying that with the Grounding Kit, Crawford Plenum, K&N Typhoon and the TS ECU Reflash I should have a legit 20 RWHP...and that's not ricer math...I would think I could feel that...of course there are these factors:

The CAI and Grounding kit were done when the car was green.

The Plenum and TS ECU Reflash were done since the car has been fully broken in...so maybe I have the extra ponies, but b/c they all weren't done at once I can't feel them...and the ever knowing Dyno will sort it all out when I get over there.

John
03.5 G35 5AT 14.2 @ 96
7 Wire Grounding Kit
UR UD Crank Pulley
NISMO Mid Pipe
Crawford V 5.0
TS
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: TechnoSquare Comments