G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Looking at 05 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Yup, thank you for the answer

That's a pictuer of the car, So it is an G35X, the X is not there on the back so I was wondering.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Rear should look like this. Not sure why it would be missing the x unless someone took it off/it fell off.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Rear should look like this. Not sure why it would be missing the x unless someone took it off/it fell off.

Yup, the sales man told me "the 05's never came with the X" and I smelled bull. So I was just wondering the front confirms its AWD. So it cool just kinda annoyed that the X was not there lol

Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Your salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. Every AWD from 04-06 has an 'x' after the G35. And they don't just "fall off". Another way to check is to turn the key on. You'll briefly see "AWD" appear on the instrument pod. I'd be very suspicious of this car if it's been wrecked. There are lots of used G's out there for less money with fewer miles that haven't been wrecked.

Are you getting this from an Infiniti dealer? I ask because you mentioned a bumper to bumper warranty. If it is Infiniti, then verify they CAN make it a Certified Pre-Owned before you give them any money. Not every Infiniti qualifies, and if this has been in a wreck, the chances drop. If it isn't an Infiniti dealer, then don't buy the extended warranty from them. Do some research on your own and buy it separately. Non-manufacturer extended warranties are notorious for having major loopholes.

Either way, $21K for an 05 AWD with 54K on it is pretty steep. I paid less than that 6 months ago for my Cetified Pre-owned 05 AWD with 40K miles.

And I'd suggest taking it easy on the people replying to you. You got a little snappy with Swivelhips saying he didn't answer your question. But if you'd actually read his reply, HE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION! You're lucky you've gotten so many replies considering you're a total G noob who's done minimal research about the car you want to purchase.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Your salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. Every AWD from 04-06 has an 'x' after the G35. And they don't just "fall off". Another way to check is to turn the key on. You'll briefly see "AWD" appear on the instrument pod. I'd be very suspicious of this car if it's been wrecked. There are lots of used G's out there for less money with fewer miles that haven't been wrecked.

Are you getting this from an Infiniti dealer? I ask because you mentioned a bumper to bumper warranty. If it is Infiniti, then verify they CAN make it a Certified Pre-Owned before you give them any money. Not every Infiniti qualifies, and if this has been in a wreck, the chances drop. If it isn't an Infiniti dealer, then don't buy the extended warranty from them. Do some research on your own and buy it separately. Non-manufacturer extended warranties are notorious for having major loopholes.

Either way, $21K for an 05 AWD with 54K on it is pretty steep. I paid less than that 6 months ago for my Cetified Pre-owned 05 AWD with 40K miles.

And I'd suggest taking it easy on the people replying to you. You got a little snappy with Swivelhips saying he didn't answer your question. But if you'd actually read his reply, HE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION! You're lucky you've gotten so many replies considering you're a total G noob who's done minimal research about the car you want to purchase.

It is from an infinity dealer we will verify about the certification before. And it was in an accident which says on the carfax report. That might explain the missing x. Since it was in an accident I can get it for a lot less it drives fine but if I do get it ill go to get it checked for structural dmg

Typed from my blackberry

Last edited by thescreensavers; 05-04-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
It is from an infinity dealer we will verify about the certification before. And it was in an accident which says on the carfax report. That might explain the missing x. Scince it was in an accident I can get it for a lot less it drives fine but if I do get it ill go to get it checked for structural dmg
I thought about the missing x happening either during the accident (unlikely) or not replaced after the back end was put back together. The body shop may not have known it needed one.

But, the dealer's price is VERY high, especially if it's been in an accident and has that many miles. That tag will always be there and you'll get less for your car down the road if and when you want to sell it. A quick search on Autotrader shows quite a few 05 and 06 Certified AWD for less money, and many have less than 40K miles.

2006, Lakeshore Slate, 28K miles, $19.5, http://tinyurl.com/da8zeo
2005, Ivory Pearl, 15K miles, $20.9, http://tinyurl.com/dghwub
2006, Liquid Platinum, 13K miles, $21.9, http://tinyurl.com/cgzx27

These are just the asking prices. All of them could be negotiated down. I would wait on getting that one from your dealer. It's just not that great a deal. I'd offer $17K for it.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with above. Move on to another G. Take your time looking at ALL the Gs (RWD or AWD). Hard test drive them, and look at the price. I say look at a couple of them, get a price from all and then make your decision. I wouldn't even buy it. Accident? Forget it. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM

That's a pictuer of the car, So it is an G35X, the X is not there on the back so I was wondering.
Thanks
Why do you want an AWD? I see palm trees in the picture, which tells me you don't get a whole lot of snow. I love my AWD, but we get 120+ inches of snow, so I need it. It drives great winter and summer, but there are some fairly major drawbacks to the AWD, primarily when it comes to upgrades. There are currently no coilovers available and your tire selection is limited because the front and back need to be the same diameter. If you like the Sedan, get a RWD instead.

It may explain the high cost from the dealership, i.e. it's a rare commodity in a warmer climate.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks

OR, the car isn't an X and the accident it was in totaled the front end and all they had was an X bumper to replace it with.

I say dodge this car, keep looking. It's over priced to begin with. Buy RWD.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Maybe, but I find it hard to believe an Infiniti dealer would advertise it as a Certified Pre-Owned AWD if it was a RWD. The salesman may be stupid, but I doubt the dealership is.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The scoop and the "x" are good indicators...but if you really want to prove to the dealer that it isn't an X, just find some water, turn traction ctrl off, and try to do a burnout.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 AM
A much easier way would be to look underneath for the existence of a transfer case. Or open the hood and look for the thick cables that go into the battery compartment. RWD has one cable, AWD has two.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
A much easier way would be to look underneath for the existence of a transfer case. Or open the hood and look for the thick cables that go into the battery compartment. RWD has one cable, AWD has two.
Well I am looking at other the other Gs but the thing is, My dad is the one paying for it and he wants it to be certified this and another one are the only 2 good ones in my area. there alot of used ones for less. But at an infinity dealer nope .

Theirs another g35 fully loaded premium package... for 18.6k which I am looking at but my dad knows the sales manager for 20 years at the dealer with the AWD car so if that's cheaper we might opt for that but depends how much. I personally like the fully loaded one Ill find out soon

I just want to say thanks for answering my questions, I know I am a g35 newb just try to bare with me

Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Get the fully loaded premium car. You'll love all the goodies. What color is it?

P.S. Sorry for bashing you earlier, still love your question about the X though!!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BuckeyeinMI is basically right on the money when it comes to this car.

I have a 2005 G35x, and it has the "X" on it. However, I did not know about the front scoop look, so I learned something here too.

In any event, I would avoid this car for the same reasons these guys mentioned above:
1.) accident
2.) inconsistent body makeup (scoop front with no "X" in rear)
3.) salesman claiming warranty when infiniti will not warranty any car that has been in an accident
4.) accident
5.) salesman is not very knowledgable
6.) accident
7.) price too high for accident

did I mention that you should avoid this car due to the accident?

however, if you really want to give this car a try, low-ball the guy with an offer like $14k

Additionally, I also agree that you will not need AWD if you live in area that gets no snow whatsoever...ever. The price difference between AWD and non-AWD is about $1-$2k, so you'll have to decide if this feature is worth it to you. Keep in mind that when the AWD only kicks in when a slip is indicated or at below 11MPH, otherwise, the car is RWD.

If you really want this car, continue your research on cars.com or carmax over the next few weeks. Also check out infiniti's website, they detail their warranty there plus other incentives. I researched my car for about 7 months before buying it.

Finally, don't feel obligated to use a dealership just b/c your pop "knows" the sales guy. The sales guy doesn't care, and will still look to make as much money as possible (especially in this economy).

P.S. don't worry about these guys ripping into you, they get these kinds of questions a lot, and are more frustrated with the situation rather than at you. don't let them scare you away, they are very knowledgable and are usually always willing to help you out whenever you have a question. I, for one, am thankful that they participate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at 05 G35