G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Gotta replace my windshield cracked = $$$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta replace my windshield cracked = $$$$

I didn't even notice how or when the pebble hit. I just saw that the crack had travelled halfway up the windshield right in the center -- i had no chance at all for any type of repair. I need a new one now... 842 bucks the dealership said. Luckily i have a 100 buck deductible. I just hope that the autoglass folks' work is as clean as possible.

Diamond Graphite / Willow / X

Old 07-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Gotta replace my windshield cracked = $$$$

It would surprise me if the insurance sent you to the dealer, that's ridiculously priced! "Dealer" glass is way overpriced IMO!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 07-16-2004, 06:17 PM

A rock just hit my windshield this morning going to work. It sucks. But gotta replace it. Luckily I have full glass coverage.

Old 07-16-2004, 06:55 PM

For those that might be wondering what kind of glass coverage they have ...

Full glass coverage (or glass replacement without a deductible) is a waiver that's purchased from your insurance company. It is not free and not available everywhere. Its cost should be weighed against your deductible and the likelihood of your needing glass replacement. If you pay $10/month for a glass damage waiver but never need to replace the windshield during a 5-year period of ownership, your cost for that coverage will be $600. If your deductible is $250 and you replace the windshield once in 5 years, that coverage will cost you $350. It is only when glass expenses cost more than $600 that you will see the benefit during five year's of ownership.

Like most things in life, you make a guess at what your glass coverage needs will be and pay (or save) the difference.

04 G35X

Old 07-16-2004, 08:35 PM

Argh! Im sorry to hear ABQ....

Yeah i insisted on a factory windshield...i don't want an aftermarket one esp. since the insurance is covering it. i called the dealer just to find out how much everything costs...the dealer won't do anytype of windshield repair, they just refer that type of work to autoglass people (in my area at least) . I think that the dealer's service dept. is mostly full of techs and mechanics.... they jsut do simple installs as far as i know. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:56 PM

When I inquired about getting mine replaced at the dealer, they informed me they "contracted" that out to a local auto glass place, my dealer is pretty small though, so who knows!

Old 07-18-2004, 07:28 PM
GSQUAD

I need to get mine replaced and some people said to get the PPG.. Is this ok?

2003.5 iv0ry pearl sedan | winter package | 20% tints | 2 10's JL | clear c0rners | cust0m billet grille | p0pcharger | z tube | street gl0w | k & n |

Old 07-18-2004, 09:49 PM

I had mine replaced with a PPG, and it's a good quality windshield! Actually, one thing I have noticed is, it doesn't seem to be pitting as quickly as the OEM did, I had my car 3 months when mine cracked, and it had pitting already, this one is now almost 7 months old, and no where near as bad!

Old 07-18-2004, 10:54 PM

I have had my windshield replaced twice over the last 18 months due to rocks from SUV's, Ford F250 etc. I get the hell away from anything with large grooved tires now. Luckily I have no-deductible glass coverage. Both times the local glass shop had to order it from the dealer as a factory replacement since aftermarket was not out yet. Not so sure what would happen now, dont want to find out either. Twice is enough. Also, my sunroof shattered for no reason while going about 60 MPH about 6 months ago. I had to fork over $500 for the deductible on that since the glass damaged the paint on the roof and the trunk lid. Not to mention all the glass shards in the interior roof liner. Had to be completely removed and vacuumed out. Consider yourself lucky if all you have is a cracked windshield, it could be worse.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 PM

Yikes! Sunroof glass is super strong, usually. I remember many years ago dropping a removable glass sunroof on the pavement and it didn't break. Wonder what caused the breakage??

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:04 AM

I'm trying to remember when the pebble might have hit me and for the life of me I can't be sure. My friend told me that its quite possible that a rock had cracked the windshield minutely some time ago and that factors such as cranking on the A/C in full on heat or maybe just wind pressure might have done it in. I live in Stockton, CA...not the hottest place in Cali by any stretch but we get about two weeks worth of 100 degree days per summer.

All in all, I'm over it. I figure some things are just out of our control!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 AM

Well, when mine cracked, I heard the stone hit, but when I stopped and looked at the glass, I didn't see anything, after coming out of the restaurant I went to, I saw about a 10" crack, I still didn't see any impact point, when the crack grew larger, I rechecked it, the stone had hit at the very bottom of the windshield, right where the seal is, under the wiper, then I could see a smal impact point, how the hell it got down there who knows!

Old 07-31-2004, 12:06 AM

Same here. There was a rock that hit just below the windshield wiper, and I did not notice the crack until the next morning. The mobile repair guy said that the lower part of the windshield can be under more stress, and it may not take much force to cause a crack.

313646-Crack.jpg

Old 07-31-2004, 12:37 PM

Damn, that is very close to where mine was, I heard a loud crack when it hit, but couldn't find an impact mark, I had no idea a stone could get down there, but later I did see the impact, right on the edge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gotta replace my windshield cracked = $$$$