G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

VIDEO - Drag Racing from LACR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:25 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: VIDEO - Drag Racing from LACR

Ahh thanks for clearing everything up, I was really wondering about that!! On your tires I can agree you can't get traction lol, when mine started wearing out same tires as you, I couldnt get traction when i was stock power breaking lol, they were really bald though! Anyway yea i just didn't know if a turbo'd car could be an everyday driver with the possibilities of turbo and engine overheating, and you mentioned that it almost the same temp. as having a pop charger? Wow, that's something new I learned lol, and my Injen gets REAL hot after a few high speed runs, I picked my hood up and it was blazing hot heat coming from the engine, and then I got in my car and the temp guage said 108 deg. lol. Anyway nice runs man, i cant wait to go to the track and prob get that turbo kit, it looks amazing!! What do you think, best kit to come out? I havent heard anything but good things, running high 300's low 400's on 4.3? and under 5 sec's and high 12's wow, and its on an auto.. I wish I could see your car in person or go to the track with you guys, these NY guys never want too lol. Anyway, have fun. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-19-2004, 05:52 PM

What kind of race tires are you guys considering?

2003 G35 Sedan 6MT
14.13 @ 99.55 (stock)

Old 07-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1/4 mile times stock at LACR were 15.1@93mph.
i was power braking and not power braking but my slowest time was 15.2.

04 G35 Sedan Blk/Blk
Nissan Badges
Tein S Tech
Injen CAI

Old 07-19-2004, 07:44 PM

after watching the vid , those times seemed extremly slow? the heat had a big factor on those times, Its what like 6:00pm still 80degrees wait till late fall and early winter to go there.

04 G35 Sedan Blk/Blk
Nissan Badges
Tein S Tech
Injen CAI

Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 PM

court... others...

It is a fact deduced from empirical evidence - 0.8-1.00 second adjustment for sea level. We have done several tests with the g-tech... and after establishing Gtech's validity, it is a certainty that the times worsen by about that much as stated.

The track very mysterious .... very poor conditions, wind, and who knows, maybe there is some sloping as well that hurts times, of course in addition to elevation and generally hihger temps (it's in the desert). All I know, is that the car simply DIES when we get up there. Another hypothesis, is that our ECU take a while to efficiently adapt to the elevation change...

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 07/19/04 05:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-19-2004, 08:41 PM

Thanks Martin

You better look up some JetBlue bargain fares and come out here some time ....

I absolutely love the kit. Low PSI, overly safe timing, overly rich fue - and I still run good times. Let me tell you, the PE 9psi setup on a Z ran 13.66 at this track!!!! And that car dynoed at around/just over 400 wheel HP!

So, needless to say, I am VERY happy with my times, considering the weight disadvanatge (my own 265 lb weight, plus a FULL tank of gas and a spare), the overly retarded timing (16 deg total advance = stock is 25 at redline) and overly rich mixture (10.8-11.2: where ideal is 11.5-11.8 for FI) at only 4.3 psi.

The good news: my boost controller is getting installed in the next 2 days... maybe just in time for hte Friday track day!

Gurgen

Old 07-19-2004, 09:38 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Man im jealous!!!! My god, coming out there might not be a bad idea, my sister who lives in Bay Area, Cali. told me to come visit her in august, problem is I wanna get some track time with you guys!! Im def. not gonna be able to drive all the way out there lol.. We'll see, maybe i'll just meet up with you guys, and go with you to the track to experience the TT G ahhhhh =))))) martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-20-2004, 03:20 AM

If you come out all this way to hang with us, i'd be glad to offer you drive my car down the 1/4 mile track.... it'd be my pleasure....

Old 07-20-2004, 03:48 AM

Hey Gurgen,

Can I borrow your car to go get us all some bobas?

[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 07-20-2004, 03:58 AM

Haha....No boba jokes please.... But you are sure welcome to take it down the strip if you want...

Old 07-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Keep in mind that turbo/SC cars don't suffer nearly as bad at altitude as a naturally aspirated car. The air is less dense, but a turbo/SC will be able to crame more of the less dense air in because the motor will see slightly higher boosting at higher altitudes. Many Eurpoean car makers incorporate turbos in their cars because a lot of Europe is at higher elevation and utilizing forced induction dramatically improves driving at all elevations.

3000' is good for about .6-.7 and 4mph or so in a naturally aspirated car. In a forced induced car, you're probably looking at around .3-.4 and 2mph. I don't live in CA, but I have read LACR is probably the worst track to run at due to temp and elevation.

96 Maxima SE
14.40@97mph, 2.20 60 foot. Best mph 99mph.

JDM intake manifold, JWT ECU, Y-pipe, CAI, 2K Maxima muffler

Old 07-21-2004, 03:06 AM

DaveB

Where do you get your info about the time correction? In practice, LACR is VERY VERY different from other tracks. 1-0.8 sec correction is what we have calculated ... and pretty reliably. Please check out the excellent explanation by THX723 (clint) above. THere are many many variables at work here (not only thinner air - which does not do as effective of cooling on top of not containing as much mass, incl. oxygen - but way higher than expected temps - in the desert, etc. etc.).

You are right on the general idea about the effect of elevation on FI cars, but things are FAR more complicated than this.

First of all, there is a big difference b/w turbos and SCs with respect to elevation. Turbos develop the same psi at elevation (reasonable elevation) while SC do NOT! SCs are compressors, as are turbos, but they are fixed by the pulley size as to by how much, to put it crudely, they can compress the air; meanwhile, turbos are automatically controlled (by inherent wastegate/actuator spring or a boost controller) to keep the wastegate/actuator closed until the target PSI at the manifold is reached, then wastegate/actuator opens slowely (as the energy provided by the exhaust gases rises exponentially with rpm) to maintain the target psi. So, at elevation, SC will NOT develop the target psi, while TT WILL, albeit a little later in the power band; of course, if the sea level boost setting was very close or at the critical point for those particular turbos, and you go up to a higher elevation, than the target psi might NOT be reached reached. That is not an issue for our setups, as these turbos can go much higher than our current settings of 4-9psi (PE to ~18, and Greddys to ~22; although they both lose their efficiency at this point). Now, tha being said, the flow rate on both systems IS affected, as you have less air to move in the first place. SO, N/A cars are vastly affected, followed by SCs (which are also highly affected - probably as much as N/A cars perecntage-wise), followed by turbos.

Hope that helps.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 07/21/04 12:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Gurgen i'll keep you posted on what's happening with my trip. Where exactly are you in Cali? And how far from Bay Area? Thanks for the offer, but I would feel very akward, maybe just a ride to the track would be cool =) Or maybe my adrenaline would be so pumped that i would take you up on the offer. Thx. Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..