G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

any1 paint their lower sills themselves?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah daveb is right with the paint difference of can to automotive paint but wow 1000 dollar for a pro job to a 50 job w/ a day of labor at home, i would choose the latter and save the money for something big!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GSedan03
yeah daveb is right with the paint difference of can to automotive paint but wow 1000 dollar for a pro job to a 50 job w/ a day of labor at home, i would choose the latter and save the money for something big!
I wasn't really surprised by the quotes I got. It's custom work and the shops will stick it to you a bit since it's a fairly small job and it's not covered by insurance. The true custom paint shops were the most expensive, but you'd know they'd prep correctly and get the paint to stick.

I knew I wanted painted sills and I knew I wanted air tools, so I went and bought a compressor, air tools, and a spray gun for around $400. I use the air tools all the time and most of the time it's not even auto-related work. I've used my multi-purpose spray gun to paint my basement ceiling and lots of furniture.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I knew I wanted painted sills and I knew I wanted air tools, so I went and bought a compressor, air tools, and a spray gun for around $400. I use the air tools all the time and most of the time it's not even auto-related work. I've used my multi-purpose spray gun to paint my basement ceiling and lots of furniture.
yea, my friend already has all of that stuff, that is why i wanted to find out if it was possible to get desert platinum paint from somewhere because it would be much cheaper to do it myself

Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by infiniti g
yea, my friend already has all of that stuff, that is why i wanted to find out if it was possible to get desert platinum paint from somewhere because it would be much cheaper to do it myself
PaintScratch

I've bought DP paint from that site and it matched very well. I was just doing some touch up work though - not a big piece or panel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little off once you finish. DP is a tough color to match. My factory Aero kit doesn't even really match to the rest of the car.

That said, I think the DIY is a way better option. If you don't like the way it looks, you're not out much money and you worked on your car for a day. The real return is in your prep work, so pay attention to that - there are some pretty decent instructions on the paint scratch site.

I've painted bottom sills and a urethane lip on other cars w/ the spray can option from the site and they turned out really well. I live in GA, so I really had to watch the humidity - if it's too high, your paint and clear will look like someone mixed milk in it.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
if you get it done professional it should be 100 for each panel at the most, so 100 for each skirt and 100 for each front and back, 400 total
Where you getting this from? Maaco?

Bodyshops don't go by panels....they go by the amount of materials...time needed to prep, spray, and finish. A bumper would cost more to paint that a fender.......that's just nature of the business. With your logic, I should have my entire car resprayed for $1000, that would be an awesome deal wouldn't it?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im in georgia too so thanks for the advice, im still debating on what to do, if i can get a hold of that paint for a god price i want to do it myself, but i dont have the money to pay someone else to get this done because i just bought the car from my parents and i hate the cheap plastic look on the bottom, i think once i get the money i will get the info of the guy that did abailey269 sills. Its a pretty good price and it looks really good

heres the linke to the thread https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...acer-pics.html

Old 06-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Keep in mind, that's a good ol' boy price from a guy painting cars in his garage in 2007. I'd be surprised if you could still get in touch w/ him. It's worth a shot though.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
I went to a couple body shops and no they weren't maaco and the estimates were around the same, 400 and 400 plus for everything, when u buy a body kit do you really pay 1000 to get it painted?? No! It comes out to around 400-600 any more then that and ur gettin ripped off, body shops usualy charge by the time they spend on labor, is not like they have to modify the shape of it, it doesn't take but 1 or 2 days tops

Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
I went to a couple body shops and no they weren't maaco and the estimates were around the same, 400 and 400 plus for everything, when u buy a body kit do you really pay 1000 to get it painted?? No! It comes out to around 400-600 any more then that and ur gettin ripped off, body shops usualy charge by the time they spend on labor, is not like they have to modify the shape of it, it doesn't take but 1 or 2 days tops
Most body shops were quoting me about 10 hours of prep time at $55/hr, $200 in materials, 1.5 hours to paint, and 1 hour to finish. And that's with me bringing in the parts. If you leave them on the car, you're looking at another 3 to 4 hours. Honestly, the hours were pretty much spot on. It took me a solid 16 hours to remove, prep, paint, and reinstall. The factory paint and materials came in around $150, I believe. Of course, I have enough material remaining to paint another 20 sills at least $800-1000 is a pretty legit price from a quality shop. Now if you know "a guy", then more power to you. I saw it as a chance to get new tools and some painting experience. This fall I'm going to paint a bunch of parts for my buddy's motorcycle. Painting and prep is really quite simple. Just time consuming.

Anyways, why are we arguing about this? Your question was has anyone painted their sills? Well, I did and I did it the right way with stellar results, and wrote a DIY. So there ya go.