G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Owner Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by oo G35x oo
I bought my infiniti from a nissan dealer. They told me I have until the end of the year left on my original infiniti drive train warranty. I also got a 4y/48k bumper-bumper from them. I don't have a "knocking" in the front-end over driveways and bumps but i do have a "creaking" noise. I took it to my dealer to get my "free" oil change and told them about the noise and they said they noticed nothing and everything looks good.

Could my noise be the compression rods and are those covered with the original Infiniti drivetrain warranty? I'd rather take it to Tim Dahle Infiniti, about 2hours away then take it back to my dealer.(My free oil change cost me $60 when i asked for synthetic oil and when they washed my car they scratched the crap out of it. I took it back and they buffed them out really well and the car looks better then when i got it) I woud just rather avoid my dealer if i can take an issue straight to infiniti. Thanks in advance!
Compression rods are suspension related and covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, not powertrain.

Infiniti dealers would prob be more familair with it. I honestly think that every G still on it's original compression rods will have to deal with this prob eventually. The rods are something like $250 each for each side. They do sell the bushings separate now but i don't have a P/N or cost.

Foriegn cars are known for reliability, but that doesn't mean they don't have problems too. The cost of repair is usually higher as well. I think i read someone paying near $1000 for wheel bearings parts and labor. Look at the list i posted of "common" G35 problems and look up their cost of repair if it goes on you and decide if you want to gamble on it. Compression rods alone are $500 in parts if you change the entire rod, the leaking VC's will require new valve covers at ~$200 each plus labor. And if your 6-spd has OC issues....you need a new engine.

If you are planning on owning your car for a while, an extended warranty is a very good idea as the odds of a failure increase with age and mileage obviously.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
And even if you don't recover the cost in actual warranty repairs, how much is peace of mind worth? I've got about 39 months and 52K miles left on my warranty so I'm not worried about anything other than wear items and the price of go juice. If I don't have a single warranty repair, it's still worth it to me.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I certainly concur with paying a premium for a "piece of mind", but I was throwing out an alternative solution. it's good to have choices (e.g. blondes or burnettes)

Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parnelli
Get a hold of Courtney Mutema at Infiniti of Scottsdale, her prices seem to be the lowest.
You can purchase the Extended Warranty before your factory bumper to bumper runs out and do not have to have an inspection. I purchased from her and handled everything via email. I have an 05 that was going to go out of warranty at end of April for both time and mileage and my extended cost me $1300.
How many miles ware on your car when you purchased the Extended Warranty and on what terms "0 deductible, 3 years/36,000 additional mile"?

Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Check for front end noise to see if you need compression rods. You'll hear a knocking sound when you pull out of driveways or go over speed bumps at an angle.

Check the plugs and look for oil around the base of the plug. That would require new VC's.

Rear end clicking

Rear windows clicking over bumps.

Yellowing of the aluminum center console trim just above the ashtray

All i can think of right now
Is this a known issue covered under warranty? I've noticed my aluminum is yellowing, but didn't know it was common.

I bought my car CPO which included 72 months (fron original in-service date) 100K mile warranty. The CPO also gave me a bumper-to-bumper inspection along with new tires, brakes, removed door dings, etc. I also added on the Elite warranty which gave me an extra 12 months, 0 deductible, expanded component coverage and roadside assistance, and made it transferrable.

My current list of issues to be fixed under warranty includes:

Compression rods squeaking
Rear window creak
Homelink mirror button peeling
Yellowing aluminum trim (assuming this is covered)

I've been meaning to have all of this stuff replaced, but just haven't had time to drop my car off. These items alone probably would have cost me between $500-$1000 in parts and labor. Of course if I didn't have the warranty, I would either do it myself or just ignore it.

Last edited by OKStateG35; 06-19-2009 at 03:20 PM.