G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Owner Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Owner Help

Hi , I just purchased a 2006 G35 Sedan A5, and have 58400+ miles, about 1500 miles left before my warranty expires. I want the dealership to take a look at it, is there anything that I should have them take a close look at?

Should I purchase an extended warranty?

Thanks in Advance ,
Anatoliy

Last edited by anatoliy; 06-16-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Check for front end noise to see if you need compression rods. You'll hear a knocking sound when you pull out of driveways or go over speed bumps at an angle.

Check the plugs and look for oil around the base of the plug. That would require new VC's.

Rear end clicking

Rear windows clicking over bumps.

Yellowing of the aluminum center console trim just above the ashtray

All i can think of right now

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Agreed with him also there is a tsb for the rear doors clicking when there open. If you shake them a bit and here a clicking that is the window reg bolts that are to long and they replace them with shorter ones. Also windy on the highway with the windows rolled up. Might be the window seals for the small corner windows rear doors that don't roll down.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, buy a warranty. You can probably get a 48month/48K Elite Plan that will cover you bumper-to-bumper. Shop around for it too, you don't have to buy it at the same dealer where you got your car. But you do have to buy it from a dealer.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Yes, buy a warranty. You can probably get a 48month/48K Elite Plan that will cover you bumper-to-bumper. Shop around for it too, you don't have to buy it at the same dealer where you got your car. But you do have to buy it from a dealer.
I found it at infinitiwarranty.com for $1,700 is it good price?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anatoliy
I found it at infinitiwarranty.com for $1,700 is it good price?
that sounds about right, I was originally quoted $1,800, but got the dealer to throw it in for free. but make sure that the extended elite warranty also means Certified Pre-Owned.

also, check for belts and other items that are typically performed at the 60k mile service interval. i had to get those replaced, and they were not covered under warranty ($600).

congrats, and enjoy your ride worry-free.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Certified Pre-Owned and an Elite Plan are not the same. A dealer can't just make a car a CPO. It has to pass a fairly strict inspection, and then the dealer has to pay Infiniti a fee which will be passed on to you. That's why CPO cars cost more. For an Elite Plan, the car does have to be inspected, but it isn't as strict, and is actually better than Certified Pre-Owned because you can transfer an Elite Plan to a new owner, unlike CPO status. There are multiple Elite Plans you can get, ranging from 12/12K to 48/48K.

In this particular case, there's no reason to try to make it a CPO. The CPO warranty is "only" good until 100K, but a 48/48K Eltie will push it to almost 107K.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Certified Pre-Owned and an Elite Plan are not the same. A dealer can't just make a car a CPO. It has to pass a fairly strict inspection, and then the dealer has to pay Infiniti a fee which will be passed on to you. That's why CPO cars cost more. For an Elite Plan, the car does have to be inspected, but it isn't as strict, and is actually better than Certified Pre-Owned because you can transfer an Elite Plan to a new owner, unlike CPO status. There are multiple Elite Plans you can get, ranging from 12/12K to 48/48K.

In this particular case, there's no reason to try to make it a CPO. The CPO warranty is "only" good until 100K, but a 48/48K Eltie will push it to almost 107K.
You are right Buckeye, thanks for clarifying.

However, I personally prefer the CPO as it tells me that the car has been checked out "officially" prior to my purchase. I would rather have a CPO car than get a car that is constantly in the shop even though the Elite plan covers it (at least up to the 100k).

Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Check for front end noise to see if you need compression rods. You'll hear a knocking sound when you pull out of driveways or go over speed bumps at an angle.
I bought my infiniti from a nissan dealer. They told me I have until the end of the year left on my original infiniti drive train warranty. I also got a 4y/48k bumper-bumper from them. I don't have a "knocking" in the front-end over driveways and bumps but i do have a "creaking" noise. I took it to my dealer to get my "free" oil change and told them about the noise and they said they noticed nothing and everything looks good.

Could my noise be the compression rods and are those covered with the original Infiniti drivetrain warranty? I'd rather take it to Tim Dahle Infiniti, about 2hours away then take it back to my dealer.(My free oil change cost me $60 when i asked for synthetic oil and when they washed my car they scratched the crap out of it. I took it back and they buffed them out really well and the car looks better then when i got it) I woud just rather avoid my dealer if i can take an issue straight to infiniti. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
I took mine to Tim Dahle just over a week ago and they did the compression rods but you have to be under the factory bumper to bumper warranty for that to be covered. Which is 4 years 60k miles and yeah Wilson Motor is pretty expensive which sucks for us up in Logan. They charged a guy I worked for $80 bucks to basically tell him it might be this and that but we don't know until we really look at it but they wouldn't let him leave till he paid them to do nothing not even give him a full diagnoses. I would steer clear of them for the most part.

Back to the point... Tim Dahle Infiniti got my two front compression rods done and the valve covers in about 5 hours it wasn't too bad the guy I worked with was really good as well. They do charge $110hr to work on your car though now that you are out of warranty that will blow if you go with them to do that.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You do not have to buy it from the dealer! You can get if from your credit union.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tdhps123
I took mine to Tim Dahle just over a week ago and they did the compression rods but you have to be under the factory bumper to bumper warranty for that to be covered. Which is 4 years 60k miles and yeah Wilson Motor is pretty expensive which sucks for us up in Logan. They charged a guy I worked for $80 bucks to basically tell him it might be this and that but we don't know until we really look at it but they wouldn't let him leave till he paid them to do nothing not even give him a full diagnoses. I would steer clear of them for the most part.

Back to the point... Tim Dahle Infiniti got my two front compression rods done and the valve covers in about 5 hours it wasn't too bad the guy I worked with was really good as well. They do charge $110hr to work on your car though now that you are out of warranty that will blow if you go with them to do that.
My car just rolled 50k mi, but it is 5 years old. Bummer, no more Infiniti bumper to bumper. At least i have a while on the powertrain warranty. Yeah, i am not too pleased with Wilson so far. At least they fixed their screw-up, but i hope i am not going to get hosed on any future warranty claims. I've got four more years of dealing with them. Unless i move i guess. Maybe i can sweet talk someone at Tim Dahle into fixing the compression rod issue. THanks for the help tdhps!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Very useful info. Thanks a lot!!! To All for all replies!!!

But, I still don’t know if extended warranty worth to buy for $1,700+ for 3 years 36,000 miles? So my question is how unreliable G35’s what could break in 3 years which going to cost $1,700 to fixed, by the way I still have powertrain warranty for another year or 10,000 miles.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by anatoliy; 06-19-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 AM
basically, you are making a $1,700 bet that something could go wrong (non-wear and tear items) over the next 3-years.

infinitis (and most foreign cars for that matter) have become increasingly reliable over the past 5-6 years.

you have to think, even if there was a problem, it probably won't cost more than $1,700 (given that the powertrain is where the really expensive stuff comes into play).

another option is to invest that $1,700 in a short-term low risk vehicle like a CD (yielding 3%), money-market mutual fund (yielding 3% as well), or tax-free bond fund (returning about 8% currently YTD), and make some extra loot. You can still use that money for repairs (if needed).

Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by anatoliy
Very useful info. Thanks a lot!!! To All for all replies!!!

But, I still don’t know if extended warranty worth to buy for $1,700+ for 3 years 36,000 miles? So my question is how unreliable G35’s what could break in 3 years which going to cost $1,700 to fixed, by the way I still have powertrain warranty for another year or 10,000 miles.

Thanks in Advance

Get a hold of Courtney Mutema at Infiniti of Scottsdale, her prices seem to be the lowest.
You can purchase the Extended Warranty before your factory bumper to bumper runs out and do not have to have an inspection. I purchased from her and handled everything via email. I have an 05 that was going to go out of warranty at end of April for both time and mileage and my extended cost me $1300.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Owner Help