G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just purchased a used G almost 100K Need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased a used G almost 100K Need help!

Hello guys and gals. I recently purchased a used G35 sedan 6MT with 99K miles on it. I am a big do it yourself guy but I need some help on the recommended maintenance for my car. The car is bone stock and looks like it has been well maintained I just want to do whatever I can to keep my new baby running well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome fellow 6mt sedan guy! you'll find lots of stuff on here, and some of it is useful. this topic has been discussed so you will find some info by searching.

take a look through the maintenance records first. i'd say plugs, belts, rear diff, tranny, coolant, power steering, air filter (just get a K&N), cabin filter - all should be looked at and/or changed. it depends on what's been done!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the help canucklehead. This weekend I replaced my Differential fluid and Transmission fluid with the recommended Amsoil Synthetic. I also bled my clutch fluid with Amsoil products as well. I am going to change my spark plugs this coming weekend. Do you recommend the OEM NGK platinums? The coolant looks good and the poser steering fluid is very clean as well. I opened the air box and found that I already have a K&N filter! My next oil change will be with Amsoil as well I am very impressed with their products Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Get the NGK Iridium, best plugs hands down, look at your belts, pads/rotors, in cabin filter,

Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks a lot 4drGreatness. I forgot to mention I replaced the in cabin filter as well. The belts look perfectly fine. I will inspect my this weekend as well after the spark plugs. I have been looking at the hawk HPS pads. I do not have the Brembo Package (I wish I had) but the stock brakes are pretty good.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
yea the stock brakes are decent, very minimal brake dust. The hawk hps have a lot more brake dust. The Hawks are nice tho, i like em

Old 06-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Flush all the fluids and change the spark plugs, if it has the stock battery maybe swap that out to.

You should be fine and get a lot more miles out of it!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drGreatness
yea the stock brakes are decent, very minimal brake dust. The hawk hps have a lot more brake dust. The Hawks are nice tho, i like em
I've noticed the Hawk hps pads have considerably less dust than OEM pads... isn't that one of their main selling points? "low dust" ??

Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great info! 4DGS: I have a new battery in it but I need to swap my Optima Yellow Top for a D35 that will fit my car. The one I have now from my old 96 Maxima does not allow me to properly mount the posts. Anyone out there that needs and Optima Yellow Top? I will have more info on my battery tomorrow. I had it in my 1996 Nissan Maxima for about 1 year with no problems at all. I am willing to to sell/ or trade. All i want is one that will fit in my G.

Once again, thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johally
the poser steering fluid is very clean
Wow, I didn't know the posers here had their own steering fluid! (No offense, johally, that was too good a straight line, I know what it is like to have a finger slip to the next key<G>!)

Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johally
I have been looking at the hawk HPS pads...
I wasn't very happy when I ran Hawk HPS pads in the rear. At the time I had OEM front pads. I consistently monitored the differences in brake dust produced by the OE pads vs. the Hawks. The rear wheels always had a darker coating than the fronts. So, in my opinion, the Hawks produce more dust than the OE pads. It is not much more, it's manageable but still noticeable. Not only that but the Hawks chewed into the rear rotors. To me, they are clearly too harsh for the OE rotor. If you are going to use the Hawks I suggest you make sure your rotors can handle the Hawks' compound. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Good one Dan in St. Louis, I missed it. Yes you are right it was a typo. I have yet to see the Poser PS fluid. Thanks everyone for your input on the brakes. I will see this weekend when I inspect my brakes how long I have before I need change them.
Update: I also installed the RHD JDM Battery cover and I am looking into upgrading my stereo system. I have been looking at some Kenwood and some Pioneer double din units.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned
You should change the windshield and the frame and you might as well change all the windows, change the tires, upgrade the radio, flush the speakers wires, change the seats and floormats and visor, Upgrade the sterring wheel (K&N of course), run grey poupon through the vents and oh ya you should flush all the fluids.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM
governor you sarcasm amazes me. It's always nice to get a laugh once in a while.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Do all the fluids...which it sounds like you have. Check the hoses and belts.

Save some money up now, so we can start a modding fund.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a used G almost 100K Need help!