G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

front brake pads installed *question*!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front brake pads installed *question*!!!

i just got my front brake pads replaced at monroe. i had them done before from them so they were under warranty. the right one was missing the clip and the pad was not clipped in. So it made a noise when driving and it would stop when i pressed the pad. Ok now i got fresh new ones installed noise went away, but now i see it looks like my pads are reversed?? Both sides are not even clipped in. The slot is on the right side and that little metal clip is on the left. You know what i mean. When i talked to the mechanic that installed the wheel bearing, he said these clip in. I remember the left front was clipped in, now both are not clipped in. The little piece on the brake is on the opposite side of the clip hanger? Before i left i asked them that and monroe said these slide in. Basically that metal silver clip on the pad is not clipped into the other piece.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
the loop is on the other side of the pad return spring. i dont understand

Old 07-27-2009, 07:49 PM
The spring/clip is suppose to be underneath/behind that loop. Sounds like they have them on the incorrect sides. Make them fix it. That is what keeps the pad backed off of the rotor when you're brakes are released.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
i know there so dumb now i have to call them tommorow and explain to the manager. he wasnt there. the other 2 said they just slide on, but i remember the mechanic from another place explaining they clip on and 1 clip was broken off thats why i got them replaced. how could they put the pads on the incorrect sides? is it ruining my brakes? the noise didnt even go away, you can like a whistle/tick sound when the car is just strolling. i was getting them fixed because of that issue probably with them not being clipped in. wow now i have to wait again

Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I was about to comment, but i realized your '04's front brakes are different that my '06's....so what I had to say prob doesn't apply to you

Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
It takes a mere 10 minutes to remove and reinstall the pads. Including compressing the piston. Seriously. Fix this problem yourself and save yourself the headache.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
It takes a mere 10 minutes to remove and reinstall the pads. Including compressing the piston. Seriously. Fix this problem yourself and save yourself the headache.
dont have jack stands and not doing it myself if they screwed up. i cant believe both the gentlemen when i left i checked if the clips were in and they were on the opposite side of the loop. they said they just slide in. why are they so dumb?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM
they didnt even know what im talking about, i have to show them when i go back. there supposed to be clipped in.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blownvert
dont have jack stands and not doing it myself if they screwed up. i cant believe both the gentlemen when i left i checked if the clips were in and they were on the opposite side of the loop. they said they just slide in. why are they so dumb?
You don't need jackstands, just a jack, and I wouldn't take it back because it doesn't sound like they know what they're doing. 10 minutes tops per side and you'll know it's done right.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Just jack up one side, take wheel off and upbolt the caliper. On my car it was a 21MM and 15mm socket IIRC. May be different on an 03/04 though.

I can have the pads off in 10 mins...not that hard really.

BTW, jackstands are $20 for a pair from sears. Everyone who does their own oil change should have a pair. I have 3 pairs myself.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
why would someone do there own oil change if its like $20. why hassle in buying oil what you saving $5? I dont have a jack. my wheel shakes when i press on the brakes at higher speeds with steering wheel vibration. the pads are not on right. is that what is causing that?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blownvert
why would someone do there own oil change if its like $20. why hassle in buying oil what you saving $5? I dont have a jack. my wheel shakes when i press on the brakes at higher speeds with steering wheel vibration. the pads are not on right. is that what is causing that?
The jack stands are $20, not the oil change. And the reason you do your own oil change is for about the same money it costs to have someone put dino oil in your car, you can put synthetic oil in and get twice the mileage out of it while running a higher quality oil.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Plus you know it's done right and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
The jack stands are $20, not the oil change. And the reason you do your own oil change is for about the same money it costs to have someone put dino oil in your car, you can put synthetic oil in and get twice the mileage out of it while running a higher quality oil.

word

Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you only need a 14, and you only need to take the caliper off.

leave the bracket installed. no need to compress the piston.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front brake pads installed *question*!!!