G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Cash for clunkers...the AWD G qualifies...HAHA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
This is a stupid program. Its nothing but a way to purge the surplus of cars on dealers lots. The idea of this being "green" is totally false. The amount of energy and enviornmental impacts it takes to destroy the car is more devistating than the MPG rating of the "clunker". Not to mention the enegry needed along with the enviornmental effects it takes to manufacture a NEW car that gets what few MPG more is absurd.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I think they could have found a better way to dispose of the vehicles rather than disable and crush them. There are plenty of people out there that can barely afford a car, and here we are buying perfectly good cars (some of them at least) with taxpayer money and destroying them.

I actually take back what i said about the program hurting people because they shouldnt be buying a new car if they have a $2000 POS. I've seen well-to-do families take advantage and trade in their 2nd or 3rd vehicle and get something new. My father, who makes a very good living, took advantage of it and finally traded in his 1997 Dodge 1500 pickup since there are very good deals out there. $4500 on his trade in plus $4500 match is $9000 off sticker. When you look at it that way, now is a very good time to buy a car if you have a crappy 2nd car you wouldn't mind ditching.

On the otherhand...i wish someone would help me out with some taxpayer dollars. I could use a motorcycle or somthing.

Actually, on another forum i am on, some guys who work for dealers are posting pics of the cars turned in under the program. Some are nice clean cars. They say it hurts them to go out and disable the engine of a nice condition 90's BMW or otherwise clean vehicle.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Actually, on another forum i am on, some guys who work for dealers are posting pics of the cars turned in under the program. Some are nice clean cars. They say it hurts them to go out and disable the engine of a nice condition 90's BMW or otherwise clean vehicle.
Exactly. Anybody who loves cars would feel sick to their stomach after doing that.

At first I thought this program was a good thing, but the more I think about it the less I like it.

- Tax dollars are not supposed to be used to help subsidize someone buying a new car.
- Perfectly good cars are being destroyed and charities are losing out on vehicle donations that they would have received if not for this program.
- Massive amounts of energy and resources are being used to scrap these 'clunkers'.
- This only benefits the auto industry...what about all the others who are struggling also?
- Many people already planned to purchase a new vehicle before this program was announced, but decided to put off their purchase to take advantage of the rebate. I actually read somewhere that each car has a real cost of around $50K if you only count those people who could not afford a car without the rebate. It would have been cheaper to just buy everybody new cars and hand them out.
- Is encouraging people to pile on more debt really the way to help the economy recover?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
Exactly. Anybody who loves cars would feel sick to their stomach after doing that.

At first I thought this program was a good thing, but the more I think about it the less I like it.

- Tax dollars are not supposed to be used to help subsidize someone buying a new car.
- Perfectly good cars are being destroyed and charities are losing out on vehicle donations that they would have received if not for this program.
- Massive amounts of energy and resources are being used to scrap these 'clunkers'.
- This only benefits the auto industry...what about all the others who are struggling also?
- Many people already planned to purchase a new vehicle before this program was announced, but decided to put off their purchase to take advantage of the rebate. I actually read somewhere that each car has a real cost of around $50K if you only count those people who could not afford a car without the rebate. It would have been cheaper to just buy everybody new cars and hand them out.

i agree, when i first learned about it I was excited for it. But now after looking into all the negatives and how rediculous the procedures are for disposing the clunker, im quite embarrassed to say the least...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I think they could have found a better way to dispose of the vehicles rather than disable and crush them. There are plenty of people out there that can barely afford a car, and here we are buying perfectly good cars (some of them at least) with taxpayer money and destroying them.

I actually take back what i said about the program hurting people because they shouldnt be buying a new car if they have a $2000 POS. I've seen well-to-do families take advantage and trade in their 2nd or 3rd vehicle and get something new. My father, who makes a very good living, took advantage of it and finally traded in his 1997 Dodge 1500 pickup since there are very good deals out there. $4500 on his trade in plus $4500 match is $9000 off sticker. When you look at it that way, now is a very good time to buy a car if you have a crappy 2nd car you wouldn't mind ditching.

On the otherhand...i wish someone would help me out with some taxpayer dollars. I could use a motorcycle or somthing.

Mind sharing the forum url or pics. I am curious as to what cars people are trading in.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obama never should have been president in the first place.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 PM
If you really think this ONLY benefits the auto industry and the buyer/trader, you're clearly not thinking this through... We've been seeing who suffers when the auto industry suffers for the past few years, this can ONLY be a good thing! Think about how little 4500.00 is for "you the taxpayer is to lay out compared to what you've BEEN laying out to them... BILLIONS! Maybe we'll get lucky and 1 in 10 of the people who use this program will buy american... Even that number would be a help. Seriously think guys. To think that this program can't make us money back is just retarded.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Mind sharing the forum url or pics. I am curious as to what cars people are trading in.

Here ya go

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1147172

Keep in mind its a Mustang forum, so the guys mainly cry over a clean '86 GT that was traded in and destroyed. Most people would consider it a clunker though

Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I saw so many cars on that forum that i could use right now during the winter (im in search of an SUV)

I was at my ford dealer today and found a nice 02-03 Chevy Trailblazer in that mix. For $4500 i would have bought that from the owner. It was cleaner than half the ones i ahve been looking at for $5500.

This program makes me sick to my stomach. Half these cars arent even REMOTLEY close to a clunker.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by snotf
If you really think this ONLY benefits the auto industry and the buyer/trader, you're clearly not thinking this through... We've been seeing who suffers when the auto industry suffers for the past few years, this can ONLY be a good thing! Think about how little 4500.00 is for "you the taxpayer is to lay out compared to what you've BEEN laying out to them... BILLIONS! Maybe we'll get lucky and 1 in 10 of the people who use this program will buy american... Even that number would be a help. Seriously think guys. To think that this program can't make us money back is just retarded.
You do realize that this program has already cost $1 Billion and is about to be bumped by another $2 Billion? So no, the cost is not small.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Read this this AM

8 of of 10 of the most popular purchases are American cars

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/07/auto...ales/index.htm

Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
And what do you think it costs to bail out a failing american automaker these days? How about to bail out three? How about if we then look at the unemployment checks that are going out to people in VA and detroit, to name a couple offhand? Do you think that might be more than a few billion? Do you think that the impact on the housing market in detroit, where things are currently so bleak that people have abandonded their homes, so now you can pick up a house for -3500.00us dollars costs us nothing? Do you think that just because these cars engines are disabled means they are completely useless? There are still ways to recoup money back... Seriously. Use your head before you present me a half baked argument.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by snotf
And what do you think it costs to bail out a failing american automaker these days? How about to bail out three? How about if we then look at the unemployment checks that are going out to people in VA and detroit, to name a couple offhand? Do you think that might be more than a few billion? Do you think that the impact on the housing market in detroit, where things are currently so bleak that people have abandonded their homes, so now you can pick up a house for -3500.00us dollars costs us nothing? Do you think that just because these cars engines are disabled means they are completely useless? There are still ways to recoup money back... Seriously. Use your head before you present me a half baked argument.
I realize all of those things cost money...way too much money. I'm not sure what your point is though? Do you really think that this program will somehow turn the American auto industry around? They are trying to fix the problem by throwing money at it and putting on some bandaids. I think it is a half-a**, poorly thought out program...you don't, let's just leave it at that.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I saw so many cars on that forum that i could use right now during the winter (im in search of an SUV)

I was at my ford dealer today and found a nice 02-03 Chevy Trailblazer in that mix. For $4500 i would have bought that from the owner. It was cleaner than half the ones i ahve been looking at for $5500.

This program makes me sick to my stomach. Half these cars arent even REMOTLEY close to a clunker.
agreed. The disabling of the engine is the worst part and I dont wish that on any engine. This program should really be called "cash for guzzlers" since alot of these cars being traded in are probably fine. What are the lower income people going to drive if they cant afford a new car and all of the "clunkers" are being destroyed and taken off the streets?

Last edited by RADIOGUY21; 08-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
And what are we going to use as our winter beaters? lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cash for clunkers...the AWD G qualifies...HAHA