G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How much is the 30k Maintenance service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
Biggest PITA about the oil change is removing that cover. I think it took me 20 mins to remove that, 10 to change the oil, and another 20 to put the cover back on. There were also two screws missing from whoever had been changing it in the past. I really need to get some ramps because the jack I used for my F150 doesn't come close to fitting under the car.
20 minutes is a long time. Are you using a power drill?

After I took over the oil change, I think all the screws are intact. The plastic tab in the middle is missing though.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Speaking of power drill. Does anyone have a good recommendation of a corded power drill. Not too expensive though. I have a Ryobi cordless drill from like 5 years ago and I don't like having to remember to charge it before each use, thus I perfer a corded one. The cordless drill I have has a max torque of only 24 lb and I want something a little more heavy duty.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
They probably have you sit on some $8,000 sofa with 70 inch TV and a gold crown on your head while you are waiting for the GLORIFIED oil change.
Close. I think it was a $4000 sofa and 70" LCD I was watching

I was there for warranty work though. My mom has an '06 C230 and i do the maintainence for it. The service B is even more of a ripoff. ~$400 and you get a little more done.

Benz's are the most cost inefficient vehicles to own IMHO. You are paying for the name basically and everything is marked up so much you'd think they laced the metals used in the parts with gold.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Close. I think it was a $4000 sofa and 70" LCD I was watching

I was there for warranty work though. My mom has an '06 C230 and i do the maintainence for it. The service B is even more of a ripoff. ~$400 and you get a little more done.

Benz's are the most cost inefficient vehicles to own IMHO. You are paying for the name basically and everything is marked up so much you'd think they laced the metals used in the parts with gold.
$400 for Service B oil change DAMN!!!

Do they also provide donut/bagels like Infiniti or they have something more upscale like a dining table with full course meal?

Service Advisor: While you are waiting for your $400 oil change, what would you like for drink and appetizer to start with?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
20 minutes is a long time. Are you using a power drill?

After I took over the oil change, I think all the screws are intact. The plastic tab in the middle is missing though.
Ha, no kidding. I actually used a socket wrench which is probably why it took so long. I was using some make shift ramps made out of stacked wood so there wasn't much clearance. After I get some real ones I should have more room to get under there with my drill.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Speaking of power drill. Does anyone have a good recommendation of a corded power drill. Not too expensive though. I have a Ryobi cordless drill from like 5 years ago and I don't like having to remember to charge it before each use, thus I perfer a corded one. The cordless drill I have has a max torque of only 24 lb and I want something a little more heavy duty.
Just get an extra battery for yours and keep one charged at all times.

As far as corded drills go, they are pretty cheap. I think you can pick up a good DeWalt, Hitachi, or Porter Cable at Lowe's for about $50 or less.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Ha, no kidding. I actually used a socket wrench which is probably why it took so long. I was using some make shift ramps made out of stacked wood so there wasn't much clearance. After I get some real ones I should have more room to get under there with my drill.
I ride it on top of two 2x12 (around 3 inch of lift). With that I was able to reach in and use the drill on all the screws.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
$400 for Service B oil change DAMN!!!

Do they also provide donut/bagels like Infiniti or they have something more upscale like a dining table with full course meal?

Service Advisor: While you are waiting for your $400 oil change, what would you like for drink and appetizer to start with?

They had coffee, just like Infiniti. They had those little K-cup machines that make it in 30 seconds

Here's what comes in the service B

B-Service — First visit at approximately 20,000 miles or one year after previous service, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

Services performed:

Interior
· Function check
· Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
· Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
· Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster
· Replace dust filter (not applicable to SL-Class)
· Replace combination filter (SL-Class)
· Check parking brake (function test only)

Wheels, brakes
· Check condition/thickness of front and rear brake discs
· Check front and rear brake pads for lining thickness
· Check tires for damage and condition
· Measure tread depth, record in mm
· Correct tire inflation pressure

Underside of Vehicle
· Check for major components leakage
· Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
· Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
· Check condition of mechanical steering components and rubber boots

Engine Compartment
· Check for major components leakage
· Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
· Check and replenish all fluid levels
· Change engine oil and filter
· Check engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
· Check brake system
· Check power steering
· Check Active Body Control
· Check windshield washer system
· Check and correct battery fluid level
· Check battery condition
· Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
· Check condition of poly V-belt

Trunk
· Check battery condition
· Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire

I just called and checked....about $300 for the above service..not $400

The sneaky part i hate is the car as interval indicators that tell you when to go in for service A and service B. They are annoying and come up every time you start the car. The manual doesn't show you how to reset them, it says to go in for service. You have to dig around on the MB forums to figure out how to reset the interval lights

Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Just get an extra battery for yours and keep one charged at all times.

As far as corded drills go, they are pretty cheap. I think you can pick up a good DeWalt, Hitachi, or Porter Cable at Lowe's for about $50 or less.
Well...the drill was a pretty cheap drill thus it lacks power. Often times than not, it doesn't have the power to drill it through things. The drill is over 5 years old, not even sure if they still make batteries for it. I rather not have to worry about charging it since I don't use the drill often.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
They had coffee, just like Infiniti. They had those little K-cup machines that make it in 30 seconds

Here's what comes in the service B

I just called and checked....about $300 for the above service..not $400

The sneaky part i hate is the car as interval indicators that tell you when to go in for service A and service B. They are annoying and come up every time you start the car. The manual doesn't show you how to reset them, it says to go in for service. You have to dig around on the MB forums to figure out how to reset the interval lights
Wow...that's a bargain for $300...YEAH RIGHT

I get a kick out of reading the first line item "Interior Function Check". What exactly is that?

Carpet in place - check
Seats in front and rear - check
Steering wheel present - check
Leather smells fresh - check
Shift **** has finger print - OH NO, clean it with microfiber - check

Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend is a mechanic in a mom and pop shop. For the newer Benz, you will need a special machine to reset the Service Light on the dash. He bought it and guess what, it didn't work. Later he learned that the "Reset" machine is more like a proprietory part from MB....or very very $$$$$ to buy.