G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

One man's quest to make his G sedan what it should have been from the factory...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
One man's quest to make his G sedan what it should have been from the factory...

I'm starting this thread to document my process and research of turning my non-sport G sedan into what it should have been from the factory. Or rather let's say that I'm attempting to make it a pseudo 2006 G35"S" sedan. My goal is not to create a track car or a 1/4 mile burner, just intending to keep it close to stock in appearance with an emphasis on improving the overall daily driving experience. Keep in mind that I'm not rich by any means...average Joe income and such. I'll support my modding decisions by sifting through all of the data that is available and make the best choice possible in terms of return on investment. I'll support my decisions with the research I've gathered and share it for all. Some of this process will be my personal preference and opinions obviously. Keep in mind that I'm not able to try every part available for the G and I know there are peeps here that have tons more experience with this car than I do. I just wanted to put this effort on paper with the thought that someone may find it as useful as I've found all of the information buried in this site...

With that said, let the modding begin... First up is chassis stiffening and suspension. My opinion is that the enjoyment of driving comes from handling and feel. You can have the fastest car in the world but if it can't hold a corner and the body flex doesn't let the suspension do what it was intended to do then well....driving just isn't that much fun. The consensus on the G is that the chassis isn't as stiff as it should be. It's obvious for me every time I pull out of my driveway and I hear the ever so slight creaking. That will be my unscientific gage of how well any chassis mods I do work.

First up, 350evo rear sway bar... Why? Well, it was on sale for $114 shipped, the rear end on my car was very sloppy, and it's an easy first mod for those that don't do much wrenching. I looked at all of the other options and felt like it was a great option. The price obviously, but also it came with bushings and some do not. I should add a disclaimer that this bar is not designed like the others and goes under the exhaust and could interfere with some aftermarket systems. Even the stock system didn't provide much clearance for the bar, maybe only a quarter of an inch, but so far I've noticed no clunking or rattling at all.

I took delivery, jacked up the rear end, and got started. Install took about an hour with regular tools. Breaker bar was a must, but all in all it was very easy install. Set it up on the middle hole (medium) and tightened everything up. When I was finished I took it for a test drive and there was a huge difference in the feel of the rear end overall! Throwing the car into corners is quite fun now and not uneasy like before. Win win in my opinion!

At this time I've decided not to do the front bar. The consensus that I've gathered in reading other threads is that the front bar is quite sufficient for enthusiast driver purposes. That being said, I will most likely replace the bushings with Prothanes soon...

Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Sways are one of the best first mods around. Love my Stillens. What are your plans for performance/appearance/sound? The "Official What Mods Should I Buy for my Sedan" sticky should be a great resource for you.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feel like Im tuning into a Discovery show. Hahah. "Rides"

My ONLY suggestion is, pictures as you update. Good luck though!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Here's a pic of the stock sway versus the 350evo... Huge difference! The stock bar was a feather in comparison to the 350evo. I'll get one of it on the car too via the ever so handy iPhone.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Sways are one of the best first mods around. Love my Stillens. What are your plans for performance/appearance/sound? The "Official What Mods Should I Buy for my Sedan" sticky should be a great resource for you.
Yep, that thread has been very useful as well and the search feature.

Performance?
Coupe midpipe (performance gains debateable)
Z-tube

Appearance?
Z/G spring combo with 18" coupe rims
Clear corners

Sound?
Custom fit sub box with sub and amp

Those are just the basics that I've researched so far.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I've scored a coupe midpipe and GT Spec rear tie bar for $150 shipped. I'll report back on those next week after I install.

Also, I've got the first pieces to my Z/G combo... Scored coupe springs for $70 shipped. I'll only be using the rears and will try to recoup a little money by listing the fronts on ebay and craigslist, although they're not worth much.

So, if you're keeping track so far I've spent $334 on mods so far.
- 350evo sway bar
- coupe midpipe
- GT Spec rear tie bar
- Coupe springs

Also, I'll be doing all of the work myself or that is humanly possible to save labor costs.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I too have the same outlook with my G. Check out my garage for all the OEM mods you can do to improve the sound, acceleration, and handling of this car for minimal cash. I have the Chip Foose mentality in that I try to improve the car while still preserving, but improving the look, performance, and driveability. I am not one for compromise like loud drony exhausts to gain 4whp or a buck-board race car ride or in you face mods to the body.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM
^ I've read a lot of your posts and gotten a ton of good info out of them. Kansas City huh? Nyce!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mermarine
^ I've read a lot of your posts and gotten a ton of good info out of them. Kansas City huh? Nyce!
Yep, didn't even catch you were local. I'm out in Shawnee.

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
4mer, since you are from KS I was gonna suggest you hook up with DaveB.

Performance-wise, look into a plenum spacer, too. A good panel air filter will get you a little perf boost, as well.

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would add MD spacer, K&N drop in, HR y pipe and HKS muffler to the performance.

As for appearance - OEM lip

Subscribed...

Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
i like posts like these. good luck and keep posting pics

Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
+1 to the OEM Lip.

Also you and Dave should meet up. He is the guru with us OEM modders lol

Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
This is going to be an interesting thread. Subscribed! For reference, is your car a 6MT 5ATrwd or 5ATX??

Old 09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Dave's car represents a really good version of an improved OEM style. I'd like to think my car is also but I have a custom Borla dual exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One man's quest to make his G sedan what it should have been from the factory...