G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tired of small yet expensive repairs on Infinitis?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of small yet expensive repairs on Infinitis?

Is anyone else frustrated with the amount and cost to repair some of these issues that come up? It's unreal. They continue to pack all these features into these cars, but they breakdown and are ridiculously expensive to repair. We have a 98 I30 with 100k+ miles and not a problem to be mentioned. I've had an I35 that I had to dump due to excessive engine ping, and now the G35 and it's seat problem. I can't wait to see all the electrical problems this car will exhibit. Not to mention the problems that I'm expecting on our 05 FX35. My next car will likely be a Lexus. If for some reason I have a change of heart, I will definitely be buying an extended warranty. But I don't believe that I should be forced to buy an extended warranty b/c I know repairs WILL occur when I buy a $35k vehicle.

Loyal but now frustrated Infiniti owner.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
you guys must have bought up all the bad Infinitis............cuz I got the perfect one.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Some of the problems are only expensive if you let them be expensive. Case in point: the classic cd-changer issue. If you take it to the stealership, they'll charge you $42,671 or so to fix it. Or you can get the Double-Din kit and a better aftermarket radio for cheap, or you can get the Metra kit for cheaper, or you can take it apart and remove the disk changer and plug a tape adapter into your MP3 player for... free. So far I haven't had anything go wrong (big or little) that I couldn't fix myself for little or no money out of pocket.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thus why I chose to do all repairs myself... my car has been pretty good to me so can't complain.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
It's hit or miss with cars. Sometimes you get a well-made one, and sometimes you get one made on a Friday at 3PM or something. I myself am not wowed by Infiniti reliability, but it would not prevent me from purchasing another one. My next one could go 5 years easy with not a single issue.

My warranty is up in 3 months...and for the first time for me with a new car..i'm debating an extended warranty. But part of that has to do with me getting old and lazy and sick of doing repairs on my daily driver's.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Is this seat issue I'm experiencing easy to fix once I get the gear?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
You're getting this pissed about a failing power seat gear on a used G35? Wow.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I've got 150K + miles on my car and its a freakin' champ. Reliability is fantastic for me. I did a compression test the other day 180 psi all around. Right on par with all the other vq35de engines around with much fewer miles.

Electrical issues have been nil aside from the radio unit, but I had plans to change that out from the beginning anyways cuz I hate stock stereos.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Pissed is a little strong. Maybe you don't, but I expect better from a luxury vehicle. This is our 4th Infiniti. You're telling me you wouldn't be a little ticked off when you learn it'll cost $2895 to fix a seat because Nissan/Infiniti decided not to sell the little plastic gear separately?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
things that **** me off:
-fawking rust everywhere and they wont do jack about it until it creates holes....talk about preventative maintenance. I have an 05???
-Bearings going bad....does this only happen to us folks who lower the damn car?
-Pretty much everything else that comes with owning an X

ok i feel better now

Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Things break on cars, no matter the make. I'm guessing your G is somewhere around 4 years old and was bought used. Who kinows how the previous owner treated the car, how heavy they were, how often they used the power functions of the seat.

Where is this gear you speak of? Where in the world is your dealership getting that $2900 price I'm a DIY guy and could get all the parts to fix that seat for under $500. I'd be sourcing seats from www.car-part.com and then just trade over the parts and/or just use the seat I bought. It's a simple swap. Unbolt a couple clips, four bolts, swap. You should be able to swap the driver's seat in about 30 minutes.

Take a look at this site and see if you can find where the part is that you need. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

I'm assuming it's either the seat track ($561) or seat frame ($748), but again, I'd just go buy a used seat. They're everywhere.

And no, I'm not tired of small expensive fixes because my 7 y/o G35 has been basically bulletproof and for most owners, the experience is the same mine. My 96 Maxima was the same way. I've been VERY happy with my Nissan products over the past 11 years. I have an extended warranty for my G and I never used it once. Lesson learned. I've also learned that most repairs on this car, as well as most any Japanese car, are relatively easy and usually cheap.

Last edited by DaveB; 12-01-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Dave B.!!!

+1

Old 12-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Knock on wood, but nothing has broken apart from some warranty thing with a bad airbag sensor, but the usual cd changer and window motor faults are easy or cheaper to fix than bigger problems on other cars. I've never heard of this seat failure that you describe, so it must be a one in a XXXX number of cars that had this happen, so I think you just are out of luck on that one. Again, don't always listen to the dealer when you have a problem, post up here and normally someone can help you find a cheaper deal on fixing it.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, my seat has failed twice in 6 years. Like one gear is jammed, so won't go forward or backward.

I still had an extended warranty, so I don't know if that affected the quote, but it would have cost $1100 with tax to repair the last time. At that price, if I was paying the whole cost, would have been worth checking out other options.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I think company's abuse of extended warranties and insurance is why we end up with ridiculous prices. Proof? How about quoting almost $3000 to fix a small plastic gear?
Like Dave said, you can get an entire junk seat for that.
Here, just buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280425189603 Steal whatever you need off it and then sell whatever you don't use to recoup some money. That's $400 or less. If you keep your eye out, you can probably find one for even less.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tired of small yet expensive repairs on Infinitis?