G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How does a 05-06 G35 compare to a 01-03 M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
I was using the E60 M5 as an example of the cost associated with modding relative to the estimated cost of modding an E46 M3 vs. a G35.

Anyone can look at Dinan or Hartge to get some idea of the cost involved.
Oh yea I know, I should have noted that I understood. However the E60 M5 is one of the most priciest BMW's to mod.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think mod potential is the only thing that sets the E46 BMW a part from a G. An E46 M3 is a far better performance car than a G35. The G is a great car, especially with some well selected modifications, but it will never be like an M3, even a stock one. A stock M3 runs 13.3-13.5@103-105mph. It take a lot of coin to get an NA G to do the same thing. As for all HP potential, again, you're kidding yourselves if you think you can just strap on a turbo to the G and call it a day. The VQ35DE/Revup requires a LOT of money to handle boost. The motor doesn't like FI and you'd best rebuild it if you want it to last. To get a G to handle boost reliabily is going to take about $10-12K including the turbo. Yeah, you'll be quicker than the M3, but I'd still put money on the M3 winning on a road course. Sometimes it's not all about the power. It about the balance.

As for reliability, the G is a better choice assuming the G isn't forced induced. If it is, all bets are off. Adding forced induction to an NA motor always has it's headaches and you'd best be a good trouble shooter or you'll be spending a good bit of time at the shop figuring out odd driveability issues.

If it were me, I'd much rather an E46 M3. If I wanted more power, I'd install one of the many quality Vortech blower units that includes injectors and an ECU flash and have the car make a reliable and clean 360whp.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think mod potential is the only thing that sets the E46 BMW a part from a G. An E46 M3 is a far better performance car than a G35. The G is a great car, especially with some well selected modifications, but it will never be like an M3, even a stock one. A stock M3 runs 13.3-13.5@103-105mph. It take a lot of coin to get an NA G to do the same thing. As for all HP potential, again, you're kidding yourselves if you think you can just strap on a turbo to the G and call it a day. The VQ35DE/Revup requires a LOT of money to handle boost. The motor doesn't like FI and you'd best rebuild it if you want it to last. To get a G to handle boost reliabily is going to take about $10-12K including the turbo. Yeah, you'll be quicker than the M3, but I'd still put money on the M3 winning on a road course. Sometimes it's not all about the power. It about the balance.

As for reliability, the G is a better choice assuming the G isn't forced induced. If it is, all bets are off. Adding forced induction to an NA motor always has it's headaches and you'd best be a good trouble shooter or you'll be spending a good bit of time at the shop figuring out odd driveability issues.

If it were me, I'd much rather an E46 M3. If I wanted more power, I'd install one of the many quality Vortech blower units that includes injectors and an ECU flash and have the car make a reliable and clean 360whp.
If your on a "budget", stock for stock, M3 hands down for performance while the G35 wins for the "cheaper" of the two. Dave you are right but lets be for real. This guy is looking for an 01-03 M3 where those years have the most problems. So if he is looking at those years he is watching his wallet. An M3 will take your wallet, flip it upside down, and shake the living hell out of it. Thats the price you pay for the better performance it gives you. Now if the OP does have some money and is looking to mod. Then thats where you answer my question above.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 AM
What DaveB said, stock they perform better. Handling, they are not on par with each other.

People forgot/fail to see the comparison between the G35 AWD sedan vs. M3 coupe?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tangerine
What DaveB said, stock they perform better. Handling, they are not on par with each other.

People forgot/fail to see the comparison between the G35 AWD sedan vs. M3 coupe?
What about it? Still no competition. Stock for Stock.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I disagree. You really don't think just by swapping some internals and making 1500 BHP at the crank, that an engine like the VQ wasn't meant for force induction. I heard that argument before.

And to top it off, the VR38DETT in the GTR is a perfect example showing that forced induction was in fact planned and premeditated by Nissan from the beginning of the VQ line and it's a really long line showing their commitment to the series.

and an E46 M3 supercharged will run 12s. A 350z with every bolt on imaginable will run that naturally aspired http://www.youtube.com/v/8XQazS_Srbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&, (though I would run this exhaust instead http://www.youtube.com/v/iU2h0JTq2fk&hl=en_US&fs=1& for weight savings, higher whp and better times than the 350z in the vid) and beat the M3 in cost and reliability and times.

Last edited by Andrei; 12-14-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Well I disagree. You really don't think just by swapping some internals and making 1500 BHP at the crank, that an engine like the VQ wasn't mean for force induction. I heard that argument before.

And to top it off, the VR38DETT in the GTR is a perfect example showing that forced induction was in fact planned and premeditated by Nissan from the beginning of the VQ line and it's a really long line showing their commitment to the series.

and an E46 M3 supercharged will run 12s. A 350z with every bolt on imaginable will run that naturally aspired http://www.youtube.com/v/8XQazS_Srbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&, (though I would run this exhaust instead http://www.youtube.com/v/iU2h0JTq2fk&hl=en_US&fs=1& for weight savings, higher whp and better times than the 350z in the vid) and beat the M3 in cost and reliability and times.
Eh, I properly built Horsepower Freaks turbo is VERY hard to beat in both performance and reliability. As Ive been saying all along, how much money do you have is the question. Not many people have this kind of money to blow.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Well I disagree. You really don't think just by swapping some internals and making 1500 BHP at the crank, that an engine like the VQ wasn't mean for force induction. I heard that argument before.

The VQ35DE/Rev/HR is NOT made for boost. It's made to rev therefore it has light weight pistons and rods. These parts are not made for the excessively high combustion chamber pressures and temps. Same goes for the compression ratio (10.2:1-10.4:1) and the cooling system. More HP means more heat. You need a cooling system that can handle it. To properly make a VQ35 handle boost will require the following:

1) Quality turbo setup ($4,500-6,000)
2) Rods, pistons ($1,500-2,000)
3) Cylinder head gaskets ($200)
4) Revup oil pump ($300)
5) Larger capacity oil pan ($300)
6) Larger radiator ($1,000)
7) Injectors ($800)
8) Lots of tuning, preferably on a load-style dyno ($600-800)
9) High performance clutch or built auto ($400-1,500)
10) Labor $2,000-3,000

When it's all said and done, you're in $11,600 to $15,900 for a fairly reliable VQ35 that can most anything thrown at it in terms of driving (daily, stop and go in 100+ temps, 1/4 mile, road course, etc). The VQ could handle around 500-600whp before the crank and block would call uncle. Sorry, but I'd much rather have the E46 M3. The G might smoke me in the staightline, assuming it can hook up, but in any sort of track situation, the M3 will most likely prevail because it's power is linear and constant where as the boosted G will be in and out of boost. This causes the chassis to be unstable and the tires easily overwhelmed.

As for you VR38TT example, you're incorrect. The VR was designed for boost and it shares only a couple of bolts with the VQ. It's an entirely different motor. Just because the VQ35/37 are 24V V6 Nissan motors like the VR38TT doesn't mean it was designed for boost.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imho, m3>g35 hands down. if you have th emoney to mod, theyre both expensive. the m'3 parts are priced higher, but we have 2 of everything, headers, exhaust, 4 cams, the list goes on. they pretty much equal out in the end as far as parts go. and vq's can handle boost well if done properly. i can attest to that.

on a side note, the comment about seeing a 700whp m3 as the highest whp m around...i believe active autowerks or hpfreaks made one g over 1000rwhp, the red one.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by AGThing1227
What about it? Still no competition. Stock for Stock.
Which is my point exactly.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Originally Posted by bbs350z
imho, m3>g35 hands down. if you have th emoney to mod, theyre both expensive. the m'3 parts are priced higher, but we have 2 of everything, headers, exhaust, 4 cams, the list goes on. they pretty much equal out in the end as far as parts go. and vq's can handle boost well if done properly. i can attest to that.

on a side note, the comment about seeing a 700whp m3 as the highest whp m around...i believe active autowerks or hpfreaks made one g over 1000rwhp, the red one.
HPF is beast. 1120rwhp on race gas and built internals and 762whp or race gas stock internals

Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Just because the VQ35/37 are 24V V6 Nissan motors like the VR38TT doesn't mean it was designed for boost.
Well then. I guess 600 whp out of a stock non built VQ that used to be naturally aspired is just a big coincidence. http://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/...p-474rwtq.html

Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Well then. I guess 600 whp out of a stock non built VQ that used to be naturally aspired is just a big coincidence. http://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/...p-474rwtq.html
You need to read my posts more clearly. I'm talking about long term reliability and driveability. Anyone can bolt up a turbo to a stock VQ35/HR and make some big numbers, but let's see where that VQ is at in 20K miles and a couple of years. You are very misguided if you think the rods, pistons, rings, and cooling system can handle that sort of power on a daily basis.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Does a stock g37 S coupe beat a stock previous gen m3 coupe?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
how does it compare?

The G's newer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does a 05-06 G35 compare to a 01-03 M3?