G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

taillight tints

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Visibility/legality issues aside...i think the stock taillight just looks better IMHO. The one on the right just looks old and faded. The one on the left looks clear and new.

That lip spoiler looks pretty damn good too!
thats cuz they're cheap vinyl overgays, a quality tail light paintjob looks better than stock imo

Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
What everyone seems to be forgetting is the reflector requirements. You have to have reflectors on the back of your car. Ours are integrated into the center of our stop lamps. Other cars that have clear tails have them on the bumper (look at the lexus RX posted earlier). This is another reason I wanted to paint the inside housings vs. tinting them or painting the lenses. The bluebat GTR's are the best option if you want to fight a ticket.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by psedog
What everyone seems to be forgetting is the reflector requirements. You have to have reflectors on the back of your car. Ours are integrated into the center of our stop lamps. Other cars that have clear tails have them on the bumper (look at the lexus RX posted earlier). This is another reason I wanted to paint the inside housings vs. tinting them or painting the lenses. The bluebat GTR's are the best option if you want to fight a ticket.
I have a bunch of info on the reflector codes as well (don't remember all off hand)... but yes, that is a consideration (albeit much less than the illumination of taillights and brake lights)... I do know that the previous "smoked" painted tint I had still did reflect light shined on it... and bats overlays do too... I'm not so sure my current darker version does... iirc the reflectors must be on the side - I'm not so sure about actual vehicle codes about direct rear... I'd have to look up what I have researched but no time right now...

Good point though...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 PM
damn it Eddie, I wanted go go home (still at work) - but it bugged me so I had to find my notes - there's more to it, but here's the relevant...

24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:
(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

so yes, you are right - it is from directly behind (I believe I was thinking about rear side markers (which yes, they are required and we have)

(f) Area reflectorizing material may be used in lieu of the reflectors required or permitted in subdivisions (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e), provided each installation is of sufficient size to meet the photometric requirement for those reflectors.

^^^this makes it easy to "Fix" if it doesn't currently reflect

24610. A reflector placed on vehicles under Section 24609 which is of the button or other multiple-unit type shall contain not less than seven units with a total of not less than three square inches of reflecting surface. The red reflectors required may be separate units or a part of the red taillamps, but in either event the reflector and taillamps shall comply with all of the requirements of Sections 24600, 24602, and 24609, and any reflector constituting an integral part of a taillamp shall comply with all photometric requirements applicable to a separate reflector.

Happy tinting

Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Visibility/legality issues aside...i think the stock taillight just looks better IMHO. The one on the right just looks old and faded. The one on the left looks clear and new.

That lip spoiler looks pretty damn good too!
They looked better in person but they are gone now. Thanks for the comment!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
wait a minute, I almost forgot... regarding the "Reflector" requirement - this pic shows the rear reflector simply from the flash on my point & shoot camera... actual headlights (the way it is required in the vehicle code) would reflect even more... just the flash reflects them almost as much as the leds illuminate ~

So no problem with reflectors however, this is my previous smoked (a little lighter than current) - I should look to see how much they reflect now...

for those that don't know, the reflectors are the three lines just inside the rows of led dots

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Back in SD**

That looks to be a pretty weak flash
I was planning on taking a picture with a car behind my car with it's lights on. I'll utilize my wifes car which has very weak head lights. I've even installed better bulbs and it doesn't matter. The reflectors in her headlamp just suck. Anyway that is off subject

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Back in SD**

I see the side reflector now on the rear.

Here is a picture of that JDM sedan with a coupe front end. As you can see the reflector on the side is all lit up. Luckily I painted behind it so it should still work as intended. (although I did want to paint it )
Edit: off the subject, does anyone know where I can get those red lip strips? I know where this guys shop is so I can ask him, but it can be so difficult trying to talk to these guys in Japanese.

Last edited by psedog; 01-13-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I did mine with pinstripe tape. It's a PITA though. Not 100% perfect either. But it was just to hold me over until I get the wheels I want.

Is there a groove on your wheels that you can use as a guide?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 PM
there's also a small bulb in that rear side reflector - its just a running light/side marker like the front, but mine is wired to blink too as a turn signal.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Back in SD**

The JDM tails still have that reflector but don't have a LED in it. I'll post some pics later if you want to see the JDM's.

Originally Posted by nfsp1
I did mine with pinstripe tape. It's a PITA though. Not 100% perfect either. But it was just to hold me over until I get the wheels I want.

Is there a groove on your wheels that you can use as a guide?
There is a rubber strip that you can buy. That is what I want.

Last edited by psedog; 01-14-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a reply to nfsp :)
Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^Wait... are you talking about these wheels?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^yea I wouldn't time attack those wheels

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Back in SD**

Yep those wheels. I wanted to see if they had black to kind of match the black paint on the wheels. Plus I want a little protection. I plan on getting some Akebonos and I'm going to paint the calipers. Figured I could go with a colored strip then to match the calipers and see how it looks. Right now a color would look bad since I currently have a monochrome look

Old 01-14-2010, 12:36 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^But I really like the "monochrome" look you have going right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: taillight tints