G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Stock 2006 G35x sedan 0-60 and 1/4 times?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by quorum
uh thanks, but no thanks to the pontificating. A man who loves his car, knows his car. I don't need to be lectured about the right or wrong car to do a 1/4 mile, I just need to know the stats, and I don't like my threads hijacked by well-meaning preachers. Thanks!

I love my car. I custom ordered it new with basically every option, waited 90 days for it to ship over. Didn't let the dealer even touch the paint when it arrived and didn't let them put a plate on the front or drill holes. I've done all the work on my G myself and have the factory service manuals (which I highly recommend you get) which is about as much info as you could ever want about the car.

I was even hanging out on this board awhile before my car was even ordered. I don't have a high post count, nor do I care about that.. but I do try to be helpful and post stuff from the FSM whenever I can to help other members. Again, welcome to the board... wasn't trying to make enemies of you man.

My only point is.. of all the things there is to know about this car, the 0-60 or 1/4 times are extremely low on my list of facts that are important (in my opinion). I have autox'd my car also, so it's not like I don't care about the sporting aspects of this car. I drive a lowered and fairly stiff suspension-ed G in Iowa for gods sake.. not the smoothest roads. It was just a comment.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! Knowing the potential of my car just makes me feel good inside. I don't have the inkling to go down the track to do it myself, nor the skill for that matter, but it's nice to know what my car can do.

DOMO (not sure what this smiley is for, but I like it).

Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I never bought my car to race either. I just wanted a sporty commuter car. But i found myself at the track one day watching my friends race with my project car sitting at home...so i said what the hell and made 15 passes

I learned a long time ago to stop chasing that extra 0.1 seconds of time shaved off and just enjoy the damn car

Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for bragging rights to tell your honda buddies.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I learned a long time ago to stop chasing that extra 0.1 seconds of time shaved off and just enjoy the damn car
Perfectly said.

The car is plenty fast enough for what it is and what it costs, so hopefully the buyer is not expecting a corvette killer.

The weight of any given G35X can fluctuate pretty significantly, depending on whether it is a base model vs. fully loaded w/spare tire, and how much gas is in the tank.

I haven't timed mine, but assuming your motor putting out all its ponies, I'd estimate it between 6 and 6.5 seconds depending on weight, which can fluctuate big time.

A G35X base model (3650lbs) without its spare and a near-empty tank will weigh 3500lbs.

A G35X optioned out with a spare (30lbs), reclining rear seats (50lbs?), Navi system (40lbs?), full tank of gas (120lbs), sunroof, splash guards, etc. and you're over 3900lbs.

Same model, 400 pound swing.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mikek46

A G35X optioned out with a spare (30lbs), reclining rear seats (50lbs?), Navi system (40lbs?), full tank of gas (120lbs), sunroof, splash guards, etc. and you're over 3900lbs.

Same model, 400 pound swing.
You think having recline seats is 50 more pounds? that seems extreme for a hinge stuck in there.

What is the nav made out of? granite? its a screen, some wire and a unit in the upper glove box.. not much to it.

I'm not arguing that my car is light... its the G35x anti-superleggera I also have the rear spoiler

The one thing I am pretty insistent on is keeping my 17" wheels. I don't like the way oversized wheels feel on a car. plus it makes the car pretty low.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Konsole
You think having recline seats is 50 more pounds? that seems extreme for a hinge stuck in there.

What is the nav made out of? granite? its a screen, some wire and a unit in the upper glove box.. not much to it.

I'm not arguing that my car is light... its the G35x anti-superleggera I also have the rear spoiler

The one thing I am pretty insistent on is keeping my 17" wheels. I don't like the way oversized wheels feel on a car. plus it makes the car pretty low.
I don't know if its as much as 50lb, but i'm sure it's just more than the weight of a hinge. The hardware to allow the seats to move through that range of motor definitely weighs a decent amount.

The Navi is also not just a screen. You're forgetting the mechanism that raises and lowers it, the DVD reader in the glovebox, the 8 speaker Bose system with in-dash 6cd changer and amp, the sub, and all the extra wiring and electronics that ties everything together. 40lbs is probably an underestimate. Electronics, especially those encased in metal, weigh a lot.

Your aero package adds additional poundage as well. I'm thinking about pulling my spare tire out though. That's 32lbs in my pocket

Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i think car & driver measured 0-60 at 5.9sec

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
And if you start doing that, you might as well keep going.

I find it humorous when i pull up to someone on the street with a gutted interior. Usually it's some stock car with wheels and a fart can and no interior...and the kids driving with his g/f who is usually some cute girl too.

That's just no way to drive a car IMHO.

Like i said before, chasing that extra 0.1 is just not worth it to me if it's not a dedicated track car. I've cut down on my trips to the track in my Mustang to the point where i am putting the A/C back in, and reinstalling power steering. I'd rather have those creature comforts when i go for a nice ride down the beach in the car over bragging rights by beating somone by half a fender at the track where there are plenty of people much faster than me.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by acr
i think car & driver measured 0-60 at 5.9sec
Yes...in a rear-drive G35 sedan with the 6-speed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...iti_g35_page_8

Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
And if you start doing that, you might as well keep going.

I find it humorous when i pull up to someone on the street with a gutted interior. Usually it's some stock car with wheels and a fart can and no interior...and the kids driving with his g/f who is usually some cute girl too.

That's just no way to drive a car IMHO.

Like i said before, chasing that extra 0.1 is just not worth it to me if it's not a dedicated track car. I've cut down on my trips to the track in my Mustang to the point where i am putting the A/C back in, and reinstalling power steering. I'd rather have those creature comforts when i go for a nice ride down the beach in the car over bragging rights by beating somone by half a fender at the track where there are plenty of people much faster than me.
I'm definitely in agreement. Although at least removing weight is a wiser choice than adding fart cans and chrome wheels that weigh 40lbs a piece. After all, removing weight improves not only acceleration but handling and fuel economy as well.

If you haven't yet seen this article, I highly recommend it. Note the 0-60 times below.

"How to get your econobox into the 14's"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

Curb Weight: 2,762 lbs
1/4 Mile:16.3 @ 84.0 mph
60-foot:2.9 sec.
0-60 mph:8.6 sec.

Curb Weight:1,674 lbs
1/4 Mile:14.3 @ 93.2 mph
60-foot:2.6 sec.
0-60 mph:5.8 sec.

Last edited by mikek46; 01-15-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Lol i remember that article!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by quorum
DOMO (not sure what this smiley is for, but I like it).
"Domo" is Japanese for 'Thanks' and also the name of the character depicted in the smiley

Originally Posted by 4DGS
Sounds like you're looking for bragging rights to tell your honda buddies.
^

...The Navi is also not just a screen. You're forgetting the mechanism that raises and lowers it, the DVD reader in the glovebox, the 8 speaker Bose system with in-dash 6cd changer and amp, the sub, and all the extra wiring and electronics that ties everything together. 40lbs is probably an underestimate. Electronics, especially those encased in metal, weigh a lot.
I thought they all had the 6cd changer, 8 speakers and sub? my 03 sedan does, and it's almost base

Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes...in a rear-drive G35 sedan with the 6-speed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...iti_g35_page_8
nope, it was a G35x. Not positive that it was car and driver though. I have the magazine somewhere, could be hard to find though. I think I have every issue of C&D, Motor Trend, and R&T since 2003

Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by acr
nope, it was a G35x. Not positive that it was car and driver though. I have the magazine somewhere, could be hard to find though. I think I have every issue of C&D, Motor Trend, and R&T since 2003
Yes your right it was a G35X and it was in road&track- I have the issue myself but here is the online article.......0-60 is 5.9 with the 1/4 being 14.4 @96.5 mph.....
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...ti_g35x_page_3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock 2006 G35x sedan 0-60 and 1/4 times?