G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Oil Consumption, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got an 05 6mt and love it. no signs at all of any oil consumption. 56k on the car with the stock engine too. warranty til 100k on mine as well.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I've been on this forum and my350Z for 6 years now. I wouldn't touch a Rev-Up with a 10-foot pole. Take a look around at all the people that mod and race thier RevUp G and Zs and take note of how of them are on thier 2nd or 3rd motors.

The chances of you getting the motor replaced under warranty are about nill unless the car that oil change records from day one. As for out of pocket costs to replace the short block, you're looking at around $3,000-3,500.

Other issues to consider with the 6MT are the weak clutch and weak syncros. The 6MT issues and it's general driveability were what steered me away from purchasing a 6MT.

As for your Outback burning oil, you better make sure it doesn't have the head gasket issue that afflicts a majority of the 2.5 DOHC "Phase I" Legacy GTs/Outacks from 1996 through 1998.
Had the head gaskets replaced 20k miles ago. My sister and her fiance only do Subarus, have worked at 2 dealers, and say the onyl way to fix the oil burning problem is by tearing the engine down and fixing something. Not going to do that.
Originally Posted by Gnightsedan
I would have no fear. I bought my car with one previous owner, knowing if there was a oil consumption problem he wouldnt have kept the car for 40k miles. I love my car and the 6 spd is a joy to row through, but since you already have a g35 I can say I would recommend trying something else. The subaru 06+ STI is a wonderful daily driver that will leaving you smiling everytime you drive it. You just have to deal with its exterior styling. Otherwise I would also try a 06+ BMW 330. That car is an excellent driver's car, without sacrificing anything.
I don't want a Subaru. Insurance is expensive, they have more squeeks and rattles then my G, i cant get a sunroof, stereo sucks, etc. Just not my kind of car.

BMWs are too expensive.

I might just keep my eyes peeled until July/August when i actually sell and see if i can find an 07 G sedan for a good price. Those dont have the oil problems like the 05-06s it seems. Damn shame though. I love the first gen body style

Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Janik, have you thought about getting a 2nd car just as a beater? It's been just over a year since I've driven a manual (My exTrans-Am) and I really miss it a lot. I've been looking around at 240s z31 body 300s and some older imprezas just to have something entertaining. Driving my friends' 160 HP impreza and NA 88 300zx taught me that you don't have to have loads of power to have a car that's fun to drive. A manual transmission, stiff suspension and tires that bite can go a long way toward making a car fun to drive. I would imagine your G will probably last you quite a long time, so why get rid of it? Just my random .02

Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Yo dont worry much man. Just keep checking your oil every friday and just make sure its leveled. I have an 03 sedan 6mt, which i mostly use on weekends and it burns a little over a quart every 900 miles. It runs great, but i always make sure the oil is leveled. Im going to try some sea foam and see how it works out lol.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Props to you Dave for knowing about the early EJ25 head gasket problem. You earn a +1 in my eyes (I know you probably don't give two flips over what I think )

Last edited by NFSP G35; 01-24-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsp1
It's been just over a year since I've driven a manual (My exTrans-Am) and I really miss it a lot.

It's been 4 months since i've driven a stick and I miss it too. I've driven nothing but manuals since i was 16, so the G was my first auto car.

Do i regret it? Nope...because if i want to bang gears i take my Mustang out for a spin.

I roll my eyes at the "real men drive stick" comments you hear once in a while. Most people who drive stick can't even do it properly and in a racing situation, suck ***. Trust me i've seen many at the track screw up and run slower than comparable automatics. Does it take more skill to drive a stick? Yes. Do many people think they have the skill? Yes. Do they? Nope.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
? = 2B || !2B

^+10000000
I only drove a stick for the year and a half I had the TA, but I learned a LOT from my Dad and friends that are (mostly) very good. I know exactly what you're talking about I've rode along with plenty of people who drive stick and think they're good at it and really suck. I never brag to anyone, 99% of people who brag about driving a stick are the ones who suck at it.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts
I kinda wish my g was a 6spd but i have a 5spd prelude as a dd and it fun not fast but fun. I hate when i get stuck in traffic in the prelude cuz of having to use the clutch but is fun. I just use the g on the wknds and its so much easier to drive and the power compared to the lude is great.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like to believe that all I will drive is manuals for the rest of my life, but I know with the new technology double clutch automatics are going to rule the sports car segment.
I've been dying to race a g35 auto, to see how my clutch stacks up against it.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I thought I would too...but my G/F has a killer set of legs, so i like putting my hand on her inside thigh when i drive more than shifting

Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I thought I would too...but my G/F has a killer set of legs, so i like putting my hand on her inside thigh when i drive more than shifting
Thats gay as ****, i drive my manual transmission and get road head, its better and doesn't take away from the driving experience like putting your hand on a thigh does

Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsp1
Janik, have you thought about getting a 2nd car just as a beater? It's been just over a year since I've driven a manual (My exTrans-Am) and I really miss it a lot. I've been looking around at 240s z31 body 300s and some older imprezas just to have something entertaining. Driving my friends' 160 HP impreza and NA 88 300zx taught me that you don't have to have loads of power to have a car that's fun to drive. A manual transmission, stiff suspension and tires that bite can go a long way toward making a car fun to drive. I would imagine your G will probably last you quite a long time, so why get rid of it? Just my random .02
I wanted a second car, but my dad wont do it. We already have like 6 cars in our driveway. Plus he doesnt like old cars that are always breaking, so that was out the window.

Need to stick with one car. I love my car. It works perfect for everything i do, i just wish i was a manual. I drove a manual Mini Cooper S last night with a 5spd, and every time i drive my friends VW GTI i just have so much more fun.

Im not inexperienced with a clutch either. I dont burn them like you think.

Driven a few manual Gs and they are just so much more involving it seems. Faster too..

Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I wanted a second car, but my dad wont do it. We already have like 6 cars in our driveway. Plus he doesnt like old cars that are always breaking, so that was out the window.

Need to stick with one car. I love my car. It works perfect for everything i do, i just wish i was a manual. I drove a manual Mini Cooper S last night with a 5spd, and every time i drive my friends VW GTI i just have so much more fun.

Im not inexperienced with a clutch either. I dont burn them like you think.

Driven a few manual Gs and they are just so much more involving it seems. Faster too..
Make no mistake, you will enjoy the clutch so much much more. You will never regret the decision nor will you ever want to drive automatic again

Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aHomo4Eternity
why the hell are people so damn afraid to buy a ****ing rev-up 6MT?

not every rev-up has oil burning problems
I just picked up a rev-up 6MT G35 yesterday, and I'm terrified of oil consumption. Will keep an eye on oil leve and probably get it tested before warranty expires late next year.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by iTzTeddy
Janik you're going to need a new forum name instead of wannabe6mt if u get a 6spd
yea then he will be wannabe5at

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption, how bad is it?