G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Increasing MPG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeBruce

I may also try different brands/grades of gas. I've read that different oil companies' blends have more/less btus due to the grade of crude they start with. Does anyone know if there is a website that tracks this info?
You're right. Back in the day when I could afford to buy brand name gas, I always got better milage with AMACO premium. They had unleaded before anyone else. They were taken over by BP. Don't know if their gas is still as good as it used to be. They pulled out of CT many years ago.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've read that different oil companies' blends have more/less btus due to the grade of crude they start with.
There is no way to tell at the pump where the gasoline came from. Even if you buy gas at an Exxon station, that gas or the oil it came from may not have come from an Exxon oil well. The gas in the distribution pipelines is all the same spec, then the brands add their additive packages before distributing to a local area.

Ethanol has less energy than gas, so you will get less MPG when using gas with ethanol.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energyexpla...gasoline_where

Old 02-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sick4dr
The z-tube to me is a very good upgrade. i was averaging 300/tank. after the z-tube i began to average 380 and was very suprised.
I find this impossible. I've run both the Z-tube for 4 years and then swapped back to the OEM G-tube. Absolutely no change in city or highway MPGs.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Well, thanks everyone for the excellent comments and suggestions. Based on your advice, I think I have an idea of some of my next actions:

1) Not buy a Prius
2) Change/upgrade my spark plugs
3) Check/replace my air filter - possibly with K&N
4) Change my oil with Mobile 1 High Mileage full synthetic and a K&N oil filter
5) Check my tire pressure
6) Clean my MAF
7) Get air/fuel ratio tuned
8) Take granny driving lessons
3) Do not get a K&N filter. Just buy an OEM paper filter or NAPA Gold filter (basically the same thing) and replace them often. Nissan MAF sensors are flaky and residual oil from the K&N can collect of the MAF elements over time. There is no performance benefit of a serviceable filter.

7) You can't "tune" the air/fuel ratio unless you plan on buying some sort of engine management system. Replacing the plugs, cleaning the MAF, replacing the air filter, etc can fix the air/fuel ratio, if there's a problem. The only "tuning" a Nissan tech can do to the engine computer is advance the timing by 2 degrees.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Changing tire size will affect gas mileage to a degree but that is based on your average speed. If you do a lot of HWY driving then taller tires will net you better fuel economy. If you do a lot of city driving, well, shorter tires might just give you better economy. Its all relative to how you drive, speeds, etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VQEric
OP, I think we're on the same page. I'm not "worried" about gas mileage, but I do want the engine to operate as efficiently as it was designed. I just bought my 03 a few weeks ago and averaged 19.5mpg on the first 3 tanks and that's after a new K&N air filter and a MAF cleaning.

But since you're high mileage like me (I'm at 109K), I'll emphasize checking the spark plugs. Just changed mine this weekend and they were definitely the originals. Gap looked nearly double vs the new ones. Went with the NGK iridiums since the price diff from NGK plats was nominal. Not through the first full tank yet with the new plugs, but I can already tell that I'm going to get more miles at the checkpoints on the gauge. I'm estimating an extra 2 to 3 mpg at this point. I've been running BP 93 the whole time, so that's a constant.
I just bought an 04 with 147k and the first fill up went really quick. So this morning I checked the plugs, and there were twice the gap on them. So I agree check your plugs.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I find this impossible. I've run both the Z-tube for 4 years and then swapped back to the OEM G-tube. Absolutely no change in city or highway MPGs.
why would i lie? i did realize this and i have been gettin this consistently. the only other change i made is suspention and tires....hmmm.. it may have been tires but idk. Just tellin you my experience with my vehicle. But Daveb you have a non revUp could the z-tube affect ur vehicle differently.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
There are really way too many variables to really determine real-world fuel economy. You kinda goota take such claims with a grain of salt. Simple filling up at a different pump can hange your numbers because the pump shutoff when full may not be the same as other pumps. Also, nobody drives exactly the same route every day with same weather conditions (hills and tailwinds can help drastically) then it's tough to really claim a 1-2 MPG increase. You could be in a mellow mood one day, and an angry mood the next and that could make a difference too. I can see that much of a difference if it's been a rainy week simply because my driving habits have changed due to the weather.

With the HUGE push for automakers to make more fuel efficient vehicles, i seriously doubt their engineers would leave much off the table if they can gain some efficiency here and there.....especially with CAFE mandating what? 35MPG fleet average in 6 or 7 years?

I realize HP sells cars, and sometimes making these high HP engines fuel efficient has it's trade offs, but sometimes on the internet it's just hilarious to read some of the claims people make with no scientific evidence to back it up...other than doing simple division at the pump. Not pointing out anyone's claims here in specific, but like i said. You sometimes need to take these claims of 1-2 MPG here and there with a grain of salt because there are just way too many variables to say mod x gained y MPG. There isn't exactly a dyno you can strap your car to and get a number for that sort of thing