G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Remote Starter Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter Question

i did a quick search, but didn't see any specific threads devoted to this subject, so here we are.

i recently bought a used 2006 G-coupe from a non-Infiniti dealer; consequently there wasn't a heck of a whole lot of specific information the salesman could tell me about the car. when i came to the dealership to actually take delivery, the salesguy had discovered the car had a remote start installed & showed me how to activate it, but could give me no other info/instruction on using it.

so my question(s) are:

- was this (remote start) a standard dealer-installed option on new G's in 2006?

- if so, can anybody give me some info on how to use it, besides just starting the car?

- and do u HAVE to turn the car off (from activating by remote start) to transition to the car's i-key? that's what my co-worker says u have to do.

here's the remote start fob:

thx for any info provided...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the "cs" tells me that is probably a crime stopper system

Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Do the other features work? I.e. lock, unlock and trunk pop (press and hold until it does). For the remote start take over you might need to push the power button in the car twice and then hit the foot brake.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like a Compustar to meand its def not standard. I have the same one as a backup for the LCD FOB. Depending on how it was installed the buttom under the unlock sysmbol starts and stops the car. You have to hold it down for about 2 secs. After remote start the car runs from 15 minutes then turns off. Once again the run-time is programmable by the installer. The other buttons are self explanatory. If you need anymore info get back at me. Good lucj

Last edited by JustinG; 02-07-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I think any factory FOB would have the Infiniti logo plastered all over it. I would put my money on that being aftermarket. Does it have anti-theft too, or is it just remote start?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
cool, thanks all...i'll have to fiddle around with it next time i get a chance; couple other sources indicate that u can drive off w/o restarting the car as long as u don't touch the brake pedal while the remote start is in control.

i thought maybe this had been installed by the Infiniti dealer at the initial sale, since i was offered one from my Nissan dealer when i bought my Maxima years ago; Nissan dealer tried to push the remote starter, LoJack, CD changer, and the dreaded "rust proofing" on me when i was buying my Maxima...each item being $600 apiece...craziness.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dacket84
I think any factory FOB would have the Infiniti logo plastered all over it. I would put my money on that being aftermarket. Does it have anti-theft too, or is it just remote start?
it's def not a factory (Infiniti) item, but i've never heard of any manufacturer that offers/offered a remote start from the factory.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by SuperChris
it's def not a factory (Infiniti) item, but i've never heard of any manufacturer that offers/offered a remote start from the factory.
I thought Ford did with some of their cars. I think it was an add on option used with the factory FOB. I don't think it was very good though. I could be wrong...

Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dacket84
I thought Ford did with some of their cars. I think it was an add on option used with the factory FOB. I don't think it was very good though. I could be wrong...
gm also offered it on all their lines from factory.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by erklep
gm also offered it on all their lines from factory.
damn, didn't know that...

Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperChris
couple other sources indicate that u can drive off w/o restarting the car as long as u don't touch the brake pedal while the remote start is in control..

You can, but you won't be able to shift out of Park without putting your foot on the brake.

A lot of remote starts are wired to the brake pedal as a kill. Tap the brake and the system shuts the engine off. A lot of 80's cars did not have brake interlocks to the automatic, so you could shift out of park and into drive without even putting your foot on the brake. So you could drive around with the remote start functioning...but as soon as you hit the brakes down the street, the car would shut off.

One of the reasons i never put a remote start on my car yet is because I'm not sure of the interaction of the I-key with the remote start. Ideally i want it all on 1 remote, but apparently you can't do that. I wish there was a way to install an aftermarket system and have it activate off the panic button switch on the factory fob. That would prob require some reprogramming though. I guess i'll keep walking out to my car 10 mins before i leave and starting it up.

One thing about the i-key as well. You can start the car, go back into your house, leave your i-key on the counter, get back in the car and drive off. You can drive all day with the key at home once started, but as soon as you turn it off you are screwed. I kinda hate this because I wish the engine would shut off if you hit the brake and the i-key is out of the car. Would just seem like a more secure setup.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
As a Christmas present from my gf I actually just got this brand (CompuStar) remote starter installed yesterday. I actually love it and I feel very secure with the car running because there is NO way anyone can just drive off with it since there is no i-key. Once you press the brake to go into Drive the car shuts off. Plus once you press the brake the car searches for the key before switching over to normal mode.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Actually Ford and Gm and some other dealerships have been offering 'factory' remote starts for years. When I moved back up here from Richmond, I worked for a company that serviced a few dealerships in the northern virginia and maryland area. I would go to the dealer, hit up the person was in charge of upgrades, get the keys and paperwork. I would then go to the parts deparment and pick up the parts needed. At the ford dealer, they were crimestopper systems that came in boxed plastered in ford parts stickers. At the chevy dealers, they were dei(viper) systems, no repackaging. Do the job(s), show the person in charge how and that it did work, move to the next dealer. During the height of busy season, I would have 3-4 explorers and 2-3 expeditions lined up in a row and work on them like an assembley line. This was outside in ANY weather: downpours, snow, blazing heat.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
I have a remote start installed... if i insert the key, then switch it over to "on", and then press the brake, its good to go. If you go past the "on" you get a nasty grinding noise from the starter engaging a motor that is already turning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Question