G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

infiniti consumer affairs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infiniti consumer affairs?

Ok so my engine went bad on my 03 g35. yesterday i spoke to the dealer who wanted oil change history.

I bought my car used at 20k miles and right now its at almost 70k.

the problem is infiniti has no records of the first 20k miles and I dont either as i didnt own the car then. the dealer was really nice and said since i had a complete history for the period that i owned the car i should call infiniti consumer affairs and let them know i bought the car used.

my question is should I do this or do you guys think it wont be a problem?

also if anyone had a similar issue with a used car please let me know the outcome.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
What is your mileage..??? Exactly.. If you have 70,001 miles, don't bother. If you have 69,999.9 or less, wouldn't hurt to try..

But it is an 03... The powertrain warranty is 6yr/70,000mi.
I think u may be screwed, depending on what your first day of service was,(the day it was bought)..

In any instance, doesn't hurt to try.. Like my dad always told me."You have nothing to lose and everything to gain."

good luck.!!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I forgot to say in my post but I have an extended warrenty so my car should be fully covered for another year.

my main question is can infiniti deny me service for not have records of the first 20k even if I didnt own the car at that time.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Look if you have an extended warranty that covers the engine there should absolutely no reason why they shouldnt fix the problem.
What was wrong with the engine?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Where did you get the extended warranty from..? The dealer or 3rd party.? If you bought the car used at the dealer with an extended warranty, you should have no trouble at all.. If you bought it at Joe car sales and they sold you an extended warranty, you may have issues.. Please be clear about all your information if you want or need help.. We try and help each other in the forum with information, but if you don't disclose all your info, it becomes frustrating..

Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Sorry, I bought the car straight from the first owner at 20k miles. Ever since I bought it I did all the major work at dealer (went to smaller places for oil changes and such). The extended warrenty I have is the one the infiniti dealer sells for more than $2000 right when your cars original warrenty expires.

Edit: the problem was I started hearing a knocking noise in the engine. took it in and they said it needed to be replaced.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Okay.. So "YOU" bought the warranty when the original warranty was up..? Or.. The original owner bought it at time of purchase and tranferred it over to you?? Still trying to figure this out for you.. If you bought it through them, you shouldn't have a problem .. They cannot sell u a warranty and not honor it.. If it was a warranty the original owner bought and transferred, you still shoulnt have a problem.. A lil more info please.. I think you should call riverside Infiniti and ask them a couple questions..

Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I bought the warrenty about 15k miles ago.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:59 PM
sorry man.. i can't help you if you don't give the info..

you bought the warranty about 15k miles ago..? from who..? from where..? how much..? what does it say it covers..?

if you go into the dentist because you have a toothache... do you open your mouth and say your tooth hurts, fix it..?

NO..!!

you go in.. tell the dentist your tooth hurts, when it started hurting, what causes it to hurt, (cold or hot water or when eating), how long it has been hurting...etc..etc... you cant come in here and ask for help if you don't have ur facts straight...

good luck bro. hope it all works out..

Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
sorry man.. i can't help you if you don't give the info..

you bought the warranty about 15k miles ago..? from who..? from where..? how much..? what does it say it covers..?

if you go into the dentist because you have a toothache... do you open your mouth and say your tooth hurts, fix it..?

NO..!!

you go in.. tell the dentist your tooth hurts, when it started hurting, what causes it to hurt, (cold or hot water or when eating), how long it has been hurting...etc..etc... you cant come in here and ask for help if you don't have ur facts straight...

good luck bro. hope it all works out..

Are you serious? I answered everything you need to know already and now you're starting the question over? scroll up and reread my posts.

I said

1. Its the extended warrenty the INFINITI DEALER sells. so its basically the same warrenty that came with the car but exended.

2. I bought the warrenty straight from infiniti.

3. It cost me more than $2000.

4. its good for another year.

I'm really not sure how much more info you need. I already gave you all you asked for and more. At this point it seems like you're just trying to troll this post.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
I really need info today guys. Should I just wait for my dealer to hear back from infiniti about the new engine. or should I call infiniti consumer affairs and tell them I bought the car used for dont have the service history before 30k.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The previous history shouldn't really make a difference in this case. The dealer just would like a complete maintenance history because that makes the decision easy for them and you. The first 20K of maintenance is would just have been oil changes so just have them drop the oil pan and confirm there is no sludge in the pan. That should prove the engine oil was changed regulary and you should get a new engine. What went wrong with the engine btw?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
The previous history shouldn't really make a difference in this case. The dealer just would like a complete maintenance history because that makes the decision easy for them and you. The first 20K of maintenance is would just have been oil changes so just have them drop the oil pan and confirm there is no sludge in the pan. That should prove the engine oil was changed regulary and you should get a new engine. What went wrong with the engine btw?
I really dont know. I started my car and there was a knocking. took it to the dealer and they said I need a new engine.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Unfortunately, you're pretty much screwed unless Nissan has had a change of heart. This is the dangerous part of buying used and is why if you're buying used, you must do your due diligence. Prior to making the purchase, you need to verify that adequate records exist for oil changes. Without them, Nissan will almost never warranty mechanical engine troubles. The dealership is covering their butt because Nissan is the one that will reimburse them for the work. If the dealership accepts the work without proper documentation, they will doing the work on their own dime and stand to loose about $6,000. You have nothing to loose persuing this with Nissan, but I'm afraid you're not going to get very far.

I'd be prepared to start searching for used low mileage VQ35 motors for $1,000 and have it installed for $1,500. It would be cheaper that way.

I'd also cancel the extended warranty. You will get a prorated dollar amount back.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like DaveB and I have totally opposite advice. You should still see if the dealership recorded the cause of the engine failure. And if they don't know, find out. Really the only way Nissan has a shot of negating your warranty is if the engine is sludged. Well that, and running your engine with little to no oil in it. Good luck. Comments DaveB?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: infiniti consumer affairs?