G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New member/owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member/owner

Hey guys, proud new owner of an 06 G35x. Its diamond graphite with black interior. It has the premium package with the stock nav and the 6cd Bose and reclining rear seats. Coming from a 2000 Lincoln LS v8 Sport, this is a nice change/upgrade. I'm really looking forward to the reliability of these cars.
New member/owner-img_0211.jpg

I found it on Autotrader just west of Chicago, drove 2.5 hours to pick it up. Took me about 4 hours at the Infiniti dealership to get it, didn't have any problems, they were just really slow.
First thing I did when I got it home is take all the dealership stickers/emblems and other crap off the car. (I feel like its advertising and I don't really like that)
Now one of their emblems that was on the trunk left some sticky crap on, was wondering if anybody had any good tips for removing it without harming the paint.
New member/owner-img_0212.jpg

I could scratch at it with my fingernail for about 3 hours, but I just don't have the time for that lol

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being a part of this community!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Goo gone. Spray it on and let it soak for a few hours. Come back and try to remove it. A nice warm sunny day makes it a lot easier as well.

Congrats on the car. I've had mine over a year and still love it like it was day 1.

Also, a claybar might help remove the marks from where the front plate holder was installed if you choose to run plateless up front. Hopefully the factory tow hook cover is still somewhere in the car. I found mine in my spare tire well

Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Goo gone. Spray it on and let it soak for a few hours. Come back and try to remove it. A nice warm sunny day makes it a lot easier as well.

Congrats on the car. I've had mine over a year and still love it like it was day 1.

Also, a claybar might help remove the marks from where the front plate holder was installed if you choose to run plateless up front. Hopefully the factory tow hook cover is still somewhere in the car. I found mine in my spare tire well
Great advice, and thanks. I don't think it came with cover, but I also didn't think to check in the spare tire well. We don't need front plates here in Indiana, so I took it off, with the dealer ad plate as well. I also see in my last pic that I forgot the rear plate cover... those sneaky bastards lol

Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, i hated that crap too. Had a dealer sticker and two plate covers on my car. The irony is plate frams are illegal in MA, and yet they stuck 2 on.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I bought mine used from an infiniti dealer and they gave me a nifty plate cover with infiniti emblems on it. It only says Guelph infiniti really small in the corner.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
My Infiniti dealer does plate frames as well. The Chevy dealer i bought my car at had a nice big ugly white emblem on it and tore that **** off that afternoon.

Get some 3M adhesive remover and just go to town. Takes too seconds.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by Dacket84
...Now one of their emblems that was on the trunk left some sticky crap on, was wondering if anybody had any good tips for removing it without harming the paint....
WD-40... no joke.

I was a little scared to do this the first time my friend recommend it, but once I tried it I was sold.

Once you're done, wash, claybar and wax

Also, welcome to G35Driver

Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 PM
WD-40 does work. I've done it before. In fact, it's how i removed emblems. WD-40 + floss.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Awesome, I have some WD-40 here, and floss lol. I'll try it right before I was my car again. Thanks guys!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
You can use a Hair dryer to heat it up.

Remember to wash the WD-40 off and not leave it on your paint. Also never use your nail on your car, it will severely scratch it :P

Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! Beautiful color. Looks like Indiana plates? That's where I live permanently!

The Goo-Gone, WD-40, and all that works. Just be sure when you have a solvent on the paint NOT to scratch it with anything. I made this mistake and had to buff it out :-/

Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
You can use a Hair dryer to heat it up.

Remember to wash the WD-40 off and not leave it on your paint. Also never use your nail on your car, it will severely scratch it :P
Good idea lol I don't think my fingernail is hard enough to damage the paint, but then again I guess I never really tried to damage car paint with my fingernail haha

Originally Posted by TehG35
Congrats on the new purchase! Beautiful color. Looks like Indiana plates? That's where I live permanently!

The Goo-Gone, WD-40, and all that works. Just be sure when you have a solvent on the paint NOT to scratch it with anything. I made this mistake and had to buff it out :-/

Thank you! Yes I'm in Indiana.. Elkhart area. Had to get the X for all that lake effect snow we get here lol. Also, how do you suppose I remove the adhesive without scratching the paint? I don't know how fragile the paint will get with the solvent on it, I was really going to try the floss idea. I don't think it would harm the paint that much.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dacket84
Thank you! Yes I'm in Indiana.. Elkhart area. Had to get the X for all that lake effect snow we get here lol. Also, how do you suppose I remove the adhesive without scratching the paint? I don't know how fragile the paint will get with the solvent on it, I was really going to try the floss idea. I don't think it would harm the paint that much.
I grew up in Carmel, IN. My parents still live there, and I go to Purdue.. I'm just interning in Richmond right now. And just like other people said... the dental floss is your best bet... I was just reiterating that I originally effed up when I did my debadging and really scratched up my paint :-(

Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by TehG35
I grew up in Carmel, IN. My parents still live there, and I go to Purdue.. I'm just interning in Richmond right now. And just like other people said... the dental floss is your best bet... I was just reiterating that I originally effed up when I did my debadging and really scratched up my paint :-(
Nice, I have a couple friends who graduated from Purdue. I'll still be care full removing that crap, and I'll take a pic of it after and post it here.
I really hate it, ever time I look at the back of my car all I see is that adhesive lol. I can't wait to remove it.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For stubborn sticky residue left on paint, I would use a plastic scraper tool like the kind that comes with my George Foreman kitchen grill. No joke, I use it all the time and it does work without harming the paint. Try it out and see how it works out.

At any point, congrats on picking up the G35 and welcome to the Driver forum!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member/owner