G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

new owner - memory seat & tire questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new owner - memory seat & tire questions

Bought a '06 x sedan last week and still learning all the features. When trying to set the memory seats, the manual says an indicator light will illuminate - is that the little bump on the "1" and "2" buttons, or is the indicator light on the dash? Can't seem to get this feature to work.

If you own an x and live where it snows alot (I'm in Minnesota) - do you use 2 sets of rims and tires or just get by with all seasons?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I live in the msp area... I have to use snow tires (RWD 6MT), so I have a set of all seasons sitting in the garage. Unless I can find a set of wheel for super cheap (<$200 for a set), I'll just pay somebody to flip them for me every 6 months or so.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mannifesto
I live in the msp area... I have to use snow tires (RWD 6MT), so I have a set of all seasons sitting in the garage. Unless I can find a set of wheel for super cheap (<$200 for a set), I'll just pay somebody to flip them for me every 6 months or so.
If i didn't buy an x (awd) I'm sure I'd have snows on it already. Just curious if x owners here or in similar climates have felt the need for snows.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
to your seat question, its the light on the buttons/bump.

the manual made everything simple. i dont remember off hand.

for your tires. you can look at it both ways. depends how much you are worried about getting stuck/ driver skill and etc.

i'm running all-season now because the car came with like-new tires. When these wear out i'm going to run 2 sets, snow tires and summer tires. I dont know too many X's on here that run snow tires tho.

The following users liked this post:
mpugeda (02-03-2012)
Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
My first winter with my X i had new all-seaons, so left them on and did perfectly fine.

The next winter i bought snow tires thinking i was gonna get a set of 19's for the summer. Unfortunately that is not gonna happen now, so i need to buy a second set of tires for 1 set of rims. I may sell my snows and just go with the A/S this coming winter because for where i live and the amount of snow we get, i don't really need them that badly.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, call me a wimp. I have a set of Conti ExtremeWinter Contacs on my stock rims. I also have 235/50/17 S Drives on 7-1/2" rims for summer. The snow tires just make driving effortless in all the snow we're getting. The best part is having the confidence to stop on a slippery hill without worrying about gettin stuck. AWD is useless if you have no traction.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Bassman
OK, call me a wimp. I have a set of Conti ExtremeWinter Contacs on my stock rims. I also have 235/50/17 S Drives on 7-1/2" rims for summer. The snow tires just make driving effortless in all the snow we're getting. The best part is having the confidence to stop on a slippery hill without worrying about gettin stuck. AWD is useless if you have no traction.
Do you move the tire pressure monitor sensors from the stock rims to the 7 1/2 rims or just put up with the indicator light being on all the time?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I have TPS's in both sets of rims. So far the local Infiniti dealer has reset the system for free. I will confess that I bought an inexpensive tool ($25) to do the reset myself but I couldn't find the plug per the instuctions to access the system. It's supposed to be behind the plug that I hook my scan gauge to. I looked last fall but I didn't find it and it was too cold to be messing under the dash. So I just went back to the dealer.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Bassman
I have TPS's in both sets of rims. So far the local Infiniti dealer has reset the system for free. I will confess that I bought an inexpensive tool ($25) to do the reset myself but I couldn't find the plug per the instuctions to access the system. It's supposed to be behind the plug that I hook my scan gauge to. I looked last fall but I didn't find it and it was too cold to be messing under the dash. So I just went back to the dealer.
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you get the reset tool for $25? Tirerack wants $135!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm in MN and just bought a used set of rims with TPMS and Michelin snows. I never reset the the TPMS to read the snow rims and have noticed that the light only comes on after I drive on the highway (constant speed) for over 20 minutes or so.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Here's a link for the tool.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...p-OTC0203.html

It's for nissan/infiniti only. The Tire rack tool looks like a universal tool that you program with a computer.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
There is also this tool I found.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-tool.html

I was trying to find out if it would work on our cars but nobody was sure. I think for the most part most TPMS systems work and initialize the same. I don't think anything is Ford or Nissan specific other than getting the car in learn mode. I might buy it to try out. Only $35

Old 02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the info. After sorting through a bunch of info and reviews I think I'm going to just get some Continental ExtremeContact DWS all seasons and not have to deal with tpms at all. Still can't figure out my memory seats, at least the car is still under warantee for a couple more months so I can always resort to bringing it in and making the dealer go through setting it with me.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Yes, the bumps are the memory seat lights

Here's the procedure:

MEMORY STORAGE FUNCTION
Two positions for the driver's seat and steering column can be stored in the automatic drive positioner memory. Follow these procedures to use the memory system.
1. For vehicles equipped with automatic transmission, move the selector lever
to the P (Park) position. For vehicles equipped with manual transmission, move the shift lever to the N (Neutral) position and apply the parking brake.
2. Adjust the driver's seat and steering column to the desired positions by manually operating each adjusting switch.
3. Turn the ignition ON.
4. Push the SET switch and, within 5 seconds, push the memory switch (1 or 2) fully for at least 1 second. The indicator light for the pushed memory switch will come on and stay
on for approximately 5 seconds after pushing the switch. After the indicator light goes off, the selected positions are stored in the selected memory (1 or 2).
If a new memory is stored in the same memory switch, the previous memory will be deleted.

Linking a keyfob or Intelligent Key to a stored memory position

A keyfob or Intelligent Key can be linked to a stored memory position with the fol-
lowing procedure.
1. Follow the steps for storing a memory position.
2. While the indicator light for the memory switch being set is illumi nated for 5 seconds, push the button on the keyfob or Intelligent Key. The indicator light will blink. After the indicator light goes off, the keyfob or Intelligent Key is linked to that memory setting. With the key removed from the ignition switch, push the button on the keyfob or Intelligent Key. The driver's seat and steering wheel will move to the memorized position.

Confirming memory storage
O Turn the ignition ON and push the SET switch. If the main memory has not been stored, the indicator light will come on for approximately 0.5 seconds. When the memory has stored in position, the indicator light will stay on for approximately 5 seconds.
O If the battery cable is disconnected, or if the fuse opens, the memory will be canceled. Reset the desired position using the previous procedure.

Selecting the memorized position
1. For vehicles equipped with automatic transmission, move the selector lever
to the P (Park) position. For vehicles equipped with manual transmission, move the shift lever in the N (Neutral) position and apply the parking brake.
2. Use one of the following methods to move the driver's seat and the steering wheel.
O Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push the memory switch (1 or 2) fully for at least 1 second.
O Within 45 seconds of opening the driver's door, push the memory switch (1 or 2) fully for at least 1 second.
The driver's seat and steering column will move to the memorized position with the indicator light flashing, and then the light will stay on for approximately 5 seconds.

SYSTEM OPERATION
The automatic drive positioner system will not work or will stop operating under the
following conditions:
O when the vehicle speed is above 4 MPH (7 km/h).
O when the adjusting switch for the driver's seat and steering column is turned on while the automatic drive positioner is operating.
O when the cancel switch (if so equipped) is pushed to the CANCEL side. (However, it will not be cancelled if the switch is pushed while the seat and steering column are returning to the previous positions (entry/exit function).)
O when the memory switch 1 or 2 is not pushed and held for at least 1 second.
O when the seat has already been moved to the memorized position.
O when no seat position is stored in the memory switch.
O when the parking brake is not applied. *MT models
O when the speed is above 4 MPH (7 km/h) while the parking brake is applied. *MT models
To restart the drive positioner system, move the parking brake to off and on.
O when the front seat is folded for operating the walk-in mechanism (if so equipped).
O when the engine is started while the automatic drive positioner is operating.
O when the AT selector lever is moved from the P position to any other posi-
tion. (However, it will not be cancelled if the switch is pushed while the seat and steering column are returning to the previous positions (entry/exit function).)
O when the driver's door remains open for more than 45 seconds and the ignition switch is not in the ON position.

CANCEL SWITCH (if so equipped)
When the CANCEL side of the switch is pushed, the automatic drive positioner system will not function. When the AUTO side of the switch is pushed, the system will function.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm in MN in the Metro and have always used a decent pair of all-weather tires. I think the ones on my car are the Arizonian tires from Discount Tire. No problems in 2 winters.

TPMS question though...whenever I drive for more than approximately 45 mins freeway speeds my light comes on. I frequently check my tires so the pressure is correct. I doubt it's a temperature swing but who knows...

The light always goes off when I turn off the car (2004 G35X).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new owner - memory seat & tire questions