G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Seat Comfort

scroll back, there is a thread about a mile and a half long on how bad our seats are.

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 09-17-2004, 02:43 AM

Oky, its been a year now. My right leg is in pain because of the hard cover on the right side of the seat.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:19 PM

Here were the results from the first Seat Poll. I never saw the other poll that GeoBau is referring to. I suspect a lot of other folks missed it as well, and some others have probably already dumped their G35's due to this problem and are no longer interested in Infiniti cars. The numbers were waaaaay worse than 20-1 on the first poll. And no, the Infiniti "fix" has not taken care of the problem for me. If I didn't like the car so much in other areas (looks, performance, handling) I would have dumped it myself.

Here are the last results from the FIRST Seat Poll:

Very Comfortable....................................... ..43
Okay.............................................. ..............32
Not Comfortable but bearable.......................19
Infiniti buy the car back I can't take it.............13

This works out to 75 - 32 , or basically 30% of the people being dissatisfied with their seats.

As always - I am happy for those who have no problems with the seats, but the seats ARE a problem for a significant number of people and Infiniti has sucked *** on addressing this issue. As always, I would recommend to any potential buyer to get your hands on a used G35 and drive it for several periods of one hour or longer over several days BEFORE dropping $30,000 to $35,000 on these cars. As always - best wishes for long years of driving pleasure to those NOT affected by these poorly designed seats.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I propose that perhaps those afflicted just have poorly-designed a**es [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35s
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / XM / Tint
Z-tube, Pop-charger, Borla True-Dual Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, GroundingGear

<font color=red>B.A.S.T.A.R.D Squad</font color=red>

Old 09-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gee, I thought the dealer solved my seat problem on Day 1, when they completely flattened my wallet on the purchase (HaHa).

Seriously, I only started noticing discomfort after reading the first seat thread, but them I started noticing discomfort in other car's seats, as well (I'm a Realtor, and ride in Mercedes, Beemers, Infiniti's, Lexus, etc. often) - in fact, the bucket seats in most Mercedes are the *****, in my opinion (except the V-12 Mercedes Roadster - don't think my butt ever actually settles into the seat on that car - I just use the edge!)

I've got 10,000 miles now, and a few long trips (500-1000 miles) in there, and I've found that 1) wallet in the front pocket; 2) adjust both the seat and yourself slightly at intervals, and 3) the lumbar support DOES make a difference in the overall way you settle into the seat, too!

Good luck - hope the "G" works out for you, my friend.

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 09-20-2004, 07:07 PM

GeoBau, I would agree with you about the poor azz design except that I have never experienced ANY problems from ANY other car seat EVER. My azz ain't the problem. : )

I am glad it affects a relative few, but for those of us it does affect it kinda kills a lot of the joy of ownership.

If the RX-8 got any kind of gas mileage and had a li'l more torque down low I would be in one right now. The looks of the Caddy CTS have grown on me but it costs waaaaay more for comparable performance and will lose it's value so fast it will make your head spin. There is also my lack of trust in GM quality for the long run. There is just nothing else in this price range with comparable performance or looks to the G35 sedan. Now if they would just fix my #$%$@^&$*#^ SEAT!!

dbarnes, thanks for your kind words. I love a lot about the G's (sedan and coupe), but this seat thing is gettin' old. I just read on the other seat thread where yet another person has sold their G35 because of the seat pain problem. No telling how many more felt it during the test drives and just bought something else instead.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by GeeSpot on 09/20/04 04:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest that you search for a after-market replacement seat such as Recaro before you take a big hit of selling the car. It would be a lot cheaper for you and still keep the great car. My 0.02

2004 G35X

Old 09-24-2004, 01:35 AM

Thanks King but Recaro doesn't make seat brackets for Infinitis.....the fabrication of the brackets would cost more than the darn Recaro's.....several of us have looked into this idea before....also - I didn't pay xtra for leather, power, heated seats just to replace them. But thank you for your suggestion just the same... : )

Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
So yeah, this is a dead thread, but I noticed that Javarama shares my exact problem - or at least he did almost two years ago. Do you still have your car?

I'm 6'1", 180#, suffering from a bulging disk, and it's looking like there's not going to be any way for me to get comfortable driving my '05 Coupe.

And yeah, I've done the seat mod.

There seem to be two big issues at play (for me, at least): seat/control relationship and the shape of the seat itself.

First - the relationship between the pedals, steering wheel, and seat. The car seems to have been designed for people with apelike long arms and short legs. If I'm close enough to grip the wheel properly, my knees are on the dash. If I'm far enough back for proper legroom, I'm barely touching the top of the wheel with my fingertips. The wheel only telescopes a couple of inches, which isn't nearly enough.

I drove a loaner '05 G Sedan for 10 days or so recently, and I was astonished at how much more comfortable it was - and how much more fun it was to drive with a proper driving position! Perhaps due to a higher seat and more headroom, the ergonomics in the Sedan just make a lot more sense.

Second - seat shape and adjustment. The seatback is virtually flat from the butt to the headrest, putting the headrest SEVERAL inches behind the driver's head. There really should be only 2 or 3 inches there. The seat bottoms are absurdly short, and not supportive anyway, as any attempt to raise the front of the bottom cushion raises the back of the bottom cushion almost the same amount (the front and back don't REALLY raise and lower independently.) Thigh support sucks. My legs float above the seat, and the right one floats higher, as the pedals are much closer than the dead pedal.

I don't know how I didn't notice this on the test drive - but I guess one doesn't really notice that kind of stuff on a test drive.

I can't drive this car and enjoy it. My options now are to:
- Give it to my wife and take her Xterra. She fits fine in the car.
- Spend $4k on a pair of leather or Alcantara, Topline series Recaros. Lose the airbags.
- Nobody sells aftermarket seats in Stone, so go rice and install a mismatched aftermarket driver's seat. Lose airbags and potentially power, leather, heat, etc.
- Trade it in and take the hit.

I love this car but I'm beginning to hate it too.

badco

Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Another option is to re work the existing seats.

I'm in the middle of that very thing as we speak.
I have the controls removed & they're being relocated to the center console.
The seats go in to be reupolstered before the end of the month.

I'll have a complete write up when I'm done

Old 06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Another option is to re work the existing seats.

I'm in the middle of that very thing as we speak.
I have the controls removed & they're being relocated to the center console.
The seats go in to be reupolstered before the end of the month.

I'll have a complete write up when I'm done
Interested! Looking forward to your writeup. I would like to just rework the hip bolsters a bit (1/2 inch on either side would do wonders). Yeah, it's because of my fat A$$.

Curt

Old 06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I am happy with the seats except for side support. I thought about racing seats but they would look stupid in a sedan plus I would have to take out the headrest TV's. A close friend has a coupe and I love the seats in it. I have decided to purchase a set of coupe seats to solve my problem.
FYI- I am 5'11" 160lbs. (if anyone cares)

Old 06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
I am happy with the seats except for side support. I thought about racing seats but they would look stupid in a sedan plus I would have to take out the headrest TV's. A close friend has a coupe and I love the seats in it. I have decided to purchase a set of coupe seats to solve my problem.
FYI- I am 5'11" 160lbs. (if anyone cares)
Thought about the coupe seats too.
But then I'd still want to relocate the controls

Old 06-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
The controls don't bother me, I just need more side support for hard driving. The sedan's seats are crap for cornering support.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Thought about the coupe seats too.
But then I'd still want to relocate the controls

I beleive the coupe seats are like the 350z seats where the controls sit a lot lower on the side of the seat. With this design you don't have that metal control bracket pushing into your leg like on the sedan and pre 06' FX's

I was extreamly happy when the FX35/45 moved the seat controls for the 06' models... Soon as I saw that I traded in my G35 sedan for it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort