G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Comfort

I stumbled upon this forum as I was searching for a solution to some rather severe back pain problems I am experiencing from driving my new G35. There have been quite a few threads on this site dedicated to this topic, although most folks who find the seat uncomfortable are complaining about leg discomfort while for me it is the upper right side of the back rest causing lat pain. Although I've only owned the car two months, I think I'm going to trade it in and take the financial hit. Not real happy about it to say the least, but driving what for me amounts to a torture-mobile just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I did take the vehicle back to the dealer and they told me they had never encountered anyone complaining about back pain (they must not track sites like this). They seemed helpful and even put a new seat in the vehicle at no charge to me. But I still have the same problem. Hard to imagine my size (6' 1", 190 lbs) is too large for the vehicle.

When I test drove the car, I didn't notice any discomfort with the seat... and I loved (and still do) everything else about the G. I've owned many vehicles over the years and do not even consider seat comfort when purchasing (until now). I can't think of a single car I have ever owned or drived that I found so incredibly uncomfortable.

Compounding my own problem, a good buddy of mine also bought a G35 a couple weeks after I bought mine because he liked it so much. He is also now complaining about seat discomfort.

To the extent anyone who is considering purchasing a G reads this post I would strongly encourage them to somehow get hold of the vehicle for a week or so before purchasing. As I noted above, I absolutely love everything about the car except the driver's seat. Unfortunately for me, that means that I'm probably going to take a $5k hit.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:55 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Seat Comfort

Never heard of back pain... We did a poll re: seat discomfort a while ago, and it came out 9:1 ratio of those who liked them vs. those who were uncomfortable. After the seat fix was issued, the margin grew to something along the lines of 20:1. We've also had one very vociferous, beleaguering poster who insists on coming into any thread and posting negatively from his non-static IP, so it's hard to get a fair read.

Back pain, though, is a new one to me. It's terrible that it hurts you so much. Any thought as to why it's not bilateral? You'd think if it were a problem with the seat design, that would be the case.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35s
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / XM / Tint
<font color=blue>Z-tube, Pop-charger, Borla True-Dual Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, GroundingGear</font color=blue>

Old 09-13-2004, 05:19 AM

My mother has an Alero that gives me back pain if I drive it too long. Have had some back pain driving a Mercury Marqi too.

I bought a Honda Odyssey back in May. It's definitely not as comfortable as my G35 on long trips.

I think it's hit or miss everyone is different no matter how well they develop a seat there will always be some that are going to find it uncomfortable. That said they should move the seat switches to the side. I don't really like the placement because it tends to trap dirt

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 09-13-2004, 09:25 PM
fnt

I also have the hip/thigh discomfort, but I don't recall reading about problems with back pain.

This may sound silly, but have you tried sitting in other cars lately? It's possible that you've developed something that would be manifest in any car seat. Also, have you tried a firmer or padded backrest?

Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 PM

I had some discomfort for the first couple of months. I kept making adjustments with each part of the seat. One thing that helped is that I was sitting too straight and started playing with tilting the back, but then pivoting the whole seat. Also, I find that it is helpful to make tiny adjustments every half hour or so. I've now had the car for 2 years and find it very comfortable, even on long trips. The key for me was to keep tinkering with the adustment combinations.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 AM

your not one of the guys who drive with his seat reclined all the way back are you? If so thats your problem. Last car I owned was a 2000 prelude, and since i lacked head room I would recline my seat back to get it. Problem is I started to develope back problems. Had to sell it which sucks because I had dumped about 12k in mods into it. only had 6k miles on it also

But I bought the G35 Sedan instead and are way more happy with it. Not to mention I picked up a 350z Roadster for my fun car on the weekends. Funny the 350z roadster has more head room then my prelude...

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT - 2004 350z Roadster Black/6MT

Old 09-14-2004, 03:38 AM

Talk about discomfort, have you sat in the Ford Focus lately, I had the rental for 3 weeks and it's killing my back.

I have the sedan now for more than a month and I find the seat to be overall comfortable. The only short coming is the shortness of the thigh support. I heard some people complaint about the seat controls location too but also I have found no problem of being discomfort.
Maybe changing the seat to a aftermarket seat like Ricaro can help you while you can keep the car.

2004 G35s 6mt, Tb/willow, prem pkg, Nismo aero body kit, 3M clear bra

Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 AM
dag

Javarama - This may not be your problem but I know a lot of people that cure thier back problem by removing thier wallet.
On long trips it's the first thing I do. For me it would cause my whole right side of may back to ache.

So, if your sitting on your wallet try removing it and see if the discomfort goes away. It's worth a shot.

Just my .02 worth.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:37 PM

I went down to San Diego over Labor Day Weekend. Rented a Eclipse Spyder convertible. Was fun driving in a convertible, but it was SO slow compared to my G35c. The interior was horrendous and the seat didn't have any back support. Regarding the wallet, I notice that compared to my old Pathfinder, the wallet is more uncomfortable to keep in the pocket in the G35 than the Pathfinder so I usually slip it out partially or take it out altogether.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:15 PM
raises all-in

Who the hell still carries wallets in their back pockets? That's soooo 80's.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:36 PM

Where should we carry it?

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 PM

Nowhere! When you want to buy something, the iris scanner will ID you, then deduct the appropriate number of credits from your universe bank account.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 AM

dirrtybear carries a "man-bag" :P

Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 AM
raises all-in

Either carry it in your front pocket, or don't carry one at all. I don't. I use a money clip to hold all my necessities.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I initially got my G I also experienced lower back pain/discomfort, but after playing around with the lower lumbar support adjustment my pain/discomfort have disappeared. I had to adjust the lumbar support to be totally engaged or maximum support. I drive an hour a day in my G without any back issues now. Have you tried adjusting the lumbar support? It's located on the right side, back of the seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort