G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just test drove a 2006 G35x and...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just test drove a 2006 G35x and...

absolutely loved it! I was about to go and sign papers but was just checking things out, popped the hood and went start the car again...

it cranked but didn't start. I was like WTF? Tried to start it again, and still just cranked. The dealer said that it was due to the I-key needing programming or something like that. They said they were going to take it to an Infiniti dealership and get it checked out first thing tomorrow morning, but I want to know if they are just bull****ting me or what.

Would something like that cause the car to crank but not turn over?!?

Any help would be appreciated, I would hate to waste money on a known problem. Thanks guys,

- Matt

Old 05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
I cannot speak to the question reguarding the I-key, but I can tell you that if that happened to me, I wouldnt even be considering buying that car... Logic tells me that a small computer chip would not work intermitantly. Also, if the key is not emitting a signal, there is an actual key in the Fob. Plenty of other G's out there to chose from that wont have you thinking funny thoughts while they are still sitting on the dealer's lot

Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Thats why I'm asking, I mean this car has more electronics and bells and whistles then anything I've ever driven. This was with the actual key out of the Fob, but I was thinking my old VW wouldn't start without the chip in the Fob why would a higher-end car?

I've been looking for other G35x's, but black on black seems to be a difficult combo to come by under 20g's within 200 miles of me (according to Vehix, Cars.com, AutoTrader and any other search engine I could find.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing that bothers me about this story is that it should have stopped it from being able to crank it.

I am not an expert on the i-keys, though I have one. I have never used the actual key, although I may have checked once to see if it was the real key or a slug,figuring I would use the i-key and never notice.

I am pretty certain you couldn't even turn the ignition to try to start it if it wasn't going to work.

And if it was because of programming on the i-key, how did it work when you test drove it?

Good Luck,
Dave

Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Hope the best for you.

Blk on Blk does look good, but it's a huge pain to keep it looking good... just know that beforehand.

I can understand if you're dead-set on it though.

Welcome to the forum BTW

Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
i think the dealer is bs'ing you. when my intelligent key isnt emitting a signal, i cant even turn the ignition

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by DKatman
The thing that bothers me about this story is that it should have stopped it from being able to crank it.

I am not an expert on the i-keys, though I have one. I have never used the actual key, although I may have checked once to see if it was the real key or a slug,figuring I would use the i-key and never notice.

I am pretty certain you couldn't even turn the ignition to try to start it if it wasn't going to work.

And if it was because of programming on the i-key, how did it work when you test drove it?

Good Luck,
Dave
You can start the car with either the key out of the fob, or the fob only minus the key.

I've done both. Leave fob inside house, go outside and go into car and start it with the fob key. Will start like normal. Do the same with the fob and leave key in house and it will start too if the fob is in the car.

Both will start the car independent of each other

Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM

Good Luck,
Dave
Thanks man, and these are my questions too! I am new to the whole luxury car thing. The G is going to be my daily driver as I already have a project that takes all of my money! It'll be lucky if it gets rims and a drop.

Originally Posted by NFSP G35
Hope the best for you.
Blk on Blk does look good, but it's a huge pain to keep it looking good... just know that beforehand. I can understand if you're dead-set on it though.
Welcome to the forum BTW
Thanks,
Yeah, I am dead set on Black on black. There is a Silver on Black and a Black on Grey within 30 minutes of my house, but I drove 2 hours to look at this one because its what I want. I have no problem keeping it clean.

My project is COMPLETELY different from this scene though, I'm a Mini-Trucker, and this is my other ride...

Full custom frame from the firewall back, painted in a 3 stage Chrysler 300 Metallic

Worlds ONLY Crewcab, Longbed, bodydropped GM355 (Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon)

And well... everybody likes ***...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about anyone else on the forums, but my 2005 sedan has always had intermittent hard starting problems since day 1 even before I added any modifications. My brother's 2003 Altima 3.5SE had the same problem. It was usually independent of the temperature, but we've noticed it does happen more with hotter weather. I just accepted it. It cranks forever and ever and finally turns over, or not at all and I have to stop before something burns out. After about 5 minutes or so it will start right up.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Mine has NEVER done that.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck,
Dave
Yeah.. When I bought my car, the other keyfob, wallet key and valet came 2 months later.. That I-key keyfob was deprogrammed and the car just had the red key light on whether i put the key in the ignition or left it in the keyfob.

edit: Mine also has never had issues starting.. knock on wood

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by aznxkidz8
i think the dealer is bs'ing you. when my intelligent key isnt emitting a signal, i cant even turn the ignition
This

If the I Key is not inside the car or its not being detected, a Red key light will appear on the dash, You cant even turn the ignition into ON, let alone trying to crank the car.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Spoke with the dealer on the phone and he told me that Infiniti said that someone had previously jumped the vehicle and put positive terminal to negative terminal and vice versa (how when they are color coded I don't effing know)...

But he says the local Infiniti dealer had to replace some things but apparently everything is fine now. (Could be that caused reverse polarity, and the Battery was dead). Before I even BOTHER to go check out the car again (its 2+ hours away) I am making them fax me the paperwork and I am going to call the dealership directly and inquire about the problem and what they did to fix it.

HOPING that a new battery would fix the problem and I will pick up this bad-unit!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:00 AM
FYI, they would of had to mount the battery backwards (or installed a reversed terminal battery from what is required) as the Positive is a big ol Fuse Block in itself. These cars do require a lot to crank, but you should have been able to tell if the battery was dead as it would have started clicking and not cranking (also, make sure you get the alternator checked at any parts store if it turns out to be electrical/power related). The i-key story is BS. If won't even turn on if the i-key is not programmed. Good luck, love my 06 X.

Make sure you follow-up on the paper trail for this work. I would question EVERYTHING from here on out.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^Mine has NEVER done that.
WHS (knocks on wood)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 2006 G35x and...