Black 6 Speed MT Guzzing Gas Halp!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Try taking your foot off the gas.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Pull your plugs and give them a look. I usually get about 420-430 miles before the gas light pops up, but I've been getting steadily worse mileage and a noticeable loss in power over the past 2 months. I pulled my plugs and sure enough, the electrode has worn away to the point where it has crazy gap now. Just ordered a new set yesterday and I'll change them out this weekend.

Other things to look at:
- Tire pressure (low tires = more drag = worse mpg)
- MAF sensor (could need cleaning or replaced)
- O2 sensors (if they are mis-reading, it'll cause a rich mixture)

A failing MAF or O2 sensor will not always trigger a SES, just keep that in mind.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Rp is more suited for racing engines that are torn down frequently. It's not really suited for normal passenger cars. It's a different compound In which is is basically formulated from metal dust. (molybdenum disulfide). Stick to normal oils like castrol or mobil or amsoil.

As for your poor fuel economy. Did you make any changes to the car? How is your driving style? What rpm do you shift at?
The car is stock except for an AEM CAI. Stock exhaust and internals also....

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Coupes and Sedans have the same motor yo.

Btw to reset the ECU OP, just unhook the negative terminal on the battery hit the brake 3 times to discharge and plug it back in some people like to leave it unplugged over night. Your Radio Presets and Trip counter on the dash will be rest.

Also do you know if your car has a spacer or any mods?
No spacers or mods man. Thanks for the reset advise too. I might do that tonight when I pick up the car from the dealership. I am having fun playing with the 08 G35 that they lent me

Originally Posted by HenryLee
I mostly get 16 gallons at most in my tank. I always thought we had about a 15ish gallon tank. I know the manual says about 20gallon tank but I've driven to near empty many times and have not go anywhere close to 19 or even 18 gallons.

But the fuel guzzling is mostly from your driving style. G35's are not gas efficient cars. Got you pay to play bro.
I don't have a lead foot foo! I stated that like 3 times and I shift early and don't floor it. I have gotten way better gas mileage with the SAME driving style.

Originally Posted by socialconflicts
^ i havent heard of this either..
btw OP.. have u checked your tire pressure? this could be something.
when i had my sedan stock i would get 350+
THIS is the mileage I had a week ago. WTF? Fowled plug or fuel filter maybe?

Originally Posted by Canadian
You honestly don't need to be worrying about this man, what you are getting is normal. There is nothing wrong with your car. I'm lucky if I get to 215/tank with normal driving.

Btw we DO have 20 gallon tank. Don't ask my how I know..
DAmn. I figured that the car had a 20 gallon tank but I didn't have any specs on the car and the manual is pretty ****ty.

Originally Posted by ckkone
Where do you park your car....could some meth head be siphoning gas from you overnight? Crap what the hell am I talking about, your mileage sounds normal...
haha newb ownage... Touche touche foo!

Originally Posted by socialconflicts
lawl!!!

Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
If you drive "normal", meaning not too hard on the pedal and shifts below 2500, you should be getting anywhere from 18-19 mpg. At least that's what I get from 50/50 on streets/highway.

The gas gauge isn't incredibly accurate. So if you're getting 140-170 miles by the time it hits the half mark, I wouldn't be worried about anything being wrong.

And you won't fill up to 20 gallons unless you are running on fumes. Closest I ever got was 19.1 gallons and that was after seeing needle under the last line for over 30 miles.
Originally Posted by jwrape
I get 400+ per tank, but I shift at 4k rpms. If you are shifting over that you are running the motor hard and your mileage will show it. If you shift lower than 4k rpms you will get bette, also if you are driving in the city mostly your mileage will suck
alllllll highway driving baby. I want my 400+ per tank back yo...

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
Pull your plugs and give them a look. I usually get about 420-430 miles before the gas light pops up, but I've been getting steadily worse mileage and a noticeable loss in power over the past 2 months. I pulled my plugs and sure enough, the electrode has worn away to the point where it has crazy gap now. Just ordered a new set yesterday and I'll change them out this weekend.

Other things to look at:
- Tire pressure (low tires = more drag = worse mpg)
- MAF sensor (could need cleaning or replaced)
- O2 sensors (if they are mis-reading, it'll cause a rich mixture)

A failing MAF or O2 sensor will not always trigger a SES, just keep that in mind.

WRD. What type of plugs are you buying? Bosch? Denso??!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I bought NGK Laser Iridium IX. The part number is LFR5AIX-11.

I actually bought them on ebay; it's shipped for free and the local auto parts place wanted $65 plus tax. feeck that noise!

Here's the link to the plugs.

I do a couple of other things to get some better efficiency out of the G.

- I only put in half a tank at a time. I figure since a gallon o' gas is about 6¼ lbs, I'm carrying 62½ lbs less. Plus, a half tank lasts me a week.

- If you have navigation, bring up the fuel economy option. Make a game out of it, adapt your driving to keep the leaf as green as possible.

- If you haven't changed your tranny/diff fluid, do it. There's a few tutorials floating out around there. I did mine at 60,000 miles and saw a noticeable increase in fuel economy, NVH from the engine/trans, and better response from the engine.

I'm also toying around with the idea of making a complete undertray for the bottom of my sedan to see if it'll make a difference without it feeling floaty at highway speeds.

My personal best was an all highway trip from Chicago to Cincinnati. I got a little over 480 miles out of 16 gallons.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alllllll highway driving baby. I want my 400+ per tank back yo...
well..........., you've got something wrong. Do you still have the same power you've always had? If not maybe a cam position sensor went bad.
Possibly O2 sensors if it hasn't been mentioned yet...

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you switched gasoline brands? When Amico was still around I got my best mpg's with it. Exxon gave better throttle response but not the milage. I would guess that Exxon was lighter and vaporized faster to give better performance.
The O2 sensors regulate fuel consumption on a weight basis to get the right exhaust composition.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
I bought NGK Laser Iridium IX. The part number is LFR5AIX-11.

I actually bought them on ebay; it's shipped for free and the local auto parts place wanted $65 plus tax. feeck that noise!

Here's the link to the plugs.

I do a couple of other things to get some better efficiency out of the G.

- I only put in half a tank at a time. I figure since a gallon o' gas is about 6¼ lbs, I'm carrying 62½ lbs less. Plus, a half tank lasts me a week.

- If you have navigation, bring up the fuel economy option. Make a game out of it, adapt your driving to keep the leaf as green as possible.

- If you haven't changed your tranny/diff fluid, do it. There's a few tutorials floating out around there. I did mine at 60,000 miles and saw a noticeable increase in fuel economy, NVH from the engine/trans, and better response from the engine.

I'm also toying around with the idea of making a complete undertray for the bottom of my sedan to see if it'll make a difference without it feeling floaty at highway speeds.

My personal best was an all highway trip from Chicago to Cincinnati. I got a little over 480 miles out of 16 gallons.
Originally Posted by jwrape
well..........., you've got something wrong. Do you still have the same power you've always had? If not maybe a cam position sensor went bad.
Possibly O2 sensors if it hasn't been mentioned yet...
Power has dropped. I think that when I rev it up to 6500 the car hesitates. I think it stalled one time. I am going to test drive it from the dealership today and is what happens WOT. If the 02 sensors were bad, wouldn't the car throw and error code? I don't have a CEL on the car on right now. I don't have navigation either so no games for me... I might have to change out the tranny fluid and see if that makes a difference.

If any sensors went bad...they should have thrown an error code. The car had a full diagnostic done by the Infiniti Dealership here and nothing came up. It was a waste of $105.00. Thanks NIssan.

Originally Posted by Bassman
Have you switched gasoline brands? When Amico was still around I got my best mpg's with it. Exxon gave better throttle response but not the milage. I would guess that Exxon was lighter and vaporized faster to give better performance.
The O2 sensors regulate fuel consumption on a weight basis to get the right exhaust composition.
Hmmm I mainly use BP gas. I don't know what the best gas it. I might have to go by a different gas station again. The one that I used is not the one that I normally use.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I haven't used BP in nearly a decade; my old GTI was a turbo VR6 and didn't really like BP. I've had great luck with Marathon, Shell, and I've had the best luck with Sunoco.

Also, I'm not sure if you have these in your area, but AutoZone will do free diagnostics. All you have to do is ask for the codes, look the code up online, and it'll give you a ballpark of where to start looking.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try Chevron gas, works great for my G35....

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i get 310 miles to tank 6mt sedan

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
If you drive "normal", meaning not too hard on the pedal and shifts below 2500, you should be getting anywhere from 18-19 mpg. At least that's what I get from 50/50 on streets/highway.

The gas gauge isn't incredibly accurate. So if you're getting 140-170 miles by the time it hits the half mark, I wouldn't be worried about anything being wrong.

And you won't fill up to 20 gallons unless you are running on fumes. Closest I ever got was 19.1 gallons and that was after seeing needle under the last line for over 30 miles.
^ what he said. you still have about 5 gallons left in your tank when you're just above the 2nd to bottom line - the low fuel light turns on around then. as long as you're not driving in maniac mode (or boosted), you should see 17-19 on the street and 24-26 on the highway.

man, i wish i still got that type of mileage

Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just a few quick questions. How do I know if I have a "rev up" or not. Also, I am getting ready to change my tranny/diff fluid. Any specific brand the best that I should use?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
'05-'07 manual transmission (6MT) = revup

Old 06-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get about 400 miles/tank on my AT G35x. Check the codes and change gas stations. I did a study on gas vs. mpg and found that Sunoco worked best. I get ~23 mpg now and only about ~19mpg while running on BP gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black 6 Speed MT Guzzing Gas Halp!!!