G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

First time w/ 2WD G35: REVIEW (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: First time w/ 2WD G35: REVIEW (long)

If I hadn't already been researching, agonizing, for 4 months last year, I may have decided on the G35X. However, it was another 3 months before they would become available. Another $2000. And, more than likely, a smaller discount from MSRP right when they came out than the 5AT I bought. And since I got the 5AT at about $2000 under MSRP, it would probably have been another 3-4000 for it. And the wait once I had made the decision to buy. All for maybe a couple days a year when it would be useful. (And not needed last winter, even with a trip to Nebraska in December when the weather cooperated and was dry).

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 10-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Kevink:

Seems like, in the end, you did buy the best car for you. I did the same, and am really happy, but during a trip to Idaho in April there were a few occasions that VDC kicked in on wet, cold road situations (mainly from a takeoff), and each time a little smile crossed my face, knowing that the "X" would be so cool at that moment. But what's a couple moments over 10,000 miles ??

I know what you mean about the agonizing, too - I ordered a "G" on January 5, 2004, and waited till March, when I stumbled across the car I actually bought, on the nearest dealer's website. It was a car that was special ordered 4 months earlier, and then the buyer flaked on them, and it was exactly what I wanted. It had just arrived that morning, and I think they were afraid it would be hard to sell a fully loaded MT (??), because they sold it to me for $50 under their dealer invoice (there was an Internet buyer rebate involved, too). When I called the dealer with whom I'd placed the original order, they confirmed my (ordered) car had not even begun production. I cancelled - and bought my car !

I remember, too, that after you pull the trigger and order one, it's HELL looking at others enjoy their "G"s while you are waiting !!

Enjoy your ride - DB

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 10-04-2004, 08:04 PM

Of course, I've already had someone offer to buy my car from me whenever I tire of it.

Can't take him up on the offer yet, though. One, I haven't tired of it. Another, it will have to depreciate considerably before he can afford it (3 kids). Maybe in 5 or 6 years.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 10-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dbarnes:

As you mentioned, I got the crappy all-season tires on my 6MT because I got the full-size spare tire. I didn't really have a choice since I couldn't find a car that met my criteria late in the '04 model year.

My '03.5 6MT also had the same all-season tires because, back then, heated seats were part of the Winter package which also included all-season tires. I wanted the heated seats but not the all-season tires and just figured that I'd go with some stickier rubber when the Turanzas wore out.

2004.5 Diamond Graphite/Graphite G35 6MT Sedan
Premium Package • Navigation • Splash guards • 350Z intake duct • Stillen high-flow airbox • Underbody diffusers

Old 11-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race

Well, I had the opportunity to drive (and race..he he he) another 2WD G35, and I was pleasantly surprised.

This example was MUCH tighter than the last one; even the steering wheel felt nicer.

The VDC was much less intrusive as well as having a higher actuation threshold. Driving in the rain, foot to the floor, the car allowed MUCH more wheelspin. The revs were hovering around 5000-5500 as the car clawed for traction, swaying slightly as the Brake-LSD attempted to compensate for the lack of traction. In the X car, the slightest wheelspin is met with an acceleration-sapping reduction in power. With the VDC on, the X is by far the safest car I've eve piloted. For even moderately spirited driving, however, VDC off is a must. Then the AWD truly shines. I must say, there is nothing like a 4-wheel drift with all corners spinning furiously !!!!

I would like to take this opportunity to modify an earlier statement: I previously said that if the loaner car was my only frame of reference I would not be driving a G35. After my second experience behind the wheel of a 2WD car, I would like to recant. This loaner was, well, kind of BADASS!

W.

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

"May you lead an interesting life..." -- Old Gypsy Curse