G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

First time w/ 2WD G35: REVIEW (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 04:54 PM
|
Don't drink and Mag Race
First time w/ 2WD G35: REVIEW (long)

Well folks, the AWD G35 is in the shop for the 7500 mile svc and a few niggling issues (rocking seat, cd player). I was provided a 2004 G35 as a loaner car, and I feel compelled to comment. FYI, both the loaner and my car have approx. the same miles (6710 [me] vs 7024[loaner])

Let me begin by saying that this is the first RWD G35 that I have had the opportunity to drive. I was in the market for an AWD sedan, so my test drivers were all G35X models. My friend let me drive his, but it's an X as well.

Synopsis: If I had driven the RWD 5AT sedan initially, I would NEVER have bought the car. 6MT with the LSD is a different story, but I needed AWD.

Driving impressions:

The driving experience is as different as night and day; I never realized how transparent the AWD system actually was until I took my normal route home and to work. Taking the same corners I take every day under power, I was greeted by a raucous howl from the Turanzas just before the tail slid out (VDC off) requiring opposite lock to be dialed in. Even taking off from a stop under moderate throttle with VDC on makes the tires complain, followed by the traction control kicking in.

The Manumatic Mode is a joke!

I have read numerous complaints online regarding the earlier sedans’ MM mode, but never got to experience the pain firsthand. I was VERY surprised to see the “4” appear when I slid the shifter into the MM gate. This thing acts the same as the auto mode until you reach the highest gear indicated-----utter CRAP! Having to make 3 rapid clicks to simply achieve first gear is an embarrassment. Once again, if the ‘X’ had this feature, I would be driving something else. Apparently, the X cars are blessed with the same MM programming as the Coupes, which drops to first gear as speed decreases, holding each gear until asked on the upshifts, and NO DOWNSHIFTING!

The suspension feels softer than the AWD cars. There seems to be a bit more body lean in the turns, and the turn-in is not as crisp as the “X” even though the loaner is a lighter car.

My derriere-dyno tells me that this car is faster than the ‘X’ from a roll…..but not from a launch. Seriously upgraded rubber and limited-slip is a MUST on this car from a performance standpoint. I now understand how spoiled I am with the AWD launches- no squeal, no drama, just silent 2.20 sec 60’ times over and over. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the “X” cars that 100 or so more horsepower wouldn’t fix.

Interior impressions:

The first thing I noticed was that the steering wheel was different; not differently shaped, just a different feel. The leather was a bit more supple feeling, with a more pronounced texture. Overall it just felt a little softer and more lux and less sporty.

The next item of note was the shifter. The loaner has the old style shifter with the button on the side. I had seen pics of this shifter, and based on those photos, I decided I liked the new style better. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The old style shifter has an ergonomic comfort unmatched by the new piece, and it just ‘fits’ my hand so much better. The only part I prefer is the location of the button, on the front.

The loaner was equipped with the premium package, so there were heated seats and a sunroof, but NO NAV. I didn’t realize how much I depended on that reassuring voice (I named her Vivian) to coax me along my route . The cubby hole and second glove box were lined in a cheap-feeling fuzzy material that left black lint on my hand and presumably everything that would go in there.

Both the tire-pressure monitor lights (which are constantly on even after making sure pressures were OK) and the “VDC off” lights are in different locations from the AWD sedan. They are off to the right side rather than centrally located.

There was no dual climate control button on the dash. There was in its place a ridged (nonfunctional) button to fill the hole.

Conclusions:

At the risk of sounding snobbish or insulting to all of the 5AT sedan drivers who, like it or not, are the majority of G35 drivers out there, THE OPTIONS MAKE THE CAR!!! I couldn’t even fathom spending G35-style money and ending up with a product like this loaner. I suppose that if the RWD sedan was my only frame of reference, I would still be impressed by its beauty, agility and mid-range punch, but the X has ruined me. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who chose a lesser equipped sedan for ANY reason. I am simply astounded at the difference in the driving experience between what I thought were 2 much more similar vehicles.

Any and all comments welcome. Please don’t take any observations made above personally—I’m not talking about YOUR baby….just my loaner

Wayne.

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:07 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Re: First time w/ 2WD G35: REVIEW (long)

Honestly, you drove a loaner. You drove a car that probably has barely enough rubber left on the tires to be safe, and is cheapened-down as much as possible.

Drive a fully-equipped 5AT that's been taken care of, and you'll see that 90% of the differences you mentioned aren't even different. Every time I go and get a loaner, *I* am underwhelmed by the car. That should tell you something.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35s
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / XM / Tint
Z-tube, Pop-charger, Borla True-Dual Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, GroundingGear

<font color=red>B.A.S.T.A.R.D Squad</font color=red>

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:10 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member

Oi Wayne you cheeky bugger, I drive a 5AT!!! Bloody hell, I well peed off now, I'll have too sell my car tomorrow it's a piece of crap.

Joking mate, but a nice write-up, I actually had out an FX35 loaner recentley and had some major criticisms. Anyway, your a mate so I'll put this down to jealousy.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:28 PM
|
Don't drink and Mag Race

Andrew,

You would sell your 5AT sedan in a heartbeat--if the M3 was waiting in the wings.........

Seriously, I love my AWD 5AT. It's the best automatic I've ever owned. If the MM mode in my car was like the loaner, I couldn't truthfully utter that statement.

I think YOU have axle envy my friend.......

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:31 PM

at a recent Lexus drive event I flogged around the G35 5at they had there. the turanzas and non sport suspension makes a huge difference in the way the car handles.

The AT works well but I would miss rowing my own gears. Its a very different animal with the 6MT

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Nismo Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio
Z-Tube/JDM battery cover

Old 09-29-2004 | 07:16 PM

Great writeup!

It sounds like your loaner did not have the sport package. Do you think it would have driven better with the sport package?

Also, if you're good enough to use opposite lock on your way to work (and I believe you - I'm jealous of the roads you must drive on your commute!), then do you really need the Nav?? Turn that damn thing off and drive! Surely you know the route by now.

Old 09-29-2004 | 07:25 PM

Wayne,

Nice review. The only time that I drove a 5AT RWD was during a test drive before I ordered the X about a year ago. Your comment about the suspension reminds me of a review some time ago that stated that the springs used in the X were stiffer than in the RWD sedan.

Paul

Old 09-29-2004 | 07:28 PM

Blimey I have had my car for almost a year and I never had any issues with handling, I feel like I should sell mine and get a totally different manufacturer instead.
Paul.

2004 G35 Sedan with sports package .
2004 Lincoln Aviator
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 completely modified
1999 VW Jetta

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/baj379

Old 09-29-2004 | 07:32 PM

Gotta try the 6MT, Wayne. It rocks the house.

04 Sedan 6MT | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Premium

Old 09-29-2004 | 07:33 PM

Are the springs in the G35X stiffer than the available sport suspension on the RWD G35?

I was considering a G35X until I realized, or it seemed, that it could not be had with the sport suspension. In the end, I'm happy with my 6MT.

2004.5 Diamond Graphite/Graphite G35 6MT Sedan
Premium Package • Navigation • Splash guards • 350Z intake duct • Stillen high-flow airbox • Underbody diffusers

Old 09-29-2004 | 08:19 PM

ditto, try a 6MT with sport suspension

Old 09-29-2004 | 08:38 PM

| Even taking off from a stop under moderate throttle with VDC on
| makes the tires complain, followed by the traction control kicking in.

Aw, c'mon. You really think this would happen with tires in decent shape at *moderate* throttle? I can assure you this is not the case.

You need to ride a friend's taken-care-of sedan, then you can comment if you feel the same. Reviewing loaners, especially if you haven't had a number of them, yields useless information. I almost always get a sedan loaner when I take my car in, and I am always really happy with how my car drives when I get it back. Same car, but not all things are equal.

2003.5S AT / DP / Graphite / Premium / Aero / Sport / Splash

Old 09-29-2004 | 08:45 PM

The '04 loaner you drove was a non-premium package '04 model; they made nice changes to the '04.5 which I have. My MM mode (which I always drive around in ;-) acts properly as all the other Infiniti cars MM mode does (just like our '03 FX35). That old MM mode was stupid and just plain WRONG! Infiniti fixed that for '04.5; however, what they didn't fix was the MM not always responding to your upshifting when you do it, and it still has has about a 1/2 - 1 sec. delay. I wonder if they finally fixed those MM issues for the '05???? I'm waiting for thr '05's to arrive so I can see if my Infiniti service dept. will reflash my ECU and TCU...hopefully!!!

Anyway, my RWD G35 Sedan handles just fine, although I do have the sport wheels with GY GSD's and not the all-season Turnazas, which must make a difference. Here in S. Florida, there's just no reason to have an AWD imo. My G35 is excellent in the heat and torrential downpours just the same. So far, I haven't heard my tires squeal yet and I've taken a few tight high-speed turns. To me, it handles very well (with VDC on) and I do not have the sport-tuned suspension (just the aero package and the sport wheels/tires). I've heard that the differences in handling of the sport suspension (stiffer shocks and springs) are not as major as some would like to think. However, I do agree that the differences in the tires may be more significant.

I'm not saying that AWD doesn't have its advantages, just that it's not always a necessity. In addtion, I really enjoy driving my 5AT in MM mode everywhere. Call me lazy, but I had an MT for years and I don't miss the clutch one bit. I usually downshift to 3rd or 2nd before coming to a stop, and let the computer go down to 1st at a stop; then, I upshift from there...I feel like I'm in better control in MM and it's definitely more fun. However, when I'm on the cell phone or I'm taking a sip of coffee, I can just slip it into Auto and I'm good to go. I feel like I have the best of both worlds, even though it's not same (I know, it's not the same as an MT...I get it, but I think the 5AT MM is plenty of fun without the hassle ;-)

Like I've aways said...to each his own. At this point in my life, I don't think I will ever go back to a MT, but that's me. Other people have different likes/dislikes and different priorities.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 09/29/04 07:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-29-2004 | 10:04 PM

I had exactly the oposite experience. I own a 6MT and drove an X as loaner. I found the X noticably slower. While I agree that the AWD system is quite seamless, the lack of a limited slip in the AT car you drove makes all the difference in the world. As does the sport suspension. You really should drive a 6MT for an idea what these cars really can be. If I could have gotten the X with a 6 speed and sport suspension I might have considered it, but without those features it was an easy choice. It's really amazing how different the personalities of this car can be with the various equipment levels. Too bad we don't have "line item veto" like the old muscle car days, when you had your choice of 100 different items....pick from 4 engines, three transmissions, and four different rear axle ratios, (don't forget the police package suspension pieces.)

Finally, if your loaner had no dual climate control, it was not a premium package car.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 09-30-2004 | 04:09 AM

That was a pretty harsh review.... Just imagine what us coupe guys go through everytime we get a G35 sedan loaner with automatic transmission and cushy suspension? ; ) Then again, imagine what the 350Z guys would be saying if they got a G35 Coupe as a loaner.

My brief impression of G35 sedan loaner:

1) Please people (customers), keep the cars clean, I know it's just a loaner, but don't trash it!

2) Manualmatic is a good compromise for most people who want to be able to pick gears without having to operate a clutch. (or have the annoyning cement mixer sound from the clutch) It's still nothing like the direct connection you have with the manual, but sure beats having only P-R-N-D.

3) Sedan suspension is significantly more comfortable than the coupe. Feels much better dampered over uneven roads. Sometimes I wish the coupes are offered the same suspension as the sedans..... then I hit the corner and go "Nah~" As far as handling goes, the sedan actually feels lighter and more tossable, it also has less understeer than the coupe. (probably because of the tires and additional structural support on the coupe) Still, the coupe is more stable through turns and exibits higher limits and better response.

4) Sedan Turanzas suck, period. If a close family member had bought a sedan, I'd secretly swap out those crappy tires in the middle of the night. They have very poor grip and handling characterstics, especially in the wet. (pathetic for all season tire)

5) Interior: Pretty much the same as the coupe, but the seats are not as supporttive and door panels feel cheaper (but more solid) than the coupe.

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First time w/ 2WD G35: REVIEW (long)