G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Its hot out and my car doesn't like it V.overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its hot out and my car doesn't like it V.overheating

So a couple of days ago i noticed my temp gauge started to go beyond the middle of the gauge. I've had some really REALLY bad experiences with cars over heating. so i kind of freaked out. The needle was about 3/4 way up (4 bars under the H point) when i decided to turn off the AC... it help immediately and the needle went right back to the middle.

It was fairly warm out.. like 30C. I know the fan works cause i can hear and feel it when it kicks in. I didn't think much of it until today. it's like 40C out and the car does the same thing! I can't turn the AC on without the car overheating and it's really freaking me out! I opened the hood to check the reservoir but i can't see the MIN and MIX level mark.are there any??

Man I've been so unlucky with this car

Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
There is a Min and Max level mark, its toward the bottom of the tank, your might be dirty so you might not be able to see it.

Air bubbles in your coolant system? Not sure, good luck with the problem

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
When was the last time the coolant was changed?

I think that temp is a tad high. I was stuck sitting in traffic for 2 hours in 98 degree heat with the ac on and my temp gauge was always a few ticks under half....jut sitting still and not moving.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't know... I g the car used. I should do that I guess.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check for air bubbles in your system, or low coolant. You have to really look inside to check if it's empty. Also, consider changing your thermostat to make sure everything is in the clear. To do something a step beyond you should replace the radiator cap, my friends radiator capped deterioated and clogged up his hoses.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its in the 90's here and mine has thus far just sat under the middle like normal.. never really seems to move.

definitely check the coolant, if you dont see any lines, at least get some coolant in the reservoir and when the car is cool, look in the rad to see if there is coolant visible, if not, put some directly into the radiator

Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Choleaoum
Check for air bubbles in your system, or low coolant. You have to really look inside to check if it's empty. Also, consider changing your thermostat to make sure everything is in the clear. To do something a step beyond you should replace the radiator cap, my friends radiator capped deterioated and clogged up his hoses.
How would i check for air bubbles?

So i checked the reservoir and it was a little low but not below the MIN line. I filled it up to the max line. I looked as if that fixed the problem but yesterday the needle started creeping up again had to turn off the AC again!

This morning it was ball melting hot again so i turned the AC on and the gauge indicated middle temp again.

I'm thinking maybe the air bubble might be the problem then right? I need to go to the garage today as i had changed my tyres at the begining of the week but the balancing seems off... maybe i should get them to change the thermostat and flush the cooling system.

Any ideas on normal price for a thermostat?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Since turning off the AC always resolves the problem, I doubt it is the thermostat. An easy way to check the thermostat is to start the car when the engine is cold, feel the upper radiator hose for pressure and temp. After a few minutes the thermostat should open and you will feel an increase in pressure and temp on the upper radiator hose.

Except for early Gs, we have two electric radiator fans. Start the car with the engine cold, the fans should be off. Turn the AC on and to the lowest temp; both fans should immediately turn on. Turn off the AC and the fans should both turn off. If the car sits for long enough the temp will get hot enough to turn on the fans even with the AC off. While you are checking the fans, also make sure the shroud is not damaged and the radiator is not so filthy that it could be causing the problem. With the key out of the ignition, check that you can rotate the fans by hand easily.

You still haven't mentioned if you opened the radiator cap. If you are full on coolant, this should be filled to the top; a small amount might even spill when you open it. DON'T open it when the engine is hot!

Have a shop do a pressure test of the system. This will indicate any leaks. Also, check the oil. If the coolant is overheating, then the oil is also working overtime.

Other things it could be: water pump going out or loose drive belt. Coolant past its prime. In fact if there is not enough water in the mix, the coolant won't be effective at keeping things cool. Radiator cap seal could be bad (check the service manual).

In fact, it would be a good idea for you to read the entire cooling section of the service manual (available for download on the forum). That will also tell you how to get rid of air bubbles. Hint: there is a purge opening on a hose near the brake fluid reservoir.

Good luck.

Last edited by brandon1978; 07-08-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by brandon1978
Since turning off the AC always resolves the problem, I doubt it is the thermostat. An easy way to check the thermostat is to start the car when the engine is cold, feel the upper radiator hose for pressure and temp. After a few minutes the thermostat should open and you will feel an increase in pressure and temp on the upper radiator hose.

Except for early Gs, we have two electric radiator fans. Start the car with the engine cold, the fans should be off. Turn the AC on and to the lowest temp; both fans should immediately turn on. Turn off the AC and the fans should both turn off. If the car sits for long enough the temp will get hot enough to turn on the fans even with the AC off. While you are checking the fans, also make sure the shroud is not damaged and the radiator is not so filthy that it could be causing the problem. With the key out of the ignition, check that you can rotate the fans by hand easily.

You still haven't mentioned if you opened the radiator cap. If you are full on coolant, this should be filled to the top; a small amount might even spill when you open it. DON'T open it when the engine is hot!

Have a shop do a pressure test of the system. This will indicate any leaks. Also, check the oil. If the coolant is overheating, then the oil is also working overtime.

Other things it could be: water pump going out or loose drive belt. Coolant past its prime. In fact if there is not enough water in the mix (very possible in Fargo), the coolant won't be effective at keeping things cool. Radiator cap seal could be bad (check the service manual).

In fact, it would be a good idea for you to read the entire cooling section of the service manual (available for download on the forum). That will also tell you how to get rid of air bubbles. Hint: there is a purge opening on a hose near the brake fluid reservoir.

Good luck.
THANK you... i'll be working on it this weekend. But right now it's just too hot to work on it. I might get the garage to at least flush the system today. It wont hurt that's for sure.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
So just had my head under the hood and the air relief plug is between then battery box and the engine cover, not near the brake fluid reservoir. In the official 2006 sedan service manual, the picture they show must be for a right hand drive model, because the brake fluid reservoir is where our battery would be!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Ok so here's where I'm at with this.

Both fans are working where car is running

Left the car idle for 10 min and did not over heat

Coolant full in both reservoir and rad

Was at the garage to balance the tyres... They saying the thermostat is prob the problem but he needs to run a couple of tests.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
bump

Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
More info...

This morning i was driving to work with the AC on and the car did not overheat. It's a 20min drive and the temp reached that 2 ticks under the middle and stuck there for the rest of the trip. The problem is when i drive for 30 min or more the temp start climbing right up until 2 ticks under the gap btween the graduated temp and the H.

Attached Thumbnails Its hot out and my car doesn't like it V.overheating-too-hot.jpg   Its hot out and my car doesn't like it V.overheating-ok.jpg