20hp diff between the coupe and sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:16 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 20hp diff between the coupe and sedan

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Guys, I like the sedan. It is just not something I need. Perhaps you have different priorities but I can not sit back and let someone say things like "midlife crisis chick car" and "soccer moms" about a sports car when you're all driving family sedans because that is truly rediculous.

<hr></blockquote>

LOL so true, funny but true!!!!!!!!! Man this is so dumb, i just wanna hit something so hard listening to this BS, lol oops just broke my door in half, man that gym is getting to me!! Anyway sorry for all of the anger, my N02 body building supplement is crazy, try it =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 10-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL you guys are arguing over basicaly the same car LOL

Heck most of the people I see driving our sedans are old farts. Im like one of the few people under 35 in my area that drive one. I rather see a hot soccer mom in a coupe then an old fart in the sedan any day LOL

I think most people in the 20-35 age group buy SUV's for a status symbol.. why? I have no idea

God I hate SUV's... always blocking your view up ahead if your stuck behind them, always trying to squeeze into the compact parking spaces, which leaves like 2 inches between your car and theres. Then there always driving like there behind the wheel of a ferrari even tho it takes them the length of a football field to stop when driving fast. Scares the hell out of me when I see a SUV flying in and out of traffic towards me. Because if they lose it, your dead and they will walk away with a few sracthes.

Personaly I hope gas prices keep going up, so these 12 mpg SUV's will cost them a fortune to drive. Maybe then they will give them up....

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT
Nismo Type S Suspension / Nismo Sway Bars
19" OZ Rims / Stillen Front/Rear Camber Kit / Z Tube
Stillen Big-Airflow Intake / Stillen Catback Exhaust

Old 10-06-2004, 03:45 PM

ok, this is my last post on this thread...

Go ahead and put 4 girls in your coupe as well. You will have the same outcome. All that he is saying is that our back seat passengers won't have to break their necks sitting in the back. As regards the 2/10th of a second difference in the 0 - 60 mph catagory. I doubt anyone will spank anyone unless of course it is auto vs 6sp. Tell me this though, how will you feel when you are in your coupe and we are in our sedan and we pull even just a foot on you? How about when we are able to out brake you as well? The coupe is not a better car hands down. It might look better than a sedan in your eyes, but then again, the sedan might look better in our eyes. Does this even really matter.

<hr></blockquote>

This was an Auto vs 6MT conversation. Is 2/10ths of a second even noticable? No, but numbers are numbers. Pulling a foot on me is a moot point given the last 2 sentences. When it comes down to 2/10ths of a second, the difference is all driver. Braking: a few inches on a skidpad does not directly reflect real life driving. If you're talking about realistic driving situations, you're better off with the Brembos on the 6MT with virtually nonexistant brake fade than the grabbiness of the sedan brakes.

Oh yeah, and the passengers thing. I did not buy my car to cart around passengers. The "back seat" (if you even want to call it that) has never been sat in. I have tried to make this very clear.

The bottom line is that this truly does not matter. It's fun to go back and forth and I am not trying to offend anyone. We are comparing two totally different cars that serve very different purposes. My car suits my needs perfectly as your sedan does yours.

2004.5 Black on Black 6MT, Aero, Premium, Navi
"You can live in your car but you can't drive your house"

Old 10-06-2004, 06:19 PM
English dude, English

I think you and I are saying the same thing. I could be wrong. But my experiences have shown that I must be a half way decent driver. Your right on the Brembo brakes not having as much fade as ours. I completely forgot to look at the "track's" point of view. Good mention. And your right again, you can't compare auto's vs 6sp. Good read! Take care.

It sure is good to see some youngsters like myself (28) to be seen behind a sedan. :-)

Old 10-06-2004, 06:20 PM

Quoted from KingofJericho:

"...the coupe may be heavier by some measure but it's performance is DRASTICALLY different from a stock sedan... and all for the positive. I get sedans as my loaner and I can't WAIT to get back into a coupe after carting around in a sedan. The sedans suspension is floaty at best and there is a noticable difference in hp. The lack of an aggressive exhaust kills the sedan. I get looks all day long in my coupe but have yet to get one in the loaner sedan. You're comparing apples to oranges, totally different cars."

I wouldn't say that the performance is drastically different between the coupe and sedan. Granted the coupe is buttoned down to the road better because of the lower ride height and slightly stiffer suspension but the sedan, at least the 6MT, is only slightly behind in terms of handling. I'd imagine that the sedan loaners you've had have all been base models with the standard suspension (all the loaners I've had have been).

In my opinion, the coupe is probably one of the best, if not the best, looking coupes on the market. I actually prefer it to the 350Z. It looks more elegant while still being sporty. I prefer the coupe's styling over the sedan's but I needed the extra two doors. I have no doubt you get more looks in your coupe than you would in the sedan (I know I always stare at the coupe). I used to get lots of looks and people stopping to talk to me when I had my S2000 (back in '00 when they were very rare) so I know how it feels and I love to talk about cars.

I wish the sedan had an exhaust similar to the coupe's -- maybe not quite as loud since the sedan is supposed to have more of a "grown-up" image -- but definetly less restrictive.

Saying the two cars are like comparing apples to oranges and are totally different is really a false statement. I'd say the two cars are virtually the same with just different tweaks.

2004.5 Diamond Graphite/Graphite G35 6MT Sedan
Premium Package • Navigation • Splash guards • 350Z intake duct • Stillen high-flow airbox • Underbody diffusers

Old 10-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Heck most of the people I see driving our sedans are old farts. Im like one of the few people under 35 in my area that drive one. I rather see a hot soccer mom in a coupe then an old fart in the sedan any day LOL

Do you really think that old farts don`t appreciate driving fine performance cars. Some of us are still living large, and some of us can only now enjoy a little of our money after putting our kids thru school. A little respect, please!

04 G35X, Premium, Wood, DP

Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 PM

True. The stock sedan exhaust is the main culprit. I got probably the 2nd or 3rd production Stillen X-pipe catback. Combined with the Z-Tube and Crank pulley set, the car pulls very strong and is very different from stock across the torque curve. I'm afraid I'm done with modding the G though. Just got a call from my "other" dealer. A guy dropped out of the pre-order program and I get my FJR1300 next month instead of next April. Wooooohoooo!!! 129 RWHP pushing 530 lbs. is enough adrenaline for me. Will make my K1200 seem like a dog. Bad part is, my G will probably be sitting alot more. Poor baby. I still love her though.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004...-fjr13-1-1.jpg

Old 10-06-2004, 11:34 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Wellllll... I have to say when compared right, auto coupe to auto sedan and 6spd etc, the coupe does have more top end pull, how? I have no idea!! I guess it is the more aggressive timing, i use to beat coupes with my intake when they were stock, but they would start pulling but now i eat up some coupes, but i aslso cant imagine all of the stuff i put in mine, on a 6spd coupe, it must be fast as hell!! And talk about youngsters behind the wheel of a sedan, im 19 haha!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 AM

"Yeah, let me drop $1,500 in mods on my coupe and I'll go any day of the week! I was talking about stock vs stock. "

200 for the pulley and 400 for the plenum. Those are the only output mods. You have a 6MT and I have a 5AT with 20 fewer HP stock. Let me break even with you since they do make the coupe to be faster.

Coupe buyer and sedan buyers are way different - look at cross compared cars for each. They are not meant to be the same at all they just share everything but looks. And the coupe looks like a super car that if I were 23 and shorter I would certainly consider and as an old 35er with marriage aspirations - possible engagement this weekend - The sedan looks better than the 3 or the TLaccord. I love the coupe line from profile view but the sedan has that line that runs down rear fender and into the door...that line will appear in the lexus GS coming soon. Something I've had going on for sports sedans kept me from even driving the coupe before i purchased. Saw a 545 the other day and made change my opinion on the bangler.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM

SixFive:

200 for the pulley and 400 for the plenum. Those are the only output mods. You have a 6MT and I have a 5AT with 20 fewer HP stock. Let me break even with you since they do make the coupe to be faster.

<hr></blockquote>

I said "stock vs stock" from the beginning and the whole argument was that the coupe IS faster stock. You just proved my point. Lest we forget you are the one who said "wanna race?"

Fireball:

I appreciate your honesty regarding the coupe. That is, and always has been my opinion which is why I was so shocked when I read that someone called it a midlife crisis chick car. That was just an off-the-mark comment.

As for comparing apples to oranges... that's more of a personal thing I guess. When I drive the sedans (I've had 2 G35X's and two regular sedans, all auto (as for trim, I really can't tell the difference but I know one had the premuim package) they truly feel extremely different to me. Higher drive height, less responsive steering, and "touchy" brakes all make the car seem drastically different to me (but man, take off that VDC and that thing will do donuts for an hour! I hate when they give me the AWD loaners). I understand that they are mechanically very similar but that is truly difficult to tell without popping the hood and the tweaks you talk about are pretty significant (in my eyes). The FX35 has many of the same components as the coupe, including the unrestrictive exhaust, but does that make it virtually the same also? I don't think so, but you may think otherwise. We're really splitting hairs here and I was only speaking from personal experience. To me, the cars feel totally different.

SixFive said it best: "Coupe buyers and sedan buyers are very different." That is because the cars serve completely different purposes. I'm not getting married anytime soon and I weep for the future if I have a kid right now. Like I've said several times, this car gets me to the train station with a grin on my face every day.

I am not challenging anyone to a race, nor am I putting anyone down. I was simply refuting the rediculous comments that Hydrazine and KarlHungus made about the clientele ("soccer moms and old fogies" and "midlife crisis chick car") purchasing the coupes. I found it hard to swallow since 99% of the people I see driving sedans are 35+, making the comment truly rediculous. The reality is that the coupe is expensive and painfully impractical. It is truly meant for those with disposable income. I understand that I am a rarity being able to buy a coupe at 23, but it shouldn't be shocking to see older people driving them. People who are going through a midlife crisis buy sports cars because they're sexier than sedans and they can finally afford them after putting their kids through college. It's the same concept as that grandma driving the convertible viper, I say give her a thumbs up. Just because she's older doesn't mean she should drive a Cadillac.

What's with that????

<hr></blockquote>

Stop hating, we all have our preferences. You love your sedan, me and the "old fogies" love our coupes. Be happy for us, we don't sit on the coupe forum insulting the sedans and I'm shocked to see it here.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KofJ, I think it was a knee jerk reaction from many sedan owners when they make fun of the coupe so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Sedan owners unfortunately have gone through a lot more criticism on how their car looks than the coupe owners. I believe a fair statement would be that the sedan is more "polarizing" than the coupe. Some people really hate the look while other people find it beautiful...the coupe usually never gets criticized on looks.

I know in So-cal, most coupe drivers I've seen are noticeably younger than sedan owners. It seems you have 3 types that buy coupes here...the teens (daddy bought it), the tweens (first car out of school), and professionals. I haven't seen a soccer mom drive one and in fact, I have yet to see one with people in the back =).

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 PM

"The reality is that the coupe is expensive and painfully impractical. It is truly meant for those with disposable income."

Well now you are just out there a bit mate... The coupe is not much more than a sedan and not THAT impractical...it's no 350Z. 35k is not far out of reach for many your age. The purpose it serves for me is to the train station 1 mile away so maybe I am more impractical with my decision than yours. WHich is why I am looking to give GF my car and get a 1984 supra with low mileage to last another 20 years.

I would like to race a coupe with my mods so if you happen to make those 2 upgrades - let me know - I'd donate 100 bucks for a winner purse to benefit the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundantion if we can get together- mods or not on a track this fall. There should be a track meet somewhere. No jest - just fun.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 PM

and dont forget the 6 speed has the extra gear so that pulls the rug on true stock to stock comp anyway. 6 speed sedans do 13.9 in the 1/4 so I am not even there at 14.2 with mods. You should win even with my mods mate.

Also - whats a good ticker to watch these days. Looking for a higher risk stock right now.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 10-07-2004, 01:44 PM

I work for a high yield money manager and we are exclusively in high yield bonds (the junk). I do however watch the stocks in my spare time (Bloomberg, there is no substitute). The prettiest chart I've seen in years is SLB (Schlumberger Limited). I also have a feeling MRK (Merck) is really beaten down. Strong company with a little tough luck, but they're not going anywhere, I am all over that. Some other risky but nice looking stocks are PETD (Petroleum Development Corp), DO (Diamond Offshore), and YUM (Yum Brands, they own Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc).

Take a look at those, they're all pretty attractive.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Sixfive ill run him or u since we have such similar mods and i have a few extra things, i eat up coupes LOL, but you guys know which one i like better!! Me and jericho will make a video, ok??

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 20hp diff between the coupe and sedan