G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

20hp diff between the coupe and sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20hp diff between the coupe and sedan

I have an '04 sedan and couldn't help notice the coupe makes 20 hp more. Is there an internal engine difference (cam, valve springs etc..)? or is it simply a different exhaust?

sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it.

-Dave

Old 10-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Re: 20hp diff between the coupe and sedan

Answer = Marketing. The sedan is lighter, so it could not be allowed to be faster than the "sporty" coupe. It is pretty well accepted that the sedan is under-rated by Infiniti so that the coupe numbers look better. I had a 6MT coupe on order way back in '02, but when they started showing up and I test drove one, I cancelled my order and bought a sedan. The coupe felt heavier (it is) and slower than the sedan. And the "back seat" is a joke. Plus, all I see are 40 something women driving coupes now. Its becoming a midlife crisis chick car.

However, a tinted black sedan with 18's is all business.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

KarlHungus,

Man that is so true. Short of the people on this forum, most (not all) of the people I see driving the coup are soccer moms and old fogies.... What's with that????

kinda reminds me of the time I saw GRANDMA driving the convertable VIPER!!!!!!!!! (:O

2004 G35 6MT Blk/Blk Sedan Stillen Air, Stillen Exhaust

Old 10-05-2004, 01:29 PM

So do we know what they do to get the 20 extra ponies?

Old 10-05-2004, 01:50 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manly exhaust. There is at most only a 10hp difference between the two cars and as someone stated, the sedan is slightly lighter so the speed is relatively close.

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 10-05-2004, 01:50 PM

Stillen Exhuast = 22 hp

It would seem to me the difference was just a more restrictive airflow for the sedan that seperated it from the coupe. Put a good aftermarket exhaust on and you'll easily have the 280hp

2003.5 G35 Sedan White/6MT
Nismo Type S Suspension / Nismo Sway Bars
19" OZ Rims / Stillen Front/Rear Camber Kit / Z Tube
Stillen Big-Airflow Intake / Stillen Catback Exhaust

Old 10-05-2004, 01:59 PM

I believe he's saying that many believe the G35 Sedan has always had the same HP (in fact Infiniti is now showing the 5AT Sedan will be up to 280 HP for the '05 model ;-) as the Coupe, although this can be debated. Some think this difference in HP has always just been on paper and Infiniti did this purposely as a marketing ploy.

Although many say the Coupe "feels" heavier (and it actually is by a couple hundred pounds or so), it still typically gets 0-60 mph of 5.8 sec. vs. the sedan's 0-60 mph of 6.2 sec. in the car mag tests (stock cars; no mods of course ;-). So, if the Sedan is lighter and has the same HP, how is that possible? Possibly different ECU/TCU settings, different exhaust (we know that), etc.? I have yet to see any definitive answers to this question anywhere.

We may find out for sure in a month or so when the '05's arrive. The '05 5AT G35 Sedan has been reported to now have 280 HP (the same as the 5AT Coupe) while the '05 6MT Coupe and Sedan will now supposedly have 298 HP. Until the car mags do their tests on the '05 G35 and/or some of us consumers get an '05 G35, we won't know what technical improvements (if any???) Infiniti has made for such increases in HP.

Sorry if I haven't helped, but basically nobody really knows for sure! ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 10/05/04 11:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM

As far as for the 0-60 times, I was thinking that the difference was due to the tires. The sedans 215s really suck for the "Hole Shot". In fact, I think the G35 sedan had the skinniest tires in its class combined with almost the highest HP. I can tell you that when my 6MT was stock, I had no problem getting a second AND third gear scratch. Now with my new meats, this scratch has disappeared into a more pronounced squat with minor whiplash as I row through the gears (instead of a loss of traction during shifts I now feel sudden acceleration). I am sure that it shaved off a couple of tenths.

04' Sedan 6MT /Premium/Aero/HuperOptik/XM
Z-Tube / Stillen- Sways, Airbox & Grounding Kit
19x8.5/9.5 Hiros / S-03s 245/40 & 275/35zr19
Tokico D-Specs, 350z H-Techs, Kinetix Camber Kit

Old 10-05-2004, 06:24 PM

The fact that the coupe requires premium gas, while the sedan only recommends it, indicates that there is some difference.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 10-05-2004, 07:01 PM
G Kreuzer

Some choose to believe, while others don't. The HP difference between the Sedan and Coupe is very real IMHO. It is not quite as cut and dry as 260 vs. 280, however.

The AT sedan's ECU have been found to contain timing maps that are far less aggressive than thos of the Coupe and 350Z. Added to that is the slightly more restrictive exhaust system. To me, 260hp sounds reasonable. Track times seems to indicate that as being the case as well; stock for stock.

The MT sedan on the other hand has identical timing maps as the Coupe and 350Z, although it still retains a less efficient exhaust which is bound to cost several HP towards the top. So, that puts it somewhere between 260 and 280hp. Some have suggested 270hp and I suppose that's reasonable to me, but certainly not equal to Coupe's 280 ... again IMO. Once again, track times suggest the Coupes are just a hair faster than the MT sedans; stock for stock.

For the model year 2005 and on the debate will be over. Both the Sedans and Coupes will have the same ECU program. Instead, the difference will have been between 5AT or 6MT ECU across the board accounting for 280hp and 298hp respectively.

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-05-2004, 07:04 PM
EZZ

The coupe is about 50-80 lbs lighter by most base curb weights. I bet most of this is due to the wheels alone (18s vs 17s on the sedan). They usually publish the weight of the 6mt coupe which comes fully loaded with LSD, brembos, and sports suspension. If you look at the sedan 6mt, only about 50lb difference between the two. There is definitely a handling difference due to the coupe having a lower center of gravity.

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 10-05-2004, 09:25 PM

The "less aggressive" timing maps for the 5AT sedan allow the use of 87 gas, which is a good thing these days. But put in the good stuff and the timing will advance to take advantage and make more power. So, to me, the 5AT sedan map makes the most sense overall. It will be interesting to see if the '05 sedans all require premium now.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:38 PM

I always use 93 octane Premium gas anyhow on my '04.5 5AT Sedan ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe

Old 10-06-2004, 09:39 AM

i could only dream of being able to get 93... california only has 91..

Old 10-06-2004, 10:17 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Plus, all I see are 40 something women driving coupes now. Its becoming a midlife crisis chick car.

However, a tinted black sedan with 18's is all business.

<hr></blockquote>
I'm usually not one to flame a post but are you guys completely insane? Mid-life crisis chick car? That is the most proposterous statement I've ever heard. I've seen ONE woman driving an coupe in my life. "a tinted black sedan with 18's is all business?" exactly what kind of business? carting the kids around? I don't know how things work out there but around here chicks dig sports cars, not family sedans... the coupe may be heavier by some measure but it's performance is DRASTICALLY different from a stock sedan... and all for the positive. I get sedans as my loaner and I can't WAIT to get back into a coupe after carting around in a sedan. The sedans suspension is floaty at best and there is a noticable difference in hp. The lack of an aggressive exhaust kills the sedan. I get looks all day long in my coupe but have yet to get one in the loaner sedan. You're comparing apples to oranges, totally different cars.

As for the "midlife crisis chick car" comment... Please, I see 10 times as many chicks driving Porsche 996's, are you going to tell me that's a chick car also? The practicality of a coupe is virtually zero and you can tell that before you even take a test drive... bottom line - don't hate us because your wife wouldn't let you buy the coupe. It's a sports car - the sedan is a family sedan...period.

2004.5 Black on Black 6MT, Aero, Premium, Navi
"You can live in your car but you can't drive your house"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 20hp diff between the coupe and sedan