G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Passenger seat stuck forward

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

The passengers side switch went out in my car the Infiniti no longer sells the switch you have to buy the whole seat for $3000. I figured out how to replace my broken switch for $85 (with a new one OEM) and thought I share for anyone else with the same problem. This took about 1 hour of work including my wire testing time that you can now skip since I outline what to do below.

My problem was the seat back adjust on the passengers side would go backwards only and not forward. After pulling the switch I realized the ball bearing had moved out of position. Since these switches are designed to be durable you can open them up. Unfortunately after several hours I realized I wan't going to be able to get the cap back on like it used to be and managed to lose a spring trying.

The solution...
I ordered a power switch unit for the drivers side seat new OEM. With tax, shipping, and a $10 handling fee this costed $85. This is the 8 way switch unit that controls seat forward, backwards, up, down, and back of the seat forwards, and backwards. Under the this switch unit are two cages. The 4 switch unit for seat location and back location is an identical switch unit and cage to the passengers side. These two cage units pop right out and run wires down in 2 separate groups to the pig tail that plugs into the seat itself. Here is where there was some complications. Both groups of wires join at the pigtail into one pig tail that is different than the passengers side so I had to cut some wires and re-splice into the stock pigtail on the passengers side seat plug. This turned out to be required anyway since I had to flip a few wires. Since the drivers side switches are facing towards the drivers side and the passengers side towards the passengers side when in the seats, it made forward go backwards and vice versa on both switches. In order to compensate I flipped a few of the wires tested, then soldered them up and everything is working perfectly as well as looks brand new. Here is the wiring I used:
Black and Red remain the same:
Black to Black
Red to Red
Flip white and blue:
White goes to Blue
Blue goes to White
Flip Yellow and Green:
Yellow goes to Green
Green goes to Yellow

Now when I placed the yoke back into the seat cage for the passengers side they can face with the wiring facing out the back or front. I wasn't sure what way it should be facing anymore and placed the wires pointing out towards the back of the seat. It doesn't matter what direction but it does matter for how the wires are soldered so if you use my wiring schema when plugging the switch yoke back into the seat harness face the wires towards the back of the seat. If you plugged it in the other way the assay switch would control the back and vice versa as well as forward would be backwards for both (every single switch would be reversed).

I suspect you could flip the red and black instead and place the wires forward however red and black are a power and ground (thicker wires as well). The red and black wires are common on the emery board and cross to both sets of switches so that's was a riskier proposition I wasn't willing to test.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Hi Prinny,

I realize this post is 6 years old but I was wondering if you could tell me how to manually move the seat back. My passenger seat is stuck slid completely forward, so no one can sit in my front seat. I want to get it in to a position where I coundl have a peson sit comfortably up front, rather than replacing the whole motor assy.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-15-2022, 06:49 PM
2006 G35 base
Originally Posted by MarioG85
Hi Prinny,

I realize this post is 6 years old but I was wondering if you could tell me how to manually move the seat back. My passenger seat is stuck slid completely forward, so no one can sit in my front seat. I want to get it in to a position where I coundl have a peson sit comfortably up front, rather than replacing the whole motor assy.

Thanks in advance!
If you take off the motor, there is a 10mm nut on top of the gear, turning that nut moves your seat forwards and backwards