G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2004 G35 Silicone Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 G35 Silicone Air Intake?

Who makes the best intake hose for the 2004 g35 sedan? What material would keep the air coolest? My K&N intake hose gets really, really hot from the engine bay,and stays hot for more than an hour after the engine's turned off. Of course, I live i Dallas as well...

Is the Samco silicone good? Does HPS even make for a 2004 g35?

Thanks, really need some more power here!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Everything is gonna get up to the same temp eventually. Heat soak is a bitch.

Metals tend to transfer heat to air quicker than rubbers. Honestly...the oem hose or a z tube is prob the best in terms of material. In terms of flow...not quite sure.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
what material is the z-tube made of? the k&n is aluminum; i've heard some are double-layered with room between so the heat doesn't get in??

thanks!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
samco is nice I'm running it with a jwt pop charger

Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
you could always wrap it in the heat reflective stuff that looks like metallic bubble wrap. Might look like crap, but it should be one of the better options out there for heat reflection.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i've heard some are double-layered with room between so the heat doesn't get in??
Even if that's true, heat will eventually get to the I.D. pipe. No matter what you do to keep the intake piping cool, it'd always going to hit a hot manifold. You could try ceramic coating, but it's pricey for the .5 hp you'd get.

Z-tube is the way to go.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Why the Z-tube? Is my K&N kit intake which runs all the way to the front bumper not giving me maximum gains? It's sorta an extended short-ram, with the round K&N filter.
I read the Stillen website and it says:
"the intake (independent of the Z-Tube) adds 11 horsepower at 6,100 RPM to the G35 Sedan."

I'm pretty sure K&N did not promise that much of a gain for its kit. Should I be buying both the Stillen Z-tube and the Stillen air-intake? Is 11hp true? I think the k&n gives me 4-5. On my second intake already, I have a large Spectre as well from before...

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
i have the samco hose right now. i like it. im switching it out for the fujita short ram though as soon as that gets here any day now. only reason im switching though is more for show.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by numair
Why the Z-tube? Is my K&N kit intake which runs all the way to the front bumper not giving me maximum gains? It's sorta an extended short-ram, with the round K&N filter.
"the intake (independent of the Z-Tube) adds 11 horsepower at 6,100 RPM to the G35 Sedan."

I'm pretty sure K&N did not promise that much of a gain for its kit. Should I be buying both the Stillen Z-tube and the Stillen air-intake? Is 11hp true? I think the k&n gives me 4-5. On my second intake already, I have a large Spectre as well from before...

Thanks!

I wouldn't be so caught up in hp gains from an air intake tube. You probably are not really gaining half of what you are expected so don't get caught up putting so much thought into it. If you already have the k$n, just leave it on.

Focus on other mods for power.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
The only way you will truly see good gains out of bolt on parts is with a tune. After you get all the parts you want from intake to exhaust, get a tune. You will probably get more from the tune than you will get from all the bolt on parts put together.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
"The only way you will truly see good gains out of bolt on parts is with a tune. After you get all the parts you want from intake to exhaust, get a tune."

Yes, will get an Osiris after throwing in a couple of bolt-ons...

Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by numair

Thanks!
With the intake that goes down into the bumper is a CAI. With that, your switching all the power up into the higher revs, meanwhile our cars make good power down low so theres no reason to switch it as you won't be revving that high in DD, if that's what your G is. The intake is more for the sound aspect since the stock airbox is so efficient as is, and the Z-tube frees up a lot of air that the "larger bulky thing with a smaller tube" restricts lol.

And don't worry about the numbers that manufacturers give you, they tend to inflate them anyway.

+1 on the tune after all the breathing mods

Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Man, you are really barking up the wrong tree. After 5.5 years owning my G I am back to stock airbox(with Amsoil filter) and stock intake pipe. (I still have Stillen short ram kit-sitting on the shelf in garage) and I just sold carbon fiber z pipe on ebay.
All those things mean squat on G. 2 hp on 260+(in reality 285+) hp car...c'mon! After I take a good dump I have more performance gains just from weight reduction.

If you have $200-$300 burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on good maintanance-synthetics everywhere(tranny and diff included), make sure coolant is fresh, flush the brake fluid and put some ATE or Motul there. How are your belts doing? Get SS brake and clutch lines, get GT spec braces-this will really change how your car "feels"-to the better.

Intake mods are superficial...we are not driving 1991 Integras.

Oh, my signature-for some reason I cannot edit it.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Right you are.

I completely agree, all the above plus new hoses and a good seafoam helps my car drive like a dream!

Originally Posted by obender66
Man, you are really barking up the wrong tree. After 5.5 years owning my G I am back to stock airbox(with Amsoil filter) and stock intake pipe. (I still have Stillen short ram kit-sitting on the shelf in garage) and I just sold carbon fiber z pipe on ebay.
All those things mean squat on G. 2 hp on 260+(in reality 285+) hp car...c'mon! After I take a good dump I have more performance gains just from weight reduction.

If you have $200-$300 burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on good maintanance-synthetics everywhere(tranny and diff included), make sure coolant is fresh, flush the brake fluid and put some ATE or Motul there. How are your belts doing? Get SS brake and clutch lines, get GT spec braces-this will really change how your car "feels"-to the better.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:38 PM
On that note, are h--quality silcone replacement hoses worth it? Moshimoto ones are like $80 for all four pieces, while Gates run about $20. I do to replace the hoses at this time, so it's not just an unnecessary expense...
Will I feel an actual difference in driving, or are they just for longevity and peace of mind?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by obender66

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 G35 Silicone Air Intake?