odd front strut noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011 | 07:51 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
well I finally got fed up and brought it to the dealer to diagnose it.

Drivers side compression rod is bad....figures. I had them check the right side, but its still okay. This will be the 3rd compression rod on my car, at 74K miles. Sucks not having a warranty anymore
Sounds like it's time to go with aftermarket bushings instead of just replacing the arms themselves. I know the SPL bushings will last a looooong time.

Old 04-11-2011 | 09:53 PM
so i had this clunk noise to on my 03 5at had 134k miles on it when i sold it 3 months ago.. at 99k miles i replaced every single suspension part except for my endlinks and the clunk was still there.. it always seemed to get worse when it was wet out too.. i could make it clunk when hitting the brakes real hard too go slow..

so in the mean time i have bought an 07 6spd with only 29kmiles on it and it has the same damn clunk noise.. the service tech here at the nissan dealership swears it the brakes moving and making the clunk noise.. I call bull**** but i know everything is jam tight on my 07.. and i replaced everything( coils, top and lower controls, compression rod..etc all with brand new

Old 04-11-2011 | 09:55 PM
i still got warranty til july and think my passenger hub bearing is goin so i may have them check my compression rod on driver side too. after reading page 7

Old 04-12-2011 | 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Sounds like it's time to go with aftermarket bushings instead of just replacing the arms themselves. I know the SPL bushings will last a looooong time.
yeah i know, i know. When my passenger side goes bad I'll look into them. Didnt SPL just release the new CR bushings this month too??

Old 04-12-2011 | 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
Bingo. This is exactly my symptoms. I made another interesing observation last night .... I can hear a small "thud" when I pulsate the brakes while slowly rolling.. Something is for sure loose.

Is this mounting insulator part of or aka the strut mount?

It could also be a loose top nut, I attempted using a ratchet but it just turns the piston and doesnt tighten the nut. I think I need an air gun.
Originally Posted by crashnburn
so i had this clunk noise to on my 03 5at had 134k miles on it when i sold it 3 months ago.. at 99k miles i replaced every single suspension part except for my endlinks and the clunk was still there.. it always seemed to get worse when it was wet out too.. i could make it clunk when hitting the brakes real hard too go slow..

so in the mean time i have bought an 07 6spd with only 29kmiles on it and it has the same damn clunk noise.. the service tech here at the nissan dealership swears it the brakes moving and making the clunk noise.. I call bull**** but i know everything is jam tight on my 07.. and i replaced everything( coils, top and lower controls, compression rod..etc all with brand new
Can do the same with mine. I've been also thinking if it's my brakes, but I just don't know. I get that clunking noise over bumps, rough road, etc...but I also get it when I hit the brakes, the exact same noise. Hmmm.

Old 04-13-2011 | 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by TOYSTA
Can do the same with mine. I've been also thinking if it's my brakes, but I just don't know. I get that clunking noise over bumps, rough road, etc...but I also get it when I hit the brakes, the exact same noise. Hmmm.
Could be your compression rod(s). I just had my drivers side replaced and the clunking is gone. My front end was also very unstable, I attributed it to my tires, but the new compression rod fixed that too.

Old 04-18-2011 | 01:32 PM
If the noise is actually coming from the top of the strut, would it be the seat (part # 5 in attached pic), mount (part #7), or potentially both? Anyone ever had to replace the seat? Trying to figure out as I'm pretty sure one or the other is bad on my car. Thanks for any help!

Old 04-18-2011 | 03:12 PM
I have clunking in both front and rear. I just tightened nuts on #7 in pics above and the clunking in the front is gone. Didn't get a chance to tighten the rears since you have to take the wheels off. I'll be doing that this weekend when swapping to my summer wheels.

Old 04-18-2011 | 03:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
If the noise is actually coming from the top of the strut, would it be the seat (part # 5 in attached pic), mount (part #7), or potentially both? Anyone ever had to replace the seat? Trying to figure out as I'm pretty sure one or the other is bad on my car. Thanks for any help!

i doubt its #7 i have #5 for sale if your interested.. but i see your from canada so i dont know how shipping works there.

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
i doubt its #7 i have #5 for sale if your interested.. but i see your from canada so i dont know how shipping works there.
Thanks for the offer. I actually ordered some new ones online as I needed other parts too so it made sense to order everything together.

Hopefully replacing part #5 fixes my issue And hoping that I won't be having too many issues removing and putting on the top nut from the strut.

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:39 PM
|
you need spring compressors... thats for sure.

Old 05-01-2011 | 10:21 PM
I will get them from a shop that loans/rents out tools. I'll get my parts next weekend so should give the fix a try in the next few weeks.

Old 05-02-2011 | 03:03 PM
I have metallic clunk/loose feeling when going slowly over the bumps while steering wheel is turned-right side only.
-I have brand new coilovers with pillow ball mounts(no worn out shock mount issue)
-Brand new SB end-link
-Replaced front lower conrol arm bushings-both of them(Whiteline)
-Sway bar is 1 year old and has polyurethane bushings...but I doubt it would clunk at all.
-I have brand new BBK-definitely not a loose caliper or pad.
Everything is checked for tightness/freeplay-all looks OK.

The only thing left is compression rod. I had them replaced about 60-70K km ago-I am at 140K km now. Before I replaced them for the first time, they looked OK and had NO freeplay.
Since I ran out of things to replace, I ordered Energy Suspension compression rod bushings. I expect to put them in in 3 weeks-transit time from US and finding time to do it.
I'll keep you all posted....put your spending on hold for now.

Old 05-07-2011 | 06:14 PM
i had the same clunk noise for a year. finally i found it. it was sway bar endlink ball joint bushing

Old 05-19-2011 | 08:14 PM
Replaced compression rod bushings-just 1 hour of labour. Clunk is gone.
Kit is around $100, but I am going to sell the rest of the kit. Definitely beats replacing entire arm.

I think that on 50K + mileage compression rod bushings should be the first thing to be replaced, then end-links.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: odd front strut noise