G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Vibrations at 75mph...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2005 g35x is in the shop now. I dropped it off yesterday and thus far they've determined that I need new front rotors and that one of my tires is out of balance. I'm getting the front end creaking noise and at speeds over 70 terrible shaking. Also noticed the hood bouncing a little at high speed.

On a side note the dealership gave me a new G25 as a loaner. It has it's good points, but I would take my 2005 if given the choice. In sum, the surfaces feel cheap, the nav is low-res, the engine is zippy but unrefined. Handling and braking are both great.

More to come as I hear more about my car.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update:

For the last few months I have just been dealing with the slight vibrations I still had. Then one day the vibrations either got worse or a new one appeared.

I decided that it was time to try to throw some parts at it. I ordered two compression rod bushings and started the repair. Driver side was all cracked and looked pretty bad. The passenger was not so bad, but I replaced it anyways.

On the test drive I found that the new or worsened vibration was still there. Its hard to say if my original vibrations have been fixed or not.

Currently the vibration still occurs at or around 75 mph. Going straight down the highways its sounds like a driveline related vibration. If i slightly turn the wheel to the right the vibrations is all but gone. If I turn it slightly to the left it is still there.

This makes me thing it could be the wheel bearing. It would have to be the passenger side as I already replaced the driver side. Only thing is that the vibration can be felt in the floor on both sides of the car.

I plan to rotate the tires to see if the vibration moves from front to rear. Could be a tire noise as the tires are showing some signs of wear. Could be tire out of balance. Maybe a front cv joint.

Not sure where to look considering the vibration changes with just the slightest steering input to the right at 75 mph. Nothing happens when i steer to the left.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Have you replaced your front speakers? If you do that and turn the volume up it usually solves the problem.

But seriously, my 06 g35 coupe actually hits a rough spot in NVH around 74-79 on a 5AT with 3.3 FD. I usually cruise around 69-73 for this reason and when the speed limit permits it smooths out at 82. *insert something about engine or driveshaft harmonics here*

Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had this problem with my 04X. Replaced the compression rods on both sides and it got a little better. A month later it got worse. Took it to two shops and was told two different things. Dealer told me it was from all four of my new tires being out of round, all four. So I went to my friends Meineke and he told me it was my driveshaft. Turned out the joints were worn out. New driveshaft and no more shake.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I have yet to replace the front speakers. I did rotate the tires. No luck. I check out the front driveshaft and the joints were nice and tight.

I decided that it was sounding more like a wheel bearing issue, so i went ahead and ordered the part. The strange part was that when the driver side went it was a humming noise as i slowed to a stop. This time around its a vibration and whirling noise at high speed. Strange.

I will keep everyone posted after the repair.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem with my car. Except it doesn't vibrate at high speeds. It shakes. Pretty badly. What would you guys check first? Should I balance my tires?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ Any shakes/vibrating at highway speeds you should get balanced, but not a normal one. Look for High speed Road Force Balance, yes pay the extra money. If done and still have vibrating issues well you can take out wheels and tires. If you do a normal balance you really just dont know since it does not account for many things that the Road force does.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow just came across this thread today and it perfectly desbribes exactly what's going on in my car.

I recently lowered my 2005 G35x with Tein S-Tech springs. Didn't bother to change out the shocks.

A week or so after I lowered my car, I started noticing a bouncier ride and I could feel my suspension bottoming out. I then noticed that my car started leaking some form of oil under my driver's front wheel. Took it into my dealer, and they advised me that my shock was blown.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my car would shake violently on getting onto the highway. I'm having my wheels RoadForce balanced on Friday and will report back with my findings.

I'll be ordering KYB Excel GR-2 shocks for the front and rear this weekend, to have them installed at the dealer next week.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Had my wheels RoadForce balanced yesterday and it made such a difference. Vibration is slightly there, but it's barely noticeable.

Once I re-do my shocks/struts, I'll report back to let you know if that solved the vibration completely.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Problem Solved:

The culprit of the original vibe and headache was in fact the old worn out compression rod bushings. Driver side was cracked. Passenger didnt look bad but replaced anyways.

The newest vibe was caused by a worn out passenger wheel bearing. This was very clear when i disassembled everything. Inner bearing was worn and had rust coming out of it.

After driving the car with both items fixed its like a whole new G. Both repairs were done in my home garage so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Did require a few special tools that i luckily had access to. That said i still wont say you shouldn't try this yourself. Just need a little time and patience.

Thanks to everyone that helped in this thread. There is some good information here and hope this all will help others.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Awesome! Thanx for the info and the follow up on what it was.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I know hat it is had the same problem with my car and after replacing struts and bushings and the vibrashion got even more intense after a month or so I found out I had a bend in my fr wheel and it wa ever so slight of a bend that u would never know unless u wint faster than 70 So I found this guy that did wheel repar and he fixed it for 120 and now no shake at all had the car up to 130mph so far think this is your prob

Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM
7-spd auto, Nav., Loaded
Originally Posted by car12586
Let me start by saying i have done a good amount of searching on this subject. It seems there have been a few people with similar problems on this board, yet few solutions are every posted. So i present my case in hopes that some with similar issues or solutions may step forward and share.

Vehicle is a 2005 G35x with 77k miles. I am currently experiencing vibrations on the highway at 75mph and above. The ride is quite smooth at 70mph but thats were it stops. I haven't tested the upper limit of the vibrations. This is a bit annoying since i commute 100 miles per day. Most vibrations can be felt through the steering wheel.

I have recently replaced my driver front wheel bearing since it started to make noise. This i hoped would fix my vibrations. It did not. Before this i had my tires balanced and rotated. I also hoped this would help. It did not.

I find that if i lift off the throttle slightly i get a more intense vibration, which seems to lessen if i reapply the throttle or completely lift off the throttle. I have also noticed my brakes pulse slightly at highway speeds. This doesnt happen at lower speeds.

My guesses. Could be a front cv shaft. Could be a front steering component. Could be the front brake rotors. I would hate to just start throwing parts at it without some reassurance. I dont believe that it is coming from the back of the vehicle.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any solutions others have found would be even more appreciated. I have a garage full of tools waiting to solve this issue, not a pocket full of money.

Thanks in advance.
Just a thought: I've had the same issues with 2 previous cars: 2007 Mazda3s and 1999 Honda Accord LX. After balancing the tires over & over, Road-force balancing, checking suspension components & wheel bearings, I found I had 2 broken engine mounts in the Mazda, and later 1 in my daughters Accord. In most cases, you cannot see them without accessing them. I'm not saying this IS your problem, but it is a possibility if nothing else works.
Good Luck!