G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

DIY: halogen to HID conversion (ebay lights)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Papa
My lenses are nice and clear but I don't think I would do it again. I'll prob just have my OEM lenses redone or buy a new expensive, overpriced OEM set

How much are they now? $130? If you've already tried Plastx and a refinishing kit, I would say it's prob worth it but not in the long run.

Oh and I don't know if all those ebay headlights are equal in quality so you may have different experiences than I did.
what did you used to seal the headlights back? like what type and brand? silicone i guess right

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to all those flaming about glare and focal points :

While there is truth in what you're saying, this is not the case if the same bulb style is used ie h1 halogen to h1 hid due to the fact that they share the same physical attributes. Glare is typically experienced when the bulb is mismatched with the reflector cup ie converting an h1 halogen housing for use with a d2r bulb. Even worse glare is experienced when one uses a d2s bulb in place of a d2r.

OP

Where did you find the h1 hids and d2r - h1 adapter?

Also you can remove the igniter a whole lot easier if you first remove the reflectors via the two alignment screws and then poping out the pivot ball on the lower inside part... Just fyi

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx
what did you used to seal the headlights back? like what type and brand? silicone i guess right
I used this stuff

Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nlallen141

While there is truth in what you're saying, this is not the case if the same bulb style is used ie h1 halogen to h1 hid due to the fact that they share the same physical attributes. Glare is typically experienced when the bulb is mismatched with the reflector cup ie converting an h1 halogen housing for use with a d2r bulb. Even worse glare is experienced when one uses a d2s bulb in place of a d2r.
Wrong again! Not sure if you know that halogen bulbs are filament based whereas xenons are arc based....completely different! That's why glare is the by product of hid burners in halogen reflectors whether they're the same base (H1) or not!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^While that is true, I've compared a Halogen H1 side-by-side with an H1 HID, and the arc chamber is in exactly the same place as the filament, down to the mm.

And whether or not you're going to have "ricer glare" depends much on the condition of the lenses, and the temperature of the bulbs.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
You'll get ricer glare in the fog lights since they're shared with the highbeam, no glare on the lowbeams though

Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

OP

Where did you find the h1 hids and d2r - h1 adapter?

Also you can remove the igniter a whole lot easier if you first remove the reflectors via the two alignment screws and then poping out the pivot ball on the lower inside part... Just fyi
the adapters came with my headlights when i ordered them because i called the seller and informed them i had factory HIDs so they included a pair... 2 actually so i have an extra set......... but you can search d2r adapter plug on ebay and find them, they range from $10-$30

i was affraid to remove the reflectors n such just in case something went terribly wrong with the new headlights, i would just have to reseal my stock ones to put them back in.. thanks for the heads up tho

i got the HIDs from www.vvme.com

Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does anyone know why the ebay halogen globe headlight wont light up when fitted to an OEM HID 2003 car? wiring loom difference?

where im from, HIDs are illegal... whether theyre factory fitted or not.... so i need the halogens to work

Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
why did you open the headlight for again? to remove the igniter?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
yeah its the only way to get to the 2 screws that hold it in place

Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im still confused.. why not just get an aftermarket HID kit and using that.. too mucch trouble having to open the old one just to take the kit out. you coul dof sold your old lights with the HID kit and go some money back

Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
How could no one else see all that glare going on there? It's ridiculous!

OEM
CutofOEM.jpg?t=1269654080

Not OEM

Attached Thumbnails DIY: halogen to HID conversion (ebay lights)-dscn1254.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
its the quality of picture, i took those pics on an envy 2 or alias cell phone (cant remember), if it would make everyone feel better, i will get some more pics of the same (almost 2yr old now) setup with a newer (HTC Incredible 2) cell phone and see if there is a difference. I will even use the same surface if its still there. I cant believe thats its been this long and people are still bitching about the supposed glare.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gdriver2010
its the quality of picture, i took those pics on an envy 2 or alias cell phone (cant remember), if it would make everyone feel better, i will get some more pics of the same (almost 2yr old now) setup with a newer (HTC Incredible 2) cell phone and see if there is a difference. I will even use the same surface if its still there. I cant believe thats its been this long and people are still bitching about the supposed glare.
Your lights have no cut off at all, how can you claim there is no glare? A new camera is not going to add a cut off line.
Name:  DSCN1257.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  29.2 KB

Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts

While there is truth in what you're saying, this is not the case if the same bulb style is used ie h1 halogen to h1 hid due to the fact that they share the same physical attributes.

Incorrect.

An H1 halogen and an H1 HID are not the same at all. They just share a common base. There is no garantee the point of light emination is the same between the tungsten wire on the Halogen bulb, vs the location of the lighting salts of the HID bulbs. For the bulbs to truely be the same, the light emination points must be identical. If you were to put an H1 halogen and H1 HID bulb next to each other, you would see this is true.

H1 rebased bulbs are NOT a standard light bulb. You won't find OEM's using them, so i seriously doubt that they conform to the same standards as OEM type bulbs. There is a reason why chinese HID's cost $10 for a pair, and OEM's are far more expensive. Due to being cheap bulbs, there is no garantee for any sort of conformity between brands, manufacturers, and lot runs.

HID retrofits are cheap, "hack" kits and deemed illegal for a reason.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: halogen to HID conversion (ebay lights)