G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Squeaking brakes - will switching to non-OEM pads fix?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davetres
You need Anti-Seize grease...

I think you should not put grease on the retainers where the pads slide... Those are stainless and you just need to clean them so the pads can slide properly... Maybe someone with mechanic experience can confirm that since I'm not 100% sure...
Ok cool...I've got some anti-seize.

But yeah, dust buildup seems to be the problem, a couple of sprays of brake cleaner seems to guarantee a squeak-free trip. So even if I do clean & lube everything up again, I still feel like dust buildup will still be a problem & I'd have to continually clean/lube the brakes ever so often....which is the why I started this thread; if switched to ceramic non-OEM pads, will dust be decreased?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
ANYTHING will dust less than the OEM pads, lol. Those were a nightmare to keep clean. Any ceramic pad shouldn't dust much at all. I prefer the Akebono ceramics.

Originally Posted by ridinG
Ok cool...I've got some anti-seize.

But yeah, dust buildup seems to be the problem, a couple of sprays of brake cleaner seems to guarantee a squeak-free trip. So even if I do clean & lube everything up again, I still feel like dust buildup will still be a problem & I'd have to continually clean/lube the brakes ever so often....which is the why I started this thread; if switched to ceramic non-OEM pads, will dust be decreased?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dust is virtually non existent with Akebono pads. I didnt have any dust with Hawk HPS either but it was way too noisy for my liking.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by WhosRich
Dust is virtually non existent with Akebono pads. I didnt have any dust with Hawk HPS either but it was way too noisy for my liking.
I'm gonna go through with the cleaning again, but if that squeaking comes back, I'm buying a set of those pads (ProAct). When I cleaned it last week Sunday, squeaking was back by Tuesday.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How many miles do you have on the rotors? You might have to change those or atleast get them machined too.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
My OEM pads sequel a occasionally, but the dealer used Anti size which is why they sqeel a bit lol.

Ill live with it.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
My OEM pads sequel a occasionally, but the dealer used Anti size which is why they sqeel a bit lol.

Ill live with it.
Don't understand-they squeal because they used anti-seize?

But this is not an occasional squeak - it's a constant squeak that will not go away and gets worse (e.g., I can hear it from 0mph all the way up to about 40mph when not braking). Not that I bought this car new but it sounds worse than my old '95 Corolla and I was horrible with maintenance on that car.

Originally Posted by WhosRich
How many miles do you have on the rotors? You might have to change those or atleast get them machined too.
The pads & rotors were replaced at 75k (based on dealership records)....car is around 92k now.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
---
It sounds like you guys are talking about noise when braking? The noise I have is without braking at low speed, or at very light braking. It's just a recurring squeak that I hear when the wheel hits a certain point in its 360 degree revolution. Follows wheel speed. So if I'm at a stop and then the light turns green and I accelerate, I hear:
squeak..................squeak............squeak.. ......squeak.....squeak...squeak..squeak..sq.sq.sq .sq.sq...etc.
Lol, hey I have the same problem. Any solution to this? Damn I just posted a thread on this.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can hear it from 0mph all the way up to about 40mph when not braking.
Messages #22 and #23 sound more like something dragging on the backing plate.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by albert3029
Lol, hey I have the same problem. Any solution to this? Damn I just posted a thread on this.
Well right now the train of thought is that it's dust buildup. I was supposed clean & lube everything again last weekend but it was too nice out on Sunday to work on my car. A quick fix for me is just to spray down the rotors & calipers with brake cleaner...this only takes away the squeaking for a single trip though.

Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
Messages #22 and #23 sound more like something dragging on the backing plate.
Backing plate of the brake pad?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Dropping off the car at the dealer for warranty work for fuel gauge problem, so may ask them to take a look at it. This is driving me insane, I'm forced to turn up the volume on my radio so I won't have to hear it.

Last edited by albert3029; 04-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by albert3029
Dropping off the car at the dealer for warranty work for fuel gauge problem, so may ask them to take a look at it. This is driving me insane, I'm forced to turn up the volume on my radio so I won't have to hear it.
Let me know what they say....my dealership told me that what I was hearing was normal.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Found out that my e-brake was loose and cracked, e-brake hardware was rusted out so replaced with new kit. Squeak is gone while driving but when I brake I still hear like a slight grind with squeak.
Shop that did the work said that the rear rotors are really rusted out and could be why I hear a grind, they tried to clean some of it off or it can be the new e-brake pad.

Wondering, is the e-brake self adjusting? Because is like non-existing when I press it down. It was a lot harder prior to the new e-brake kit, shop said that it will take a few days to adjust. Really don't buy this.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I did a thorough cleansing & lubrication of the brakes again. Same thing - was squeak-free for about a whole week, but it's back now.

Time for some new ceramic brakes

Old 05-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Everything in the world has been recommended but ?
the nissan / infiniti hardware kit lol, that is made just for squeaking brakes.

make sure you have 2 shims on front and rear brake pads or you will squeak backing up also. main problem with g35's are the shims sliding over the rivet on the ends of the pads.
thats 90% of g35 brake issues. any brake pad without the nissan hardware kits seem to make some kinda noise. just spead the $45 on the hardware / shim kit
also imo for the money beck arnley sells the best daily driver pads and rotors.

Last edited by jumper75; 05-15-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes - will switching to non-OEM pads fix?