G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Squeaking brakes - will switching to non-OEM pads fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Squeaking brakes - will switching to non-OEM pads fix?

My brakes were squeaking pretty badly at low speed and light braking, so I lubed everything up, using a very generous amount of lube. Between the pad & shim, the back of the shims, the caliper surfaces that touch the shims, etc...

Squeaking was gone for 2 days. Now it's back. I guess it really is just because of build-up of dust. I'm brake-dumb, but supposedly the OEM pads are hard & dust a lot - so I'm thinking just switch to low-dust pads and that annoying squeak will go away.

Is there anyone who has first hand experience where all they did was go from OEM pads (that squeaked a lot) to some non-OEM and the squeaks were eliminated? Which pads am I looking for? I don't care about performance, all I want is the noise to go away!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I had an 04 6mt sedan before and I switched to the hawk pads. If I remember correctly it was the hps and had no noise. But they weren't terribly noisy before I made the switch, i mainly wanted to cut down on dust and stop chewing up rotors. Hawk also has one specifically made for quieter operation. And it did work, cut down on dust a lot, and rotors didn't wear as bad.

Last edited by ACFD835; 04-05-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
from my experience for less noise you will want to stay away from semi metallic pads. you might trade less noise for more dust. also how do the rotors look? rusting on inside or outside?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by ACFD835
I had an 04 6mt sedan before and I switched to the hawk pads. If I remember correctly it was the hps and had no noise. But they weren't terribly noisy before I made the switch, i mainly wanted to cut down on dust and stop chewing up rotors. Hawk also has one specifically made for quieter operation. And it did work, cut down on dust a lot, and rotors didn't wear as bad.

Originally Posted by Sonicbounce17
from my experience for less noise you will want to stay away from semi metallic pads. you might trade less noise for more dust. also how do the rotors look? rusting on inside or outside?

---
It sounds like you guys are talking about noise when braking? The noise I have is without braking at low speed, or at very light braking. It's just a recurring squeak that I hear when the wheel hits a certain point in its 360 degree revolution. Follows wheel speed. So if I'm at a stop and then the light turns green and I accelerate, I hear:
squeak..................squeak............squeak.. ......squeak.....squeak...squeak..squeak..sq.sq.sq .sq.sq...etc.

Last edited by ridinG; 04-06-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Check your calipers slidding pins to see if they are clean and greased...

And use the right grease made for this application if you need it..

I had a seized caliper and was making that squeak noise and worned out only one pad of the two cause the caliper pins were not sliding well!

Last edited by davetres; 04-07-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
^What he said. Since your brakes are making noise without braking, I doubt it's just the pads. When you lubed the pads and shims did you clean the pad retainers and make sure they are seated properly?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Here's the thing, I can spray down the front wheels with some brake cleaner (before I leave for work) and the brakes are squeak-free...but it's back by the time I get to work (about a 30 mile drive). That's why I was thinking brake dust was the culprit.

Originally Posted by davetres
Check your calipers slidding pins to see if they are clean and greased...

And use the right grease made for this application if you need it..

I had a ceased caliper and was making that squeak noise and worned out only one pad of the two cause the caliper pins were not sliding well!
I did not deal with the slide pins. I guess I'll try to attack those this weekend. As far as the right grease, what I've been using is "high temperature caliper grease"...I can use this on the slide pins or no?

Originally Posted by MikeDG
^What he said. Since your brakes are making noise without braking, I doubt it's just the pads. When you lubed the pads and shims did you clean the pad retainers and make sure they are seated properly?
Yup, cleaned those good; they were secure on the torque member and greased up too.

Originally Posted by Sonicbounce17
All the rotors I've ever had have shown rust in the center (where the holes are for the wheel studs) and circumference. The pad shims were a little rusty as well, and the piston of the caliper actually makes an indentation in the shims that rusted out.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd take it all apart again, spray down the calipers and rotors with brake cleaner and go to town on it with wire brushes.

My brakes were squealing when stopping at signs and at red lights. When I changed up my pads and lines, I made sure to clean everything and use CRC brake disc quiet on the pads. Now everything is smooth and quiet.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
^ Did you stick with OEM pads though?

A pic of one side before I started:

Last edited by ridinG; 04-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the other member that suggested the sliding pins. If it's squeaking when you aren't even on the brake, that's the likely culprit a seized caliper sliding pin/bolt.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope, I havent had oem pads on my car in years. With all that rust around the calipers/rotors/pads, I'm not surprised that its squealing.

Also, I dont think the calipers are seized. If they were, you wouldnt be hearing squealing. It would sound more like a subway. A screeching or grinding noise more than a squeal.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It might not be the entire caliper that's seized but if one of the pins is not sliding properly, it will cause low speed squealing.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by WhosRich
Nope, I havent had oem pads on my car in years. With all that rust around the calipers/rotors/pads, I'm not surprised that its squealing.

Also, I dont think the calipers are seized. If they were, you wouldnt be hearing squealing. It would sound more like a subway. A screeching or grinding noise more than a squeal.
Originally Posted by liljohnny
It might not be the entire caliper that's seized but if one of the pins is not sliding properly, it will cause low speed squealing.
--
Just to make sure we're on the same page...I'm more hearing a squeak...for maybe only a quarter turn of the wheel vs. a squeal which I associate as a constant noise heard during braking. And I feel "screech" is synonymous with "squeak".

And with all the dust shown, wouldn't that be caused by the pads themselves?

I guess I'll go to town again as suggested with a wire brush and on the sliding pins. Might just take the whole torque member off this time. I was quick last time because the car wasn't on stands....didn't know where to jack the car up from safely if the stand goes on the tab (and my jack can't reach that nub in the front-center).

Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Might be worth picking up a floor Jack. Especially if you are going to be doing work yourself, it makes it a lot easier to get it up high enough to get the car on the stands, and really they're not that expensive.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM
I did not deal with the slide pins. I guess I'll try to attack those this weekend. As far as the right grease, what I've been using is "high temperature caliper grease"...I can use this on the slide pins or no?
You need Anti-Seize grease...

I think you should not put grease on the retainers where the pads slide... Those are stainless and you just need to clean them so the pads can slide properly... Maybe someone with mechanic experience can confirm that since I'm not 100% sure...

Last edited by davetres; 04-07-2011 at 03:04 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes - will switching to non-OEM pads fix?