Other
59.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

I need help deciding on coils

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
BC racing Coils all the way, if you really want something comfortable then Tenabe has some very nice coils but they are more expensive.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Those are $1000 new (or 800 used)

Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Yes, those are mine but they aren't 11/10. Stance offers different spring rates for a few of their coil setups. IIRC, they even offer a custom rates for extra cash monies

The following users liked this post:
NFSP G35 (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
None of those. I am actually looking into BC racing right now. Might get them as early as January.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
^Same spring rates as the standard rate on the BCs.
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
BC racing Coils all the way, if you really want something comfortable then Tenabe has some very nice coils but they are more expensive.
This, I'd go with BC on a budget.

Tanabe 5 or 7 are nice choices but is gonna cost more than a thousand.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
Originally Posted by dofu

Tanabe 5 or 7 are nice choices but is gonna cost more than a thousand.
Ash let me say that I am proud of you, finally taking the plunge!! Here is my opinion if it means anything (and it better biatch )

If I were in your shoes and ATM price was the most important factor here, I'd go with the Pirate/MDUs. Cheap initial outlay, full adjustability including dampening, and the option of going as low as you want. You might not think it now, but riding dirty is definitely an addiction. My car is as low as is feasible for me to be able to use as a DD but I find myself wanting just another 1/4 to 1/2" drop from time to time. Use these as introductory coils to let you get that drop you need and to experience what coils offer. You might be happy with them long term but you won't know that until they're on the car.

After you buy them start saving whatever money you can along the way with the intention of having money down the road earmarked for a "better" set if the MDUs don't satisfy you. I actually pay a "bill" each month which is actually my mod fund. I have been very vocal that comfort was my #1 need in a set of coils so I did a sh!tload of research and picked the Tanabe Pro 5s and am very pleased with them. Yes I could have spent over $2000 to get a more expensive set but that was out of the budget I set for myself. They were less than $1200 new and I have ridden in countless cars on coils and these are far and above the most "comfortable" coils I have experienced. The only drawback is they don't allow me to slam the ride which is a sacrifice I knew I would have to make when I bought them so I'm OK with that. I did somehow manage to get a 3" drop even though they only advertise ~ a 1.5" drop so that's cool.

If you get the MDUs and aren't super happy with them then you can sell them for probably 60-70% of what you paid for them in a year or less so you'd only be out a couple of hundred bucks AND you would have been driving for 12 months with a decent drop. I would try and stay with the softest springs you can find but I wouldn't go under 8K/6K or you won't be able to autox effectively. My Tanabes are 10/8 for comparison's sake. Remember that a coilover can have 9 million levels of adjustability in the dampening but if your on stiff azz springs the ride will never be close to stock which is what I'm guessing you're looking for. If you saved $75/month for 12 months and could sell your MDUs for $300 at that point you have $1200 and could upgrade to something like the Pro 5s. All the while enjoying being on your first set of coils. IMHO don't cheap out on the Basics, you won't be happy with them as has been mentioned in this thread multiple times.

Hope this makes sense and helps you decide. PM me if you have any other questions.

The following users liked this post:
NFSP G35 (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by G35Papa
Yes, those are mine but they aren't 11/10. Stance offers different spring rates for a few of their coil setups. IIRC, they even offer a custom rates for extra cash monies
^Aaahhhhh I see. Good to know.

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Ash let me say that I am proud of you, finally taking the plunge!! Here is my opinion if it means anything (and it better biatch )

If I were in your shoes and ATM price was the most important factor here, I'd go with the Pirate/MDUs. Cheap initial outlay, full adjustability including dampening, and the option of going as low as you want. You might not think it now, but riding dirty is definitely an addiction. My car is as low as is feasible for me to be able to use as a DD but I find myself wanting just another 1/4 to 1/2" drop from time to time. Use these as introductory coils to let you get that drop you need and to experience what coils offer. You might be happy with them long term but you won't know that until they're on the car.

After you buy them start saving whatever money you can along the way with the intention of having money down the road earmarked for a "better" set if the MDUs don't satisfy you. I actually pay a "bill" each month which is actually my mod fund. I have been very vocal that comfort was my #1 need in a set of coils so I did a sh!tload of research and picked the Tanabe Pro 5s and am very pleased with them. Yes I could have spent over $2000 to get a more expensive set but that was out of the budget I set for myself. They were less than $1200 new and I have ridden in countless cars on coils and these are far and above the most "comfortable" coils I have experienced. The only drawback is they don't allow me to slam the ride which is a sacrifice I knew I would have to make when I bought them so I'm OK with that. I did somehow manage to get a 3" drop even though they only advertise ~ a 1.5" drop so that's cool.

If you get the MDUs and aren't super happy with them then you can sell them for probably 60-70% of what you paid for them in a year or less so you'd only be out a couple of hundred bucks AND you would have been driving for 12 months with a decent drop. I would try and stay with the softest springs you can find but I wouldn't go under 8K/6K or you won't be able to autox effectively. My Tanabes are 10/8 for comparison's sake. Remember that a coilover can have 9 million levels of adjustability in the dampening but if your on stiff azz springs the ride will never be close to stock which is what I'm guessing you're looking for. If you saved $75/month for 12 months and could sell your MDUs for $300 at that point you have $1200 and could upgrade to something like the Pro 5s. All the while enjoying being on your first set of coils. IMHO don't cheap out on the Basics, you won't be happy with them as has been mentioned in this thread multiple times.

Hope this makes sense and helps you decide. PM me if you have any other questions.
^TL/DR.

Just kidding

Great post Tim
From reading Tony's posts (twalls) in the MDU review thread, I'm thinking I'll probably be happy with those for quite a while.
And the ability to choose between OEM style and true coilover setup gives me much broader options than the basics that run OEM only.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^TL/DR.
lol you little fvcker.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Screw that, just save and get the Tanabe Pro 5s or if you can, 7s with a helper spring... I've been eyeing those suspensions since before they came out. If Tanabe was easier to work with back then, I would have had a set of 7s instead of the JICs. The JICs were ok btw... handled nice and was comfy, but I've always felt the springs were too soft.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
So if you dont want to go to low why not just get springs?

Oh and I vote F&F. Love mine.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts
I would say BC Racing or Stance LX. I love my BCs. You can get mutiple spring options and 30 way damping allows to you to get exactly the ride you want. Love mine. when getting installed, a Z owner like the design so much, he bought a set on the spot B2 tends to have the best price for BC.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
We sell BCs =DDD

12 is FREAKEN STIFF.. I have 12/12 on my G and I actually got back pains the first week with it.. eventually got use to it..

The only thine useful about 12 spring rate is if you condition your seats nice and smooth and take a girlie with a skirt out for a ride.. that **** will be up to her waist by the time you get down the block lol.. (seriously.. lol) aside from that I would go back to 10/8 in a heart beat of i wasnt a cheap A$$

Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
? = 2B || !2B

So, just to be clear, you guys are recommending I stay on 350z suspension that's now at 80,000mi for the next year or two (which puts it at 92-110k mi) while I justify the extra cost...

Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi, when you decide what to use and what you really can afford be certain that coilovers are the better suspension parts.
The various adjustments on coilovers will always keep yor riding how you choose in so many different ways.

Do you hear the $520 pirates/MDU/ Ebay are screaming at you, again and again? They did to my e-commerce trigger finger and now I'm fine with my choice.

Especially if you provide your own methodical labor to install the suspension parts, as I have done.

Otherwise this is important, if you need to pay high dollar labor then the warranting and financial "advantage" of the quality pirates/MDU kit diminishes. The pressure to spend on higher dollar parts becomes commensurate to the total cost of the project.

Only now, I can confirm to you that the pirates coilovers ride quality is correct for stiffness balanced against comfort. I have fenders rolled and flush fit 19's acting against these struts the past 3 days. I like em a lot.
I wish you could drive the modified sedan but I'm 5 hours north of you. I'd be interested in your impression as a fence sitting shopper.

I can encourage further, if you respect my judgement.
1) You will not have any regrets on strength of materials of these parts for your southern car for as DD.
2) The MDU spring rates (or any other brand) of 10K/7K are very well balance for G35 sedan DD+ sport level experience. Any stiffer spring selection tips towards track-like expectations over comfort.
3) Sounds like you have riders. The spring rate and dampening at about 70% range stiffness IS a "tight OEM" like ride. It is not teeth jarring in any measure, noisy (unless it is the wheel/tire selected) or harsh. The steering is tight. The 2" drop of the sedan body is noticeable and does keep my driving spontanity in check (driveways, speed bumps).
My wife even liked the rides she had this week in the modified sedan. She knows the suspension effects because she drives IS250 last 3 years which is "tight" in a similar way my sedan coilovers. Just that those lexus cars having steering that feels lighter and overall lighter ride than our sedans.

Last edited by toro12; 06-18-2011 at 12:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by toro12:
Illuminati (07-06-2011), NFSP G35 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^Thanks dude. I was wondering if you'd find this thread

PM me your number. I'm up in ATL every once in a while, and if I'm that way again soon, I'll have to see if I can meet you somewhere for a ride.
Wish I would have thought about that sooner (or noticed your location) I went through there on my way to and from Zdayz just last month.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need help deciding on coils