G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Exhaust on 03 G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust on 03 G

Today I had a straight pipe put on the G with the stock muffler, but now it's a little more than I expected. Everyone has asked if my car is turbo or supercharged. I need ideas for exhuast that sounds good but is not to loud. Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Coupe mid-pipe.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm waiting for the the Megan exhaust to get back in stock for my X. Check it out.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
Coupe mid-pipe.

What years in a coupe mid pipe will work? Will it bolt right up or does it have to be extended a little?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by drkay
I'm waiting for the the Megan exhaust to get back in stock for my X. Check it out.

How good is the quality of Megan exhaust?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlux-03
What years in a coupe mid pipe will work? Will it bolt right up or does it have to be extended a little?
Bolt up.

I think 03-07 I can't remember when coupes change models

Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends what you are trying to achieve...

Yesterday I had a 22" MagnaPack muffler (Magnaflow Part # 10436) welded in place of the stock '04 G Sedan's resonator. Done at Japtrix.

It is louder than stock but softer and deeper than the coupe. Another member of this forum described it as a "gentleman's exhaust". At times, for a second, I hear a "whistle/whine" when letting off the gass after a sharp/brief rev. Occasionally there is VERY QUIET "pop"...maybe it's breaking in...but I hope it does NOT go away =D. It's a "luxury" car with very acceptable tone.

As follows:
Acceleration -- burble
WOT -- aggressive burble, progressively louder (smoothly), puts smile on my face
Below ~1600 RPM @ cruising -- A little exhaust humm. DOES NOT hamper conversation and you won't hear it much with soft music on.
Above ~1600 RPM @ cruising -- I changed my exhaust? When did this happen? What's drone? =) I don't hear anything...a baby can fall asleep in the backseat.

Currently, I only have K&N drop-in, Z-tube, 5/16 MD Copper Iso, and SxExCx's grounding kit. Welding this in is only a "tie-over" for me until I am ready to revamp the exhaust system entirely.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rajen

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
Bolt up.

I think 03-07 I can't remember when coupes change models

Thanks! I think I figured out why my exhuast is so loud. The owner before me took out the OEM cats and put gutted cats in. Tomorrow I'm going to get OEM cats put back on my car for now. I have been told by Infiniti & by the shop that OEM cats will tone down my sound a lot. But is that really true?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
It will make a big difference in sound with oem cats.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Rajen
Depends what you are trying to achieve...

Yesterday I had a 22" MagnaPack muffler (Magnaflow Part # 10436) welded in place of the stock '04 G Sedan's resonator. Done at Japtrix.

It is louder than stock but softer and deeper than the coupe. Another member of this forum described it as a "gentleman's exhaust". At times, for a second, I hear a "whistle/whine" when letting off the gass after a sharp/brief rev. Occasionally there is VERY QUIET "pop"...maybe it's breaking in...but I hope it does NOT go away =D. It's a "luxury" car with very acceptable tone.

As follows:
Acceleration -- burble
WOT -- aggressive burble, progressively louder (smoothly), puts smile on my face
Below ~1600 RPM @ cruising -- A little exhaust humm. DOES NOT hamper conversation and you won't hear it much with soft music on.
Above ~1600 RPM @ cruising -- I changed my exhaust? When did this happen? What's drone? =) I don't hear anything...a baby can fall asleep in the backseat.

Currently, I only have K&N drop-in, Z-tube, 5/16 MD Copper Iso, and SxExCx's grounding kit. Welding this in is only a "tie-over" for me until I am ready to revamp the exhaust system entirely.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rajen

Thanks for the information. I'm looking for the stock sound but a little louder. I hope when the OEM cats are back on tomorrow it tones it down just like i would want it.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by ryanm8
It will make a big difference in sound with oem cats.
Thanks! I wanted to make sure that it would before i did it. Right now I have to much in cabin noise and needs to be toned down.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlux-03
Thanks for the information. I'm looking for the stock sound but a little louder. I hope when the OEM cats are back on tomorrow it tones it down just like i would want it.
It will tone down, but with the straight pipe welded in it will most likely have a lot of drone. Read this thread: "droning after removing pre-muffler......". Type this into google for more information: "site:g35driver.com sedan glasspack". It was said 14"-18" produced a bit too much drone, hence my decsion amongst many others to go with the 22".

If you do decide to go this route there are aluminized and stainless steel resonators/mufflers/glasspacks. You will pay a bit more for SS, but it should be worth it...generally speaking.

GL,
Rajen

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
HKS sport exhuast, its bolt on, and sounds amazing, not to loud not to quiet.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by G35SedanGrn
HKS sport exhuast, its bolt on, and sounds amazing, not to loud not to quiet.
I have heard some HKS exhuast but not to many. Is there any site with a good sound clip with it on a G? I'm looking into lookig into Stillen generation 2 cat-back exhaust system, but HKS would be a good one to look into.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rajen
It will tone down, but with the straight pipe welded in it will most likely have a lot of drone. Read this thread: "droning after removing pre-muffler......". Type this into google for more information: "site:g35driver.com sedan glasspack". It was said 14"-18" produced a bit too much drone, hence my decsion amongst many others to go with the 22".

If you do decide to go this route there are aluminized and stainless steel resonators/mufflers/glasspacks. You will pay a bit more for SS, but it should be worth it...generally speaking.

GL,
Rajen

What I plan on doing is putting the OEM cats on in the morning and drive it around the shop. If it does have a lot of droning in the cabin still I'm going to have the stock piece go back in and do more research on Stillen & HKS and any other good option out there. I don't really want to have to put it back on but I can't take the in cabin noise. I agree with the thread you sent me it has to be something with the sedans being longer that we end up with so much droning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust on 03 G