G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Buying 2006 G35x - Questions about replacing fluids.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying 2006 G35x - Questions about replacing fluids.

Sorry in advance if this has already been asked or the info is available elsewhere. I am at work and just wanted to post to get some responses and didn't have the time this minute to look for answers in too much detail.

I'm about to buy a 2006 G35x sedan. It is automatic and has 76.5k miles on it. I don't believe the tranny fluid has ever been changed. Also, do I have to worry about having transmission problems if I replace it at this point?

Should I change it, if so, what should I use? How often do you guys change yours and what is your recommendation?

Also, do I need to worry about my differential fluids?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by mawsoccer
Sorry in advance if this has already been asked or the info is available elsewhere. I am at work and just wanted to post to get some responses and didn't have the time this minute to look for answers in too much detail.

I'm about to buy a 2006 G35x sedan. It is automatic and has 76.5k miles on it. I don't believe the tranny fluid has ever been changed. Also, do I have to worry about having transmission problems if I replace it at this point?

Should I change it, if so, what should I use? How often do you guys change yours and what is your recommendation?

Also, do I need to worry about my differential fluids?

Thanks!
Unless you have paperwork saying these fluids were changed, I would go ahead and do a mini service yourself. It won't cost too much but will give you a nice piece of mind.

IIRC tranny fluid is supposed to be replaced every 30K. Seems like their are two schools of thought, either a drain and fill (exactly what was drained, which is what I did) or a flush. Just be sure to use Matic J (which is now Matic S.)

Same thing with the Front & Rear differentials (80W-90, your pick on brand.) You will also want to change out the transfer case (Matic D), power steering fluid (Nissan PSF or similar), change the coolant and brake fluid (DOT 3.)

Edit: Will also want to inspect the air filter and in-cabin filter.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i think transmission and transfer case is 60k and front and rear diffs are 30k. For sure 100% on the 30k for the front and rear diffs.

Most cars on the road never get their AT fluids taken care of so i see dont see harm in doing drain and fills. It takes about 3-4 quarts. ilv2xlr8 hit everything on the head. I'm all for using nissan fluids only when the price is comparable to aftermarket.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know i had a bit of bad luck in the past with my other cars , when i drained and filled the tranny , the tranny was shot afterward, I must say it wasnt an infiniti it was a honda, which led to me purchasining my infiniti.
My suggestion is , b4 you pull it off the lot whileyou are still negotioating , have the seller do that maintenance for you and pending that outcome buy the car if its fkd they have to fix it !!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've done two drain and fills without incident so far...85K miles.

I plan on doing a 3rd by 100K

Differentials are easy to change the fluid in. Just get a good pump that screws onto the bottle. You can change the diffs and transfer case in a couple hours. I used Mobil 1 syn gear oil for the diffs and mobil 1 syn ATF for the transfer case

For the trans, i used Matic-S. Check ebay as there are a few sellers who sell them for cheaper than dealer cost...even with shipping. Typically i need 4 quarts per drain/fill

Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I

Differentials are easy to change the fluid in. Just get a good pump that screws onto the bottle. You can change the diffs and transfer case in a couple hours. I used Mobil 1 syn gear oil for the diffs and mobil 1 syn ATF for the transfer case

agreed. Mobil 1 in the diffs, redline D4 in the t-case. maxlife in the ATF.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone know of DIYs on changing diff/tranny case fluids? Or can this be found in the factory service manual? I have 58k on my X and would like to do this.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Its like an oil change. you dont really need a DIY. just gotta find the locations of the fill and drain plugs. You dont need to pull anything off, other then the front sheild like a normal oil change.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I got a full service record from its original dealer. Tranny was changed by the dealer at 61K miles. Should be good for a long while.

acr - Try this link: http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/e...nsimission.htm

Someone else told me about it and it looks really helpful.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by acr
Anyone know of DIYs on changing diff/tranny case fluids? Or can this be found in the factory service manual? I have 58k on my X and would like to do this.
The FSM is what I used. As Turtle said, it's pretty self explanatory. I did have an issue with the rear diff drain plug, it was somehow rusted and it wouldn't budge at all so just take a peek at that stuff. I also had an issue with the transfer case. I ended up swapping out most of the fill/drain plugs as well. It may be considered excessive to some but IIRC it says to do so in the FSM.

Edit: Apparently I swapped out the fill/drain plugs because I was worried the others would give me issues. The FSM only says not to re-use gaskets.

Last edited by ilv2xlr8; 07-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
The FSM is what I used. As Turtle said, it's pretty self explanatory. I did have an issue with the rear diff drain plug, it was somehow rusted and it wouldn't budge at all so just take a peek at that stuff. I also had an issue with the transfer case. I ended up swapping out most of the fill/drain plugs as well. It may be considered excessive to some but IIRC it says to do so in the FSM.
that sucks. I know they are hard to get off, gotta use 1/2 breaker bars and a good tap.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that drain plug for the diff gets quite stuck despite a low torque. The fill plug breaks loose very easily as you'd expect it to. I just did my diff fluid a couple weeks ago and my car has 125k, I had to use a breaker bar for the drain plug.

Someone mentioned the FSM saying to replace all the drain plugs. That's not necessary, what you do replace are the gaskets on each one. Not sure about the transfer case because I don't have an X, but I expect that's the same.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM
After you do them the first time, you can do all 3 in maybe an hour.

I did mine @50K, but I might do it again because it's so east to do.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
that sucks. I know they are hard to get off, gotta use 1/2 breaker bars and a good tap.
It did suck and I didn't want to try for too long and ruin the plug somehow so I got new ones and took it over to PX. Hopefully next time I won't have an issue.

Originally Posted by jimNC
Yeah that drain plug for the diff gets quite stuck despite a low torque. The fill plug breaks loose very easily as you'd expect it to. I just did my diff fluid a couple weeks ago and my car has 125k, I had to use a breaker bar for the drain plug.

Someone mentioned the FSM saying to replace all the drain plugs. That's not necessary, what you do replace are the gaskets on each one. Not sure about the transfer case because I don't have an X, but I expect that's the same.
That was me. I edited my original post after yours. I replaced them because I didn't want rust issues in the future. Also replaced the gasket too.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Anti-seize is your friend. Invest in a bottle and use it on any and all threads.

Next time you go to remove said bolt....MUCH easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying 2006 G35x - Questions about replacing fluids.