G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 waxed with Turtle Wax "Black Box"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
G35 waxed with Turtle Wax "Black Box"

A few weeks back while at Advance Auto, I noticed a Turtle Wax product called "Black Box". Amusing name for sure. It's a polish/wax kit specifically made for black cars. I've really never tried Turtle Wax products before, but according to my Old Man, he said Turtle Wax ranked some of the best in terms of clarity, depth, and duration in a recent Consumer Reports test. The Black Box includes a polish/cleaner, carnuba wax, and detail spray. The polish and wax is black and the detail spray is a clear black. The apparent advantage to the system is that instread of drying white in all the pits and light swirls, etc. it drys black or dark gray.

My G35 is black and the car is approaching 9 years on the road. I clay bar, polish, and wax the car in the spring and usually do a polish/wax in fall. I wash the car maybe once every 7 to 10 days. The finish is good, but it does have 10 years on it. I figured I'd give this Black Box kit a try.

I washed my car, then did the clay bar, and then on to the Black Box. According to the directions, you apply the polish/cleaner, let it haze, then remove with the detail spray. Screw that. It sounds messy. I applied and removed it with my $30 random ordital and didn't use the detail spray. Even though it was humid out (I was working in the shade of a tree), the product applied easily, hazed fairly quickly, and was easy to remove.

I have to admit, my car has never looked so good. We'll have to see how well it lasts and holds, but I do have say for just using a basic RO, it worked as advertized. Finally, this is last freaking black car I'll ever own. I don't like having a car that behaves like a mirror. You can never photograph them well, they show every imperfection, and they're a pain to keep clean.

Here are some totally unprofessional cell phone pics:

Side showing the reflection of my wife's car in the G

Another reflection pic

The hood (which is always the hardest to get depth into) showing the garage ceiling ceiling

Close up of the hood showing the detailed reflection of our fabulous popcorn ceiling in the garage

Da Black Box

Nappy direct sunlight pictures

The following users liked this post:
MikeDG (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wow, nice. I would have liked to see some before pics for comparison. I might have to try this... My car is black as well

Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet...

Try Nu Finish next time. You might like it just as much.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ Nu finish sucks

DaveB colored waxes are bogous, you are putting stuff on clearcoat not color coat. The waxes in the blackbox only seem to last a short few weeks.

My car looks exactly like yours does just with Nxt 2.0 Wax, Meguiars came out with a new one Ultimate wax which is even better.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 08-03-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
wow nice looks awesome

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on not wanting another black car. I had a '89 240SX that was black and I loved it - and nothing, NOTHING looks better than black when it is perfect. But it has to be perfect or it looks bad, hence your obsession.

A lot easier to keep my 03 Platinum sedan looking great vs. the black 240SX. I use the Klasse twins, but I do like the NXT wax as a garden variety product. In fact I use that between Klasse treatments.

The other day I saw an 03 Platinum sedan in the parking lot of a grocery store that looked better than mine .. which is very rare for me to see. I was gonna hang around to see who owned it, but I figured it was a geezer or someone's 3rd car - and I wouldn't want to talk to either. I know it had very low mileage based on the condition of the black trim around the underside of the car. Mine has 125k and since I actually work for a living that black underside takes a beating from the NC sun.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
^ Nu finish sucks

I guess your opinion matters?

My cars all look as good with Nu Finish as they do after every other wax job.
Nu Finish just lasts twice as long and cost three times less.

So I guess you are right... It must suck.

Maybe you should try it, at least once before passing judgement?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
I guess your opinion matters?

My cars all look as good with Nu Finish as they do after every other wax job.
Nu Finish just lasts twice as long and cost three times less.

So I guess you are right... It must suck.

Maybe you should try it, at least once before passing judgement?
Nu Finish is not a wax, its a polish. It does not protect your paint as well. It just beads liquids. I rather have Wax which has UV inhibitors and adds depth and gloss to my paint as well as beading liquids.

Nufinish might look better on unprepared surfaces as its made for that. NXT 2.0 is jut wax you will need to buy ColorX and Clay then Apply NXT 2.0. Your paint will be in much better condition is you use a 3 steps then just NuFinish.

Since my car and most cars here are taken care off and not neglected. an Actual wax will be better such as NXT 2.0 or the new Ultimate Wax.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 08-03-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
+1 on the black box i have used it once with a great result. it also fixed a bunch of the little rock chips i had on my front bumper.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
DaveB colored waxes are bogous, you are putting stuff on clearcoat not color coat. The waxes in the blackbox only seem to last a short few weeks.

My car looks exactly like yours does just with Nxt 2.0 Wax, Meguiars came out with a new one Ultimate wax which is even better.
I wouldn't say this particular product is bogus. The clear on car is in great shape as is the paint. I've got a random orbital buffer that is used to apply and remove my cleaners, polishes, and waxes. What I like about this product is that the material drys gray/black which helps conceal chips, shallow scratches, and swirl marks. Regular polish and wax fills these imperfections with white residue which looks awful on a black car. The wax and polish itself gives no more depth or shine than the Nxt stuff I've been using for years. The advantage is the concealment of the imperfections. This stuff goes on and comes off just as easily as any of my Meguiars products. It's been about 6 or 7 weeks now and the car still looks great.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I think your car came out very good for black and I honestly may just try this on my dads pickup truck. I am too lazy to polish it....

Idk, I am just spoiled by good products though. I don't buy a single thing off the shelf anymore... I like when my customer's car look like this.

But thats with the scratches removed and not just filled. Like I said, I spoiled myself by trying something off line and joining detailing forums...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Since my cars a daily drivers, I don't see much need to spend the cash on the more expensive detailing gear like you get from Autogeek and such unless I was a professional detailer and people were paying $300+ per car. I do need to get some Iron X though. That stuff is amazing for cleaning rims and those weird rust dots that get stuck in some lighter paint finishes.

I'll do my best knock down minor scratches with my RO and 3M polishing compound, but I'm not going to loose sleep over minor imperfections. Swirl marks are easy to remove with just a little polishing. I did order some Dr. Color Chip paint for my G (sand blasted Aero bumper) and wife's Outback after the stellar results with my Dad's gray Sienna.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Even just the quality waxes (I like P21s, which is $32. Not ridiculous and usually lasts 2+ summers...) do a much better job than the OTC stuff. Much deeper, and better protecting. That is generally what I mean lol. I mean, yea, a good polish and a buffer does wonders, but quality waxes are just.... so much better than OTC waxes.