G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

do I need new brake lines?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do I need new brake lines?

I have 54K miles on my car now and for the last couple weeks, my SLIP, VDC off, and BRAKE lights have come on during my morning commute. I did a quick search on here and found its most likely due to low brake fluid levels. I checked my fluid levels and they are quite a bit low but not below the minimum.

But my main question is why would the fluid level in the reservoir be going down? Does that mean there might be a hole somewhere in the brake system or brake lines?

I've tried looking for how to install new brake lines but I'm still not completely sure about the process. I don't want to get brake fluid all over the place. So do you just disconnect one end of the brake line and allow some of the fluid in part of the system drain out or is there a detailed process on how to do this? And if you have to keep the fluid level in the brake reservoir from being empty, wouldn't you need to keep refilling the reservoir which would cause the fluid to keep coming out of the open end of the brake line?

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
your pads are getting worn out, no need for new lines but do inspect them

The following users liked this post:
5150DS (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
OB '04 Coupe Premium w/Performance Wheel & Tire
+1^

Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by publet
I have 54K miles on my car now and for the last couple weeks, my SLIP, VDC off, and BRAKE lights have come on during my morning commute. I did a quick search on here and found its most likely due to low brake fluid levels. I checked my fluid levels and they are quite a bit low but not below the minimum.

But my main question is why would the fluid level in the reservoir be going down? Does that mean there might be a hole somewhere in the brake system or brake lines?

I've tried looking for how to install new brake lines but I'm still not completely sure about the process. I don't want to get brake fluid all over the place. So do you just disconnect one end of the brake line and allow some of the fluid in part of the system drain out or is there a detailed process on how to do this? And if you have to keep the fluid level in the brake reservoir from being empty, wouldn't you need to keep refilling the reservoir which would cause the fluid to keep coming out of the open end of the brake line?

Thanks for the help!
Pads are wearing, and you can lose very tiny amounts of fluid over time. It's a closed system, but there's no such thing as a perfectly closed system. And you don't have to be below the minimum to have the lights come on like you did. I had the exact same scenario, and adding fluid made the lights go off, but I still had a ticking noise from the ABS unit under the hood. ECU reset fixed that.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is about a two hour job to replace all four corners.
This would be a good time to think about new slotted and cross drilled rotors...
Well, only if your car shakes when applying the brakes.

Get a MightyVac bleeder from Harbor Freight to pull new fluid through your system.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
It is about a two hour job to replace all four corners.
This would be a good time to think about new slotted and cross drilled rotors...
Well, only if your car shakes when applying the brakes.

Get a MightyVac bleeder from Harbor Freight to pull new fluid through your system.
Or see if you can rent one. My local Advanced Auto Parts has a very nice bleeding kit they rent for, and I'm not kidding, $0. You just give them a $50 deposit which they return when you bring it back.

And OP, please do some research before you replace a brake line. In the most basic sense, it is just replacing the line and adding fluid. But that misses several very important things to watch out for, like never letting the fluid in the reservoir drop below a certain point because it could introduce air into the master cylinder. And being VERY careful about where any brake fluid goes, because it's extremely corrosive and will ruin your paint in a few seconds. You also don't want any air in your lines or you may not have enough pressure to stop your car. At a minimum, do some reading and have a friend help you if you're replacing your lines. Otherwise pay a professional to do it.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally would not even bother with the lines. You should be able to get twenty years out of them.

Definately think about new pads. New Fluid.

I forgot to post that in my first reply.