G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Exterior Trunk Release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior Trunk Release

My trunk release button doesn't work. I asked a mechanic friend why and he said it looks like the connection cable behind my bumper from the actual button is unplugged. How can I plug this back in and has anyone had any issues with their trunk release button? Thanks!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Can an 05/06 owner verify if the button is electronic or a physical cable like the hood? Could be a fuse if it is electronic. If it is a physical wire I would follow it all the way through the car.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bumping old thread, anyone know how to check what causes this button not to work. I know normally it wont open if the driver door is locked or something stupid, But mine doesnt work at all anymore.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts
I-key or none?

Without the I-key it appears that both the front passenger door needs to be unlocked (all doors unlocked) and the "cancel" switch in the glove box needs to be "on" (not cancelled) before that button will pop the trunk.

With the I-key it's a bit more complicated. That switch sends a request to the I-Key unit which sends a radio signal from the antenna mounted under the rear bumper to see if the fob is within range. If the fob responds, the I-Key unit tells the BCM to pop the trunk… Something like that.

If you can open it from the inside switch then you know the wiring and ground to the actuator are fine. If the trunk opens normally every way except by that button then check the wires to that button, the ground, then the antenna, then who knows?

Hope that helps.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
I-key or none?

Without the I-key it appears that both the front passenger door needs to be unlocked (all doors unlocked) and the "cancel" switch in the glove box needs to be "on" (not cancelled) before that button will pop the trunk.

With the I-key it's a bit more complicated. That switch sends a request to the I-Key unit which sends a radio signal from the antenna mounted under the rear bumper to see if the fob is within range. If the fob responds, the I-Key unit tells the BCM to pop the trunk… Something like that.

If you can open it from the inside switch then you know the wiring and ground to the actuator are fine. If the trunk opens normally every way except by that button then check the wires to that button, the ground, then the antenna, then who knows?

Hope that helps.
Yeah, i dont have issues with the interior release or from the i-key trunk button. It is just the exterior button. Looks like I'll have to do some wire tracing this weekend. thanks.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I beleive if you pull the rear trunk paneling off, you can access the button from inside the trunk

Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
You must have the I-key in hand or on your person when pressing the button under the left tail light. If this still doesn't work it is possibly the I-key antenna behind the rear bumper. What I see more than most is cars that have come recently from a body shop have the tag lights and I-key antenna plug in connectors swapped due to they are identical in comparison other than wire color. When this happens it normally damages the I-key antenna which is pretty inexpensive and may blow fuse for tag lights.