G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I hate pep boys. need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The speed rating T, not only has to do with the "speed" but also has to do with the ride. Our G's recommend having a V rated tire. Which is more of a performance tire but the car will ride and handle the right way. Yes V rated tires don't last long but don't always base your tire buying on mileage. As for your pulling, take it back to pepboys have them rotate all your tires. If they already did the pass side than just have them do the driver. If it stops than it is a radial push not pull from the left front tire. If it is the tire they NEED replace it because Michelin will give them 100% credit back on the tire. If they won't do anything call Michelins claims department start a claim and let them know your problem. They will tell you to take it to another Michelin dealer and have them replace it.

(Sorry for any and all typos. I'm writing this message on my IPhone.)

Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 68_GT
225 is wider than what you had ?

shouldn't be hard for them to adjust your steering wheel to straight up and down.

sounds like you may have something else wrong causing it to pull to one side ?

wait does it drive straight ? I got confused as to what's happening. Was it driving normally before the new tires / alignment ?
Well back at 35,000 miles I had the stock 215/55-17. Then I got the hydroedges 225/55-17, they just went and I got the same tires put on last Tuesday. My steering wheel was normal before the tires got put on, but the alignment was off as expected because the last one I got was a little over a year ago.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
do you have a print out? This overall can tell us a lot more then anything else.

you getting wider tires shouldn't do anything except give you a false reading on your speedo. I dont know exactly what but if your speedo says your going 60mph, you are not going 60mph. You have the wrong size tire.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubi2087
The speed rating T, not only has to do with the "speed" but also has to do with the ride. Our G's recommend having a V rated tire. Which is more of a performance tire but the car will ride and handle the right way. Yes V rated tires don't last long but don't always base your tire buying on mileage.
Not really. V-rated doesn't necessarily mean it's a better handling tire nor does it mean it will definitely wear out quicker. There are plenty of V-rated tires out there that handle very poorly. On a warm track, a summer V-rated tire will run circles around an all season V-rated tire. And the all season V-rated tire will run circles around a snow V-rated tire. It all comes down to the tread wear rating and tread block design. A tire with a 500+ rating will wear slowly and last a long time, but it will handle poorly. A 200 rating tire will wear out very quickly, but will handle light years better. Just like brake pads, the tires need to wear to perform well.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM
So do you guys think I should have them replace the tires with V rated tires. I think they will probably do it because the manager said he would have never sold me the tires if it were him making the sale.

Or

Just have them fix the tire if its bad, and not worry about them being T rated tires.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gman04
So do you guys think I should have them replace the tires with V rated tires. I think they will probably do it because the manager said he would have never sold me the tires if it were him making the sale.

Or

Just have them fix the tire if its bad, and not worry about them being T rated tires.
The manager is pretty stupid anyway if he said T-rated tires are correct for your car. That alone would make me doubt anything else he says. He has not shown himself to be trustworthy.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your tires. Just keep the speed under 120. The manager dosent know what he's talking about and the mechanics don't take pride in their work. The steering wheel can be off and your alignment can still be correct. They just didnt take the time to keep the wheel straight while doing the alignment. You're fine with what you have. Was going to pep boys worth the time and aggravation and the money spent on the third alignment by your mechanic? If I were you, I would demand a partial refund from pep boys for the alignment since they couldn't get your wheel straight. Show them that your mechanic did it on the first try.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 11-21-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
There's nothing wrong with your tires. Just keep the speed under 120. The manager dosent know what he's talking about and the mechanics don't take pride in their work. The steering wheel can be off and your alignment can still be correct. They just didnt take the time to keep the wheel straight while doing the alignment. You're fine with what you have. Was going to pep boys worth the time and aggravation and the money spent on the third alignment by your mechanic? If I were you, I would demand a partial refund from pep boys for the alignment since they couldn't get your wheel straight. Show them that your mechanic did it on the first try.
My mechanic hasn't done an alignment on it since Aug. 2010. I've been taking it back to Pep Boys because they'll repair it for free. Was it worth the aggravation to go to pep boys? No, it certainly wasn't but I figured they couldn't really screw something like this up. But in the end, they did. You live and learn. I guess next time I'll just spend the extra money and have my regular mechanic do everything from now on.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
The manager is pretty stupid anyway if he said T-rated tires are correct for your car. That alone would make me doubt anything else he says. He has not shown himself to be trustworthy.
It wasn't the manager who said they were correct. It was another sales rep that just simply overlooked the fact that they were T tires. The manager is the one who said he wouldn't have sold me the tires if it were him making the sale.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Sorry if what I posted came off wrong. I'm just saying that most of the time, you get what you pay for. Also, mechanics usually work something out with you if you mention that you found a place that does something cheaper. They'd rather do the work for a little less than lose the business.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure you're talking about radial pull. If there is radial pull, your car should swerve to one side when you let go of the wheel. This is true of radial pull even if the alignment numbers are within spec.. If this is the case, the tires are defective and you should have them replaced at no charge. This has nothing to do with you steering wheel being off unless you have to hold it that way to correct the car from pulling to one side. Hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gman04
It wasn't the manager who said they were correct.
Message 1:

so the manager looked it up and the he said these tires were not meant for my car because my car needs T tires

Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Gman04;6218923]Hey everybody. First off I have a 2004 g35x, I went to pep boys on Tuesday to get new tires and an alignment (I know big mistake). The tires I got were Michelin hydro edge size 225/55-17. These were the same tires I got at 35,000
they are lying...I never did trust manny moe and jack

Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 AM
If the rotation fixed the pull a little, then you should def go back to them to have them put on a new tire. Should have went to Americas tire. They will never hassle you