G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How hard do you drive your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Okay, I hit 5,000 rpm probably 4-5 times and I got 16.7 mpg. I was at a slight loss of words because I really don't even drive it hard because I don't want to ruin my shocks.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Revving it hard ruins your shocks???

WOW I learn something new every day around here...........

Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I get sideways
I do burnouts
I go offroad
And I even scrape................. But only in deep snow.

I do drive my car hard though. Been to Moab (miles of dirt roads), Huntington Beach, every mountain in Colorado (Hiking or Boarding) and still going. Hoping to hit the grand canyon and Socal again this year. My heavy maintenance keeps me and my car feeling great.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snowtrax
Okay, I hit 5,000 rpm probably 4-5 times and I got 16.7 mpg. I was at a slight loss of words because I really don't even drive it hard because I don't want to ruin my shocks.
The shock thing doesn't make sense to me but...... I average 20mpg and im heavy footed.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM
^ LOL you either? That's sig worthy...... wonder if driver will let me put it in.

I was pulling about 21.5 MPG Canadian (around 23.5 MPG US) driving the living crap outa this thing. I was SHOCKED. My old 30DEK Maxima couldn't dream of hitting those numbers with a smaller engine. I was lucky to get 25 MPG US driving miss daisy.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
177,700 miles and mine revs like a champ

The past week I've been going easy on it just to see how good of mpg I can get, but with the combination of the intake, coupe middy, and NO muffler..it's hard to resist hitting higher rpms . Multiple people who have heard/driven it say it sounds like a legit race car hahaha

Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Revving it hard ruins your shocks???

WOW I learn something new every day around here...........
Well it places more strain on the shocks when you floor it and more strain = shorter life expectancy. Also, taking hard corners wears them out too I believe.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyWay
I'm surprised you don't redline yours. Running your engine through the rpm's every once in a while is actually quite good on your engine, try it sometime. It will not hurt your engine at all, even if you bounce off the redline. The only way you could do damage is if you sat there for 20 minutes bouncing off redline.

Is your's stock? If it is, then your car does not handle perfectly. I just recently went back to stock shocks and springs and have noticed a huge difference in the way it takes corners. If you don't have them already, go get a set of coilovers and then let me know how your car handles!

Lol I'll see if theyre any better....but I give the stock suspension 7/10

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
replacing the stock shocks is not really that expensive on our cars . $70 per rear and ~90 per front, these are for the newer version of shocks on our G's by Tokico

I put on my Z springs on sport shocks at 39k, at 71k and still all is well.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
replacing the stock shocks is not really that expensive on our cars . $70 per rear and ~90 per front, these are for the newer version of shocks on our G's by Tokico

I put on my Z springs on sport shocks at 39k, at 71k and still all is well.
Hmm that's good to hear because the frost heaves here are just atrocious. So it would cost $320 to replace the shocks and they're pretty easy to do as well, correct?
But when would you think I would need new ones? The car has 98,000 miles.

Last edited by snowtrax; 01-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Well it places more strain on the shocks when you floor it and more strain = shorter life expectancy. Also, taking hard corners wears them out too I believe.
Please keep talking it amuses me.

Hmm that's good to hear because the frost heaves here are just atrocious. So it would cost $320 to replace the shocks and they're pretty easy to do as well, correct?
But when would you think I would need new ones? The car has 98,000 miles.
Easy is relative to your ability. If you're only doing the shocks you need to disassemble the strut assembly to install it. Do the strut mounts while it's apart.
Unless you have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge and an air compressor and impact gun, then I'd suggest you enlist someone else to do it.

to answer your question on when to do it, that's impossible to answer, but if your car has 100k miles and they've never been done, they're probably overdue.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Please keep talking it amuses me.

Easy is relative to your ability. If you're only doing the shocks you need to disassemble the strut assembly to install it. Do the strut mounts while it's apart.
Unless you have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge and an air compressor and impact gun, then I'd suggest you enlist someone else to do it.

to answer your question on when to do it, that's impossible to answer, but if your car has 100k miles and they've never been done, they're probably overdue.
I know they're definitely not overdue because it shows no signs of bad shocks. My brother has a e46 and it's gone 135k on the same shocks and it rides the way it should. My friend has a gx470 with 140k and the shocks need to be replaced now. The shocks are made to last 100k+ I just don't know how much.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I know they're definitely not overdue because it shows no signs of bad shocks. My brother has a e46 and it's gone 135k on the same shocks and it rides the way it should. My friend has a gx470 with 140k and the shocks need to be replaced now. The shocks are made to last 100k+ I just don't know how much.
Oh.... Ok.

So how do you check if your car needs shocks then, like, how do you know, like, when it needs them?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh.... Ok.

So how do you check if your car needs shocks then, like, how do you know, like, when it needs them?
Excessive nose-diving while braking, excessive nose lift while accelerating, excessive body roll, car continues to bounce after coming to a hard stop or when you push down on the car, fluid leaking near the absorbers, knocking noises, uneven tire wear...

I would know if they need replacing, the question was how long do they usually last(?) not do I need new ones(?)

Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkcityG
Lol I'll see if theyre any better....but I give the stock suspension 7/10
If you give the oem suspension a 7/10, then you will be blown away at the performance of coilovers. Especially if you couple those with some sway bars, and adjustable end links.

You do trade ride quality for performance, but it's well worth it in my book.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How hard do you drive your car?