G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 AT flush or drain and refill?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Either do the work yourself, if you have the space and time.

Or find a local gear head to do this. I dont know your location to recommend you someone. Dont pay the dealership to do such task like a ATF fluid exchange, unless you need it for warranty purposes.

its literally a drain plug and 10mm bolt on top to get to fill neck. Cost is up in the air.

Dealership has Matic-S ATF anywhere from $10-15 a bottle, you need 4-5 bottles. So it can be done for under $100. You can go on ebay and get Matic S for maybe less. Or use what I use and get castrol import ATF for $6.29 a bottle and it works for our G35's

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPTRANAMS_____
I would love to do it on my own. But i don't have the space and the equipment (measuring bottle and stuff) to do it. If i am to get the fluid, i will get it from infiniti dealer. They quoted $52+ tax for 4 quarts.

I went to another local shop. They asked $75 for drain and refill, fluid to be provided by me. So that would mean same price as infiniti dealer. I stay in sacramento. The infiniti elk grove quoted $180 for same thing which is surprising since Infiniti Sacramento said just $125.

I know its very simple, but its very risky for me. Don't wanna ruin a good car.

Originally Posted by 5150DS
Op, If you want to get a 90%+ change in fluid, you can drain and fill, driver the car to circulate the fluid. 5-10 minutes to get it up to normal operating temp. Do this 3 more times and you will have replaced about 90%+ of the fluid. Basically drain and fill 4 times. Honda strictly prohibits a flush on their trans to maintain warranty and recommends the above procedure.
I guess, i will do it over a period of a 4 oil changes. So it won't hurt my wallet and will have 90% change too.

Originally Posted by supG35x
Is there DIY for changing ATF? i saw the MTF on the website but not ATF.
Even i looked for the same. I found one. Here it is. http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm

Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by jin22gt
from my experience dont do the flush!!!!
I did the flush at the infiniti dealership and my transmission went bad within 500miles. I did the flush when the car had around 72k miles and i never had the transmission oil changed b4 that.
I had to get my transmission rebuild which cost me around 3k$.
Just stick with the drain and fill.
If you got the fluid exchange done at the dealership you have warranty for their work. Why did you pay to rebuild your transmission? I believe its 3months 3k miles for any work the dealer does. It should say in the receipt.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
If you got the fluid exchange done at the dealership you have warranty for their work. Why did you pay to rebuild your transmission? I believe its 3months 3k miles for any work the dealer does. It should say in the receipt.
So if i do ATF drain and refill, i would have something similar too or is it only for full flush?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supG35x
Is there DIY for changing ATF? i saw the MTF on the website but not ATF.
It's in the DIY video series.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm

The following users liked this post:
g35_white (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Thank you!~

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only done the drain and refill since my Infiniti dealership doesn't have the flush equipment.

I've done it around 30K and 60K, I'll be doing the 90K service sometime this year.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
I tried to get the infiniti dealership to replace my transmission, I even talked to the infiniti cosumers affairs, and all. They were saying that the transmission was bad already, and the flush would never make the transmission to go bad, only make it better.. Freaking BS.!!

They tried to give me a discount on a new transmission for around 4000$, i told them to go Fu#k ur self.!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I just picked up my car and it had minimal maintenance records with it. CarFax shows its been serviced 2x @ Gunn Infiniti but it was for minor things (tire pressure, wipers, inspection...). I have no record of oil changes or transmission work. I've been thinking about getting the trans flushed at the local Infiniti dealer but after reading some of the horror stories regarding trans flushing it makes me wonder if this should be done or not. I do have full coverage insurance that might help replace a transmission if it's bad, although I'm not sure the dealer has 3 month warranty on work. I'll have to call and double check.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drain and fill. Especially if has never been done before.

I have been told by some dealerships if it is brown and burnt color and shifting fine leave it alone, it would do more harm then good.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Drain and Fill.
Very easy to do.
Measure how much came out and put in the same amount with new fluid.

Bought the car used and the owner before me used Penzzoil ATF at 60K. Car shifted ok.
Drained it almost 2 years ago at 72K and used Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I have 105K now and the tranny is still shifting good.

I have read a few threads stating to use only Nissan Matic-S on these transmissions but mine is pretty much holding up with over the counter stuff. I will try the Castrol Import ATF this spring and see if I notice a difference.

Also, I just got a tranny flush on my Xterra a year ago and they used BG instead of the Nissan J-Matic ATF. Truck runs ok and I think it actually shifts better. I asked the Service Manager why they didn't use J-Matic and he said J-Matic is replaced by S-Matic but they have been having good luck with the BG that they use it all the time. I know the Parts Manager at that dealership and he said not to worry, he hasn't seen a broken down transmission after a BG flush. Transmission still has warranty by the way.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Orbital1
I just picked up my car and it had minimal maintenance records with it. CarFax shows its been serviced 2x @ Gunn Infiniti but it was for minor things (tire pressure, wipers, inspection...). I have no record of oil changes or transmission work. I've been thinking about getting the trans flushed at the local Infiniti dealer but after reading some of the horror stories regarding trans flushing it makes me wonder if this should be done or not. I do have full coverage insurance that might help replace a transmission if it's bad, although I'm not sure the dealer has 3 month warranty on work. I'll have to call and double check.
I had something similar when i got my G35. I did the Drain and Refill and not a flush. It cost me $121. Its just as good as it was before. Probably a little smoother. I won't recommend Flush from what i have read on this forum. Get the drain and refill done.