G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

17" or 18"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by asaini09
Yeah, I'll be staying away from the 17s.
It's just a matter of finding the 18s that look like the rays or something else that catche shouls my eye. I still have a few months before I gotta change from my winters.
What's the optimal tire size? I don't wanna go low pro. 225/45? 235/40?
235/40 is ok. Should have a good look

Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not too concerned with how the tires look, but rather the functionality.
225/45 or 235/40... which will have better performance?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
torn

ive been reading around not sure what i wanna do either. i know when the summer comes around i must have some rims. i really like the 19 rays but i heard they decrease ride quality quite a bit. on the flip side i heard the 18 ray wannabes actually increase ride quality while still going a little bigger and looking nicer then these 6 spoke 17s i have.

also i have an 04x i would need to run the same size rim and tire all around right? what if i got like 4 rear coupe rims or 4 front coupe rims? not sure which would be better but i dont want staggered.

found a guy on craigslist in my area selling a full coupe set rays 19s with tires 2 are like new and 2 have a curb rash. hes asking like $800 how much do you think i should offfer?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Many of you have mentioned getting the ray-looking 18s for your "x" sedans so you keep the same width all around as opposed to the coupe 19 rays which are staggered.

I have an x as well... what kind of problems will I run into if I run wheels with different width? Messes with the awd or something?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Many of you have mentioned getting the ray-looking 18s for your "x" sedans so you keep the same width all around as opposed to the coupe 19 rays which are staggered.

I have an x as well... what kind of problems will I run into if I run wheels with different width? Messes with the awd or something?
I'm wondering the same thing....from what i know we wouldn't be able to rotate our wheels. I was wondering if maybe we could use 4 rear rays 19s since they're the wider bigger one. I really wanna get some rays for the summer but where I live the roads are TERRIBLE I wouldn't be able to drop. So I really don't wanna have to roll fenders and get spacers and springs and stuff

Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah me either.... And I really don't wanna go looking for a pair of rays from two different people haha.

Is it possible to use spacers?

I just don't want the awd getting messed up.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I believe it has to do with circumference and not section width. If the circumference is close ( I believe nothing over 2%), you should be fine if your wheels are staggered. Maybe a long time x owner can confirm.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by G:Drive
I'm wondering the same thing....from what i know we wouldn't be able to rotate our wheels. I was wondering if maybe we could use 4 rear rays 19s since they're the wider bigger one. I really wanna get some rays for the summer but where I live the roads are TERRIBLE I wouldn't be able to drop. So I really don't wanna have to roll fenders and get spacers and springs and stuff
Has been done and should be fine.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The staggered width of the Rays isn't the direct cause of the issues. The problems come in with having to use different size tires on the front and rear. Tires with different rolling diameters will make the AWD system think it is slipping. There is a small tolerance for this, but I'm not sure on the exact percentage. It seems like it's in the 1%-2% range. Some X drivers have also pulled the AWD fuse to disable the system. I wouldn't recommend this, but you should be able to search for it in the forums if you are interested in going that route.

Personally, I went with the Coupe 18x8's all around so I could make sure and have exactly the same diameter on all four tires. Not only did this allow me to run the AWD system without worries, it also lets me rotate front to back and use my fullsize spare which happens to be the exact same rolling diameter as my 235/45/18 tires. The Rays look a little better, but they just weren't as functional for me.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
The staggered width of the Rays isn't the direct cause of the issues. The problems come in with having to use different size tires on the front and rear. Tires with different rolling diameters will make the AWD system think it is slipping. There is a small tolerance for this, but I'm not sure on the exact percentage. It seems like it's in the 1%-2% range. Some X drivers have also pulled the AWD fuse to disable the system. I wouldn't recommend this, but you should be able to search for it in the forums if you are interested in going that route.

Personally, I went with the Coupe 18x8's all around so I could make sure and have exactly the same diameter on all four tires. Not only did this allow me to run the AWD system without worries, it also lets me rotate front to back and use my fullsize spare which happens to be the exact same rolling diameter as my 235/45/18 tires. The Rays look a little better, but they just weren't as functional for me.
Good response thanks for the info I may try and just go with that setup. Would love to do the rays but I don't wanna be bothered with and scraping or Rollin fenders and stuff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.